Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Lover
Potter
Accepted Solution

loading on startup

I DO NOT want Spotify to load automatically when my computer starts.  I would like to just clik on the desktop icon when I want to listen, and otherwise not have Spotify come on at all.  Can anyone help me remove it from auto loading upon turning laptop on? thanks.

Singer
jvanderb

Re: loading on startup

Hi Potter!

Welcome to the community!

This is actually a fairly simple thing to do.  First, open Spotify if it is not already open.  Then, from the Edit menu at the top of Spotify, select Preferences.  Scroll down just about to the bottom of the preferences screen, and you should see something like this:

Screen Shot 2012-03-28 at 10.10.18 PM.png

Go ahead and select the "Don't open automatically" option, and then exit Spotify.  This should prevent Spotify from opening each time you start the computer. 

Hope this helps!

Music Lover
Potter

hey, thanks so much!  I actually went to edit but I didn't scroll down there, I just looked a bit and didn't see anything that would help, duh.  thank you for responding.

Music Fan
DaveFromNJ

I totally agree with you.  Loading on startup is so obnoxious.  Adobe does this also.  And here is the problem.  Many times the wireless network is not fully initialized.  So when startup applications try to make service calls that sit there until the timeouts occur.  It makes the boot up process take forever!!!!  I am glad spotify is nice enough to allow you to disable it.  But at the same time I think it is extremely bad etiquette to do it in the first place.  Just because Windows gives you opportunity to do something on startup doesn't mean you should poop on the system.  Most people are not smart enough to figure out how disable your default.  I bet the same people who are doing this are the same ones who say the most disresptful comments against Windows platform.

I am surprised Microsoft doesn't provide tools to its users to lock this down and prevent it in the first place.

Music Fan
DaveSpotify

That looks like the answer, but it doesn't work. I'm about to uninstall Spotify for the second time because of the auto-load issue. For me, it loads whether I have that setting on or off. Maybe it happens because I've never upgraded to the pay version; could it be nag-style advertising? It would be a shame if that was the reason because I won't spend money on Spotify until I know I can stop the autoload.

Music Fan
Stormblade

I totally agree... however my PC is a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz dinosaur and auto loading on startup lags my booting sequence up horribly... good thiing you posted this question

Music Fan
Beercules

This does not work for me. I have the paid version of spotify (premium) and the "Don't open automatically" option ticked, but it still opens on startup... I have tried all the simple solutions (msconfig, regedit, ccleaner etc...) but nothing seems to work. A solution to this would really be appreciated. And don't give me the simple solutions, I've tried them, they don't work... Hit me with the advanced solutions! 

Concert Regular
GeeK

[ Edited ]

Same here, premium account, setting doesn't do anything. Tried it all. We either need a dirty fix or an update, what's up spotify engineers?

Seriously, don't be scared to suggest a 'difficult' method if you have it. This feature is broken, period.

SYSTEM INFO:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    GEEK-PC
System Manufacturer    SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model    700Z3A/700Z4A/700Z5A/700Z5B
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2675QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 13FD, 3/29/2012
SMBIOS Version    2.6
Windows Directory    C:\windows
System Directory    C:\windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name    GeeK-PC\GeeK
Time Zone    Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    7.92 GB
Available Physical Memory    5.49 GB
Total Virtual Memory    15.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory    13.1 GB
Page File Space    7.92 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

Gold Streaming Artist
hpguru

You may also be able to remove this thing by using CCleaner program.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 50M/25M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Concert Regular
GeeK

[ Edited ]

Nope, here are my startup settings in ccleaner (latest version).

LINK TO FULL SIZE IMAGE

Capture=spotify.PNG

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.