Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
cbrowne91
Accepted Solution

"Failed Loading Skin" error message

Recently whenever I click the spotify icon, it comes up with an error message saying "Failed Loading Skin". The program never starts.

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Gig Goer
lynnribbons

Re: "Failed Loading Skin" error message

I have the same problem.  Did you get it sorted ? and if so please tell me what you did!

Community Manager
Meredith
For your Spotifyes only
Name:
Department:
About me:

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

This happened to me a couple weeks ago. Performing a clean reinstallation should get you back to your music. 

If you're using a Mac, it's key that you do both of these steps first:

• Manually delete these folders:
    • ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  • Delete the Spotify application in the Applications folder

See this link for more detailed steps on reinstalling your app. 

--------

Looking for tunes?

What I've been listening to

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Gig Goer
assblunt

This happens on my Windows XP -computer. I have unlimited account that I use in my household in about 3 other computers (2 with OS X and one with windows 7) but only this XP-computer gives the "Failed loading skin" -error message.

I can get it to work when I uninstall spotify and reinstall, but after I shut down spotify or restart my computer this same message pops up. 

I'm getting pretty fed up with this and haven't been able to find a solution from anywhere!

spotify error.JPG

Gig Goer
lynnribbons

Thanks for your reply.

I've been cautious about uninstalling Spotify as I was concerned that I would lose all my music...but I will give it a try.

Thanks again.

Music Fan
johnabdella

I too have this problem and am fed up with loading and unloading. Fortunately unloading does not take my local files with it.

Doesn't Spotify have an answer to this?

Gig Goer
assblunt

Yeah seriously! After a two months and no reply from the moderators except the fix for Os X. Even a message from the Spotify that they are looking in to this matter should be necessary.
Gig Goer
Treadfire

Maybe it's a patch or update they put out... I mean the problem only popped up just in the past few weeks, and maybe when we uninstall then reinstall, once we close down spotify its trying to update, thus screwing it over again.. thoughts?

I've been going through lines of code and even more lines of forums to find a solution, but I haven't found anything yet. It's driving me crazy. I'm on windows, and I'm tempted to go back to a restore point before all of this to see if I can get it running again...

Gig Goer
Treadfire

Yes, okay. Got it running. I restored it back a bit.

On windows 7, right click on the icon, go to properties, then the tab that says previous versions, then give it a sec to find an old restore point, then click open on it to test it out. If it works, then great, make a copy of that version, stick it on your desktop and run with it for now. If you shut it down and pull it back up and it still works, then full restore spotify to that. If that doesn't work, then I have NO idea what to tell you.

I don't know if that restore previous version thingy works on xp, if not then try your full system restore to the most recent restore point.. and if you don't have that... then goodness, i REALLY don't know what to tell you.

Music Fan
vildewilma

I got it working (on Windows 7) by running Spotify in compatibility mode as XP SP3.

Hopefully that can help someone else as well! :smileyhappy:

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.