Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Lover
tom4everitt
Accepted Solution

libssl1.0.0 (Debian Wheezy (Ubuntu Precise))

Hi,

I've just upgraded to Debian testing (Wheezy). I get the following error when trying to install spotify from repo:

spotify-client : Depends: libssl0.9.8 which is a virtual package.

The problem seems to be that libssl0.9.8 is no longer a package of Debian after Squeeze (stable), instead Wheezy only features libssl1.0.0 (which is part of OpenSSL). Since Spotify is so specific about the version of the ssl library, it won't install. 

Does anyone have a solution? Ideally, I think Spotify should fix this. One would think that the fact that the new Ubuntu LTS (12.04) also uses libssl1.0.0 (instead of 0.9.8) would be enough motivation :) (not much use depending on an obsolete library).

Music Fan
kainorg

Re: libssl1.0.0 (Debian Wheezy (Ubuntu Precise))

Spotify is hardlinked against libssl0.9.8 -- there are ABI changes going to 1.0.0.

You will need to compile your own copy of libssl0.9.8 (shared) to link spotify against.  If your system's Qt is built with SSL support (like Debian's), you will also need to rebuild QT against libssl0.9.8 too.  Make sure you don't install these built libraries where a different app than Spotify will see it though.

Music Lover
tom4everitt

Ok, thanks for the tip! I might do it at some point, running despotify meanwhile. Discovered it actually goes better with my Awesome window manager :) (same "geeky" minimal feel). 

Music Lover
frankmulder

I read that Spotify will fix this in the next release, but in the meantime just install libssl0.9.8 from here: http://snapshot.debian.org/package/openssl098/0.9.8o-7/#libssl0.9.8_0.9.8o-7

I hadn't thought it was so simple but it works. Just pick the right package for your architecture and install it. It didn't cause a conflict with libssl1.0.0 on my system (aptosid, i.e. debian unstable).

Music Lover
shaxmitra

[ Edited ]

1)Open:

/etc/apt/sources.list

2)Change:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

to
       deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

3)Save and Exit

4)Run command:

apt-get update

5)Install libssl0.9.8 by for example aptitude:

aptitude install libssl0.9.8

6)Open:

/etc/apt/sources.list

7)Change back:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
to
       deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

8)Run command:

apt-get update

searching for libssl with aptitude:

aptitude search libssl

i libssl0.9.8 - SSL shared libraries
              i libssl1.0.0 - SSL shared libraries

you now have both the old one and the new one, install spotify as normal. Dont know if this is a good solution, but it works. Spotify should change the sourcecode of the distrubution to check for libssl0.9.8 and if it is not there, check for libssl1.0.0 this could be done with a simple if statement?

Anyway, my spotify now works on my wheezy edition of debian !

Gig Goer
Spacepenguin

[ Edited ]

I'd rather wait for a more recent spotify-client. I hope they won't hardlink such libs again and make it more flexible. I don't want some outdated lib on my system which someday might conflict in a dist-upgrade. 

Music Lover
MutantTurkey

Here is a solution guys!

Download the package from here:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libssl0.9.8

then in a terminal do this:

dpkg -i /path/to/downloaded-deb-file.deb

It should install the package fine, then go ahead and run

apt-get install spotify-client

Festival Fanatic
rodmur

Well, now, Wheezy has been released as the stable version of Debian, so libssl0.9.8 is not available at all, unless you really want to go to oldstable.  Spotify, it's time get up with the times... it's time to upgrade.

Music Lover
sabueso

Debian have a fantastic response time for updates , so, it would be awsome enjoy an updated version of Spotify, one week later of the stable release of Wheezy (and not to downgrade the ssl packge...)

Thanks!

Label Star
leamas

[ Edited ]

One disadvantage of installing the squeeze 0.9.8 ssl package is that it is installed system-wide, posssibly affecting other applications. An alternative is to use the installer at github. Before using, install the qt libraries if they are not in place by

$ sudo apt-get install libqtgui4 libqtdbus4 libqt4-network

After this, just follow the README and make e. g.,  an user install. The installer bundles the 0.9.8 ssl libs in the installation directory, so it's only spotify which will see them. This makes the overall system a bit more clean.

Problems? Refer to the installer thread

Announcements

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.