Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gig Goer
butteredelf187
Accepted Solution

music i've bought from itunes won't play on spotify

ok well i was listening to an album by a day to remember on spotify from the starred playlist. i decided i liked the album so i bought it on itunes. and now it won't play on spotify. when i go to starred it will show the album with a music note sign next to it showing that it's in my library from itunes but it won't play anymore. why not? just because i bought it on itunes it won't play at all. That's the same thing for another album too. i listened to it on spotify for like 3 days straight, then bought it on itunes and now it won't play on spotify. it's really annoying. I went to the local files playlist and all the music that i've bought on itunes won't play on spotify. please help. i'm on windows 7 if that helps. i have a premium account but it's only the trial one.

Singer
jvanderb

Re: music i've bought from itunes won't play on spotify

[ Edited ]

Do you get any error messages when you try to play music purchased through iTunes?  One thing that might be worth trying: download and install the most recent version of QuickTime (http://www.apple.com/quicktime ) Spotify depends on Codecs from Apple in order to play music, so if something got messed up, that should help resolve the issue.  If it doesn't, what happens exactly when you try to play these tracks?

Gig Goer
butteredelf187

ok i'll try that. but no i don't get an error message. it just won't play.

Spotify
David

[ Edited ]

Some tracks purchased on iTunes come in a version of the .m4a format called ".m4p".

These tracks generally feature some Digital Rights Management system that Spotify is not allowed to play, sadly. We have some more information on this here.

-----
Spotify
Gig Goer
butteredelf187

it worked! i updated my itunes because i have been putting it off and it works now. thank you

Spotify
David

Lovely! Thanks for letting us know that. That'll come in useful!
-----
Spotify
Music Fan
marlodgoff

I was having the same issue and this worked right away.  THANK YOU!

Music Fan
Ripeporksta

it worked for me too....Thanks!!

Music Lover
yeff2

I downloaded the new itunes and my stuff still won't play on spotify...

Spotify
David

Hello,

You might want to try installing Quicktime onto your computer. This also installs a codec that often allows these tracks to be played. 

-----
Spotify
Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.