Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Lover
Vegerot
Accepted Solution

"High quality streaming"

What is the "quality" of "high quality streaming" in relation to the iOS app?  Like, is high quality on the desktop only as good as high quality on iOS, or is it as good as Extreme on iOS?

Award Winning Artist
hpguru
I'm a Community Rock Star

Re: "High quality streaming"

[ Edited ]

Hey there!

Thank you for your nice question.

Extreme quality - 320 kbps.

High quality - 160 kbps.

Normal quality - 96 kbps.

In desktop app 320 kbps is high mode and 160 kbps normal quality.

Hope this helps! Have a nice day and enjoy your Spotify.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 50M/25M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Music Lover
Vegerot

No.  This doesn't answer my question.  I'm asking if, when I check the "high quality streaming" option in Preferences on the Mac, if it's equal to or worse than "Extreme syncing" on iOS

Award Winning Artist
hpguru

Hey,

In desktop app high quality is 320 kbps and the other one is 160 kbps. So no 96 kbps mode in desktop.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 50M/25M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Community Legend
SteveBrammer

Normal and High quality on desktop are 160kbps and 320kbps respectively.

So High on desktop = Extreme on mobile.

Music Lover
JoseO

Until a few minutes ago my desktop streaming was quite acceptable (not sure what bitrate I was listening to) but now it sounds like I am listening to a 16kbps stream. I do not have premium, but I am OK with listening to ads every couple of tracks... Any one else experience this sudden drop in quality?

Music Lover
JoseO

Oops - Turns out it was my bluetooth headset which switched to a mono headset profile instead of A2DP... so all the audio from my computer sounded awful!

Garage Band
TECH101

Are you saying that despite i tick "High qualty streamong" in Preferences, i only get 96 k ?

I can understand on the Free account, but what if you are on Premium ?  Are you still streaming at 96k, or 160k ?

Peter
Kudos: 11,843
Solutions: 3,262

TECH101 wrote:

Are you saying that despite i tick "High qualty streamong" in Preferences, i only get 96 k ?

I can understand on the Free account, but what if you are on Premium ?  Are you still streaming at 96k, or 160k ?

It depends on the platform you are using. 

On the desktop applications normal quality is 160kbps and high quality is 320kbps. 

On the mobile applications normal quality is 96kpbs, high quality is 160kbps and extreme quality is 320kbps. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Fan
rudyberk

if i'm an "unlimited" subscriber, is high quality still 320 on the desktop platform? or lower (meaning is 320 only for premium)? thanks!

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.