Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

error code 17

Solved!

error code 17

How to resolve your error code 17 on window 7, it been 2 and a half months and you still have not resolve this situation.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

FINALLY GOT IT FIXED....HERE IS THE SOLUTION -

Got an email from Spotify Support:

You should be provided with the option to uninstall or repair. If you could choose repair, then hopefully this will repair your installation.
If this refuses work, before you open Spotify, could you please right click and choose 'Run in Compatibility Mode' please?

So I tried it and it still didn't work.  I decided to try another avenue to get Spotify so I went here:

http://download.cnet.com/Spotify/3000-2141_4-10912348.html

and I "saved" it to my computer.  Then when I tried to open it I chose 'Run in Compatibility Mode' following the prompts as they were given.  It finally loaded it in "Windows XP Compatibility Mode" and I finally have Spotify on my Windows 7 computer. 

If you have the same problem....try this fix....good luck.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@RAY-B - Maybe we can lend a hand. Can you try the steps in this post

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I had exactly the same problem as you -and for 2 years was unable to gain access to Spotify due to error code17 -I made a final complaint then received an email from "Support @ Spotify.Com" --I was asked a number of questions in the email which I replied to and sent back to them- THEY THEN FIXED THE PROBLEM FROM THEIR END !!! - and I was finally able to use Spotify again {prior to this I had been using "Grooveshark" being one of the suitable alternatives to Spotify}

Marked as solution

In my case, the reason I can't install/update spotify was because of a software restriction policy that prevents executables from running when they are located in the AppData folder. The workaround for my situation is this.

- Download the full Spotify offline installer (http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe)

- Run the offline installer. It will run for a bit then fail with an errorcode 17 error. Now even if you got the error, it should still have unpacked the files and placed it on your corresponding Appdata folder. If your Windows username is JDoe, your files will be on "C:\Users\JDoe\AppData\Roaming\Spotify".

- After locating your Spotify files in your AppData folder, copy the whole Spotify folder out into another folder on your drive. For simplicity, you can copy it to your C drive. So your files will be "C:\Spotify".

- From here, go into "C:\Spotify" and run the Spotify.exe file. Once Spotify shows up, pin program to Taskbar. Enjoy!

Marked as solution

So after installing Windows 10 my Spotify wouldn't open anymore. Solution found! In the file explorer window, search %appdata%. Spotify should show up in the list that appears. Right click on Spotify and select Properties. Select Compatibility tab and make sure the box is unchecked for Compatability Mode: Run this program in compatibility mode for (drop down menu). Deselected this and presto! Launched right away. 🙂 

88 Replies

When trying to download a new version (after uninstalling and reinstalling) i get error code 17 what do you suggest then?

tes. both

como corregir este error 17

I had to do a system restore & my Spotify stopped working when I did.  I redownloaded the set-up file & tried to install it again.  I keep getting Error Code 17.  I have deleted the file several times & have tried it again & again, rebooting my computer each time, cleaning out my web cache, my cookies, cleaning up my entire hard drive, disabling my firewall, everything that I can think of.  Nothing is working.  I keep gettiing the same error.  I'm lost without my Spotify!  Please advise!  =(

And I'm running the fully updated version of Win 7 Pro.

I deleted spotify because when I tried to open it it did not open ( but it did earlier that day) and when I tried re-downloading it, it kept giving me error 17. What do I do?

Windows 7 - Spotify Installer error code 17

I had the same issue but resolved by simply installing the spotify installer in safe mode.

For those who are not familiar with safe mode do the following:-

1) Reboot your computer and immediatley start pressing F8 during the inital boot sequence until you get the Safe Mode Menu.

2) Select Safe mode with Networking.

3) Start the Spotify Installer, if successful login.

4) Restart computer and start spotify normally

Hope this helps, worked for me.

I know I may sound like an idiot, but how do you reboot the system?

Hallo community Help Team,

Sorry,English is not my favourit Language. I'm a german girl 😉

Installation von Spotify klappt nicht Fehlercode 17. Was soll ich machen ??

