Concert Regular
Merzbow
Accepted Solution

spotify vs grooveshark music quality

How come the sound quality is better at free services such as grooveshark than high quality streamin in premium spotify? What is the difference between the default flash player that outshine even spotify? Might it have something to do with the Realtek HD configuration that makes spotify sound muffled in comparison?

Spotify
David

Re: spotify vs grooveshark music quality

In your Preferences menu, ensure that "High Quality Streaming" is turned on. You might also find some sound improvements by turning off "Enable Hardware Acceleration" and "Set the same volume for all tracks"
-----
Spotify
Radio Star
AbsolutelyNoFB

David has some good suggestions. Definitely turn off the setting that tries to make the volume the same for all the tracks. That adds further compression and limiting to the sound processing and does not help sound quality.

I've found that the quality of Spotify's source material varies a lot. So when put through Spotify's lossy conversion process using Ogg Vorbis, some music just comes out sounding muffled and flat.

While I haven't used GrooveShark, I have experimented with Rdio. Spotify's high quality streaming mode is, for my ears and my music, a bit better than Rdio. Not hugely so, but it is noticeable.

If Apple's streaming service does indeed end up streaming music with the same quality as music purchases, it is a step or two above Spotify's high quality mode.

Personally, I wish Spotify would provide a FLAC streaming mode. I'd even pay extra for this. It'd be great to have CD quality (or better) music without having to deal with CDs and SACDs and all that :-)

Gig Goer
liveaudio

Sound quality on Spotify Premium is truly banal.  When will improvements be made to this otherwise decent platform?

Peter
Kudos: 11,198
Solutions: 3,124

What device are you listening on? On my desktop using Spotiamp (at 320kbps) I struggle to hear the difference between Spotify High Quality and FLAC files (but that may just be my ears!).

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Gig Goer
liveaudio

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

FiOS into the house, fancy router, new iMac, SoundDevices USBPre2, Meyer HD-1 loudspeakers for my desktop.

I've tinkered around with settings but just now discovered a version of Bombino by Azamae Tiliade on Youtube that sounds better then them all!  Krazee....I cannot compute.

Peter
Kudos: 11,198
Solutions: 3,124

It is possible you have stumbled upon a very small percentage of the Spotify catalogue that still isn't available in High Quality.

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Gig Goer
liveaudio

Indeed.  

A marvelous song ... worthy of the HD treatment if any are.

thx. d

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.