Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Roadie
chill3r

Re: error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

Thanks for the response David..

problem is, I had Spotify in my exceptions list in my Comodo firewall, however after the upgrade:

1) Comodo tagged Spotify as causing a buffer overflow

2) after uninstalling Spotify and downloading the latest Spotify downloader, the Spotify setup application was also blocked by Comodo (causing error 13)

Therefore, I uninstalled both Comodo and Spotify and reinstalled both and that seems to be the only (albeit tedious) solution...

Concert Regular
mrcoolken71

Mine keep sayin that the downloader is interrupted and I got Windows 7

Spotify
David

[ Edited ]

What browser did you try and download with? My first suggestion would be to try using something else (Google Chrome, Firefox) and see if it can download successfully there.

-----
Spotify
Music Lover
Skubbje

Fixed it!

I removed iTunes and reinstalled it, afterwards is reinstalled Spotify without a problem.

I hope i works for you as well!

Garage Band
darkdj09

[ Edited ]

sorry about this, this was a double post I just tried to delete it by deleteing the post content but it dident work. I would appreciate it if someone could delete this for me.

JSM
Garage Band
darkdj09

Well this is the problem im getting but the cause of it is not the same.

Im no spring yellow headed chicken when it comes to computers, in fact I have 6 computer qualifications despite being disabled with Aspergers Syndrome and Learning Difficulties.

For several months now spotify has been giving me the message "Failed to connect to spotify social" this didn't bother me much since I never really used spotify social so I would just close the error message and get on with it. A few weeks after this started I noticed I was now getting a new problem an error message saying spotify was still running after I had closed it, and this would still occur even if I had closed the Spotify process tree in the task manager. It seemed the only way to ensure spotify was closed after using it was to restart the computer.

Well today I decided to run the risk of re-installing spotify so I un-installed it with no problems (so it seemed), but now when I try to re-install spotify it is saying that the files that the setup program needs to write to are currently in use and telling me to to make share that spotify is not currently running. I have checked my virtual machine (windows XP mode) and it doesn't even have spotify on it. The only thing I can think of is that my laptop is networked to my other computers and they all have spotify on them.

But would that cause error code 18 ? Network sharing is not enabled on any of my computers for Program Files or Program Files X86 the spotify data store is not even kept in that location.

Basically im at a loss for an explanation. Could spotify be running in the background on my laptop of a Network location ? Could the files that the setup for spotify is referring to be native to another program ? Or could this be a problem with Spotify itself ?

JSM
Garage Band
darkdj09

Ok just a quick update, It seems there is another Spotify player running from someware on my system as I just solved the mysterious "Spotify cant connect to Spotify Social" issue I was having, were is Root Directory is, I do not know yet. Be back in a jiffy

JSM
Garage Band
darkdj09

after spending 3 hours looking for this I still cant mind it, or any trace of it, after spotify is closed. In other words it only starts on system startup.

JSM
Garage Band
darkdj09

sorted it for me, but more specifically, it was reg keys native to both iTunes and spotify, in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_USER hive in the software folder, just browse to the folder for iTunes and in the folder right click and click modify binary data, top row far right change the 0 to a 1 (it just turns the file off and all that file does is enables hardware support through the sound-card / on bord audio, you will still have audio, just wont be as clear through iTunes as it will be through everything else, change the 1 back to 0 to turn the file back on.), you should restart the computer every time you do this.

Anyway that's how I fixed it.
Good Luck
JSM
Music Fan
MarkGarcia

I had no problem Downloading the software the first time, it worked Great:) but a couple day later it would not even open. so I uninstalled it, and i attempted to restall it but in the midst of the install it stops and says i my files are being used by another procees (Error Code 18 ) ?

Announcements

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.