Gruß Jasmin

Error code17

@mcvey55 wrote:

When trying to download a new version (after installing and reinstalling) I get error code 17 what do you suggest then?

@mcvey55 wrote:

When trying to download a new version (after installing and reinstalling) i get error code 17 what do you suggest then?

I have done the same and still can not put Spofity on my computer.....am very disappointed since I pay for it monthly!!!

I have the same problem....and when you pay a monthly fee for the service - it really makes you angry when you can't even download the program to your computer!!!!   They sent me some lame fix that still didn't work:

Error 17 is typically an installation error and can be resolved fairly easily. What is happening is the Spotify files left over from your previous installation are now conflicting with your new installation and are causing this error to occur.

If you could follow these steps we should hopefully get this back up and running for you.

1) You must delete all of your existing Spotify installation files.
2) You must search for any existing Spotify files including hidden ones in the old installation directories inside of your computer. You can do this in windows by searching for "spotify" from the start menu.
3) Once this is done, re-download the Spotify installation files from http://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/tech/clean-reinstallation-of-spotify/
4) Right click on the installation files and 'run as administrator' then install.

I have done as instructed multiple times and restarted my computer each time.  I still don't have it on the computer....but if it will help someone else...use it.

Hey guys 🙂 

Does downloading the full installer from this link help at all?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

FINALLY GOT IT FIXED....HERE IS THE SOLUTION -

Got an email from Spotify Support:

You should be provided with the option to uninstall or repair. If you could choose repair, then hopefully this will repair your installation.
If this refuses work, before you open Spotify, could you please right click and choose 'Run in Compatibility Mode' please?

So I tried it and it still didn't work.  I decided to try another avenue to get Spotify so I went here:

http://download.cnet.com/Spotify/3000-2141_4-10912348.html

and I "saved" it to my computer.  Then when I tried to open it I chose 'Run in Compatibility Mode' following the prompts as they were given.  It finally loaded it in "Windows XP Compatibility Mode" and I finally have Spotify on my Windows 7 computer. 

If you have the same problem....try this fix....good luck.

Took me weeks to figure out how to get rid of this error but I finally fixed it today.  You have to DOWNLOAD AN OLD VERSION of spotify.  I just googled it and found a download.  Then once it's downloaded you can update it to the current version!

Had the same error after having uninstalled Spotify and deleted all files in the AppData folders. Btw the reason for uninstalling was that I got Error Codes 14 and 18 when trying to run Spotify.

I tried a lot but the solution was to start Windows 8 via msconfig in Safe Mode with Network connection (before it was simply pressing F8 while booting) . By then I could install Spotify without problems. 

I hope I could help you!

yeah it finally also worked on my windows7 on XP Compatibility Mode...

however bad bug from spotify...
support could give us solve possibilities instead that we have to do this...

I don't pay this expensive abo for this!

To: ex1t
 who answered 

"I had the same issue but resolved by simply installing the spotify installer in safe mode.

For those who are not familiar with safe mode do the following:-

1) Reboot your computer and immediatley start pressing F8 during the inital boot sequence until you get the Safe Mode Menu.

2) Select Safe mode with Networking.

3) Start the Spotify Installer, if successful login.

4) Restart computer and start spotify normally

Hope this helps, worked for me."

Now here's somebody who actually is able to help with concrete advice that 1) WORKS 2) is easy to understand and follow 3) doesn't waste anybody's time in endless and futile uninstalling and reinstalling and rebooting and being sent to the forum. Why is this guy (of any gender he/she might be) not working for the support?

Thank you. Because of you this c**p took only 2 hours of my life. Appreciate. 

Right click on spotify icon and get properties

Under compatibility options

Mark and get Windows XP (Service pack 3)

Y listo 😜

Spotify is playing but there is no sound. Answer says Go to Solution, but when clicked it does not present solution. What to do?

Suggested posts