Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Roadie
chill3r
Accepted Solution

error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

I'm running Windows XP and I've recently uninstalled Spotify to get a clean install...  Grabbed the latest downloader and tried to install and am getting an Error 18:

"The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use  by another process.  Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry."

Well i've tried everything from rebooting, manually removing the spotify directory in C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Spotify and nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions?  It's torture without the music!

Roadie
chill3r

Re: error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

I should also mention that i've opened Task Manager, and there are no spotify processes running as well.. this is very aggravating..

Music Fan
4nto

Hey. 
I had the same problem.

If you are running windows, just go to start -> run -> type msconfig
Then go to - I guess it will be named "Start", and then unmark "Spotify". Restart your computer, and reinstall Spotify.

I hope it solved your problem :)

Cheers 

Roadie
chill3r

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work as well,

I've also read another suggestion in another thread that to run the setup.exe in compatibility mode which takes me a little further, but now i'm getting an Error code 13: "The installer is unable to install Spotify because the neccesary files could not be created"

I've removed Spotify files in Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Spotify, the app also does not appear in my Add/Remove Programs...  Is there anywhere else to look to clean this app out so I can reinstall?

Roadie
chill3r

Is nobody else having this issue? I've seen different variations in the forums... I just can't get past this Error 13 now :manfrustrated:

Roadie
chill3r

Are the spotify tech support not on these forums?  I've also sent in a form and i've still yet to get a reply from anyone... other than the automated message

I've since tried installing in safe mode w/ networking and that installed however I can't run the program when i go to normal mode... this is ridiculous.. almost been two weeks without the music...

Roadie
chill3r

Latest update:

Looking at my event logs, i've noticed that my Comodo Firewall has been blocking the Spotify Installer from doing its thing, even though I have it disabled at the moment...

Just for trial, I uninstalled Comodo, rebooted, and was able to install Spotify...

However, I refuse to run Spotify without having some type of firewall software in between and am going to keep tweaking things in Comodo to see what I can do to have it unblock... either that or hope that Spotify will come out with an update to support running behind Comodo...

Music Fan
emelie

I am having the same problem and nothing is working. i have tried all different ways that i found on different support pages but nothing works..... error code 17 and sometimes 18. what should I do?

chill3r wrote:

Latest update:

Looking at my event logs, i've noticed that my Comodo Firewall has been blocking the Spotify Installer from doing its thing, even though I have it disabled at the moment...

Just for trial, I uninstalled Comodo, rebooted, and was able to install Spotify...

However, I refuse to run Spotify without having some type of firewall software in between and am going to keep tweaking things in Comodo to see what I can do to have it unblock... either that or hope that Spotify will come out with an update to support running behind Comodo...

Roadie
chill3r

Alright so I somewhat solved the problem...

1) I removed all traces of spotify (check your appdata directory to make sure it's gone)

2) Removed Comodo

3) rebooted

4) installed Spotify successfully

5) install Comodo

6) tested Spotify and it still works fine

This is kind of a hassle just to get it working, but it works now...

Spotify
David

Those error codes mainly indicate a problem with Spotify connecting to the internet. Firewalls / Virus checkers might cause this issue, so adding Spotify to the exceptions list would be the first step I would do here, unless you have to reinstall the program like chill3r had to here.
-----
Spotify
Announcements

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.