Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP 7.5] Windows Phone spotify problems

Solved!

[WP 7.5] Windows Phone spotify problems

Love spotify, had it on iPhone and on android before but this WP7 app is a bit iffy:

-  Nearly always offline

-  Cannot ff/rw in songs (no scroll)

-  randomly decides to show nothing as synced offline

-  NEVER syncs (wifi or 3g) (i force it through playing ALL THE SONGS when connected so it stores the songs, but it won't sync a playlist i just add as offline)

hope this will be fixed in an update ^^

Especially the ff/rw coz i love dubstep and those songs are long 😛

81 Replies

I have HTC radar and since I upgraded my spotify to premium, I cannot play any music, It freezes when It is about play the song. Please somebody help me I reinstalled it more than 10 times

Spotifyyyyyyyy.......You sleeping? Here is too much bugs..... maybe you can fix....

The biggest issue that i have on my Lumia 800 is the playback performance. It stutters too much. That's why i downgraded my acccount from premium to unlimited. If Spotify wants that i take ever Premium again they have to fix this problem.

Seriously, wake up Spotify!

Any news from the devs yet? :S going to buy an android phone in a week, but this is getting annoying

I tried to report the problems through the formal support channels:

Dear Spotify Support,

I use Spotify on my Lumia 800 Windows Phone together with my car audio system (Skoda Superb) and I'm seeing some severe issues in the bluetooth implementation.

If I receive a phone call during playback, Spotify refuses to continue playback afterwards and only way to make it play again is to reboot the phone. Not a very good solution while driving.

Same happens if I make a phone call. Also when I arrive at my destination and disconnect from my car the same issue happens.

This is a showstopper for me as 99% of my Spotify use is while driving. Most of my driving is business related so I need to be able to make and receive phone calls while driving. The fact that Spotify breaks down in either case is unacceptable.

The last update to the WP app was in November 2011, which is worrying. Can you confirm whether these issues are noticed and if they are being worked on? Can we expect to get an update to the WP Spotify app during 2012?

If this is not fixed I'm seriously considering to cancel my account since at the moment Spotify is mostly useless to me. This is a shame since I really like the service.

Best regards,

Aslan

This is the reply I got:

Hi Aslan,

Thanks for getting in touch. We're very sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
We're working as hard as we can to ensure everyone gets a reply to their e-mail.

Currently Spotify does not support Bluetooth protocols. This is why you experience the problems you are having.

I will pass on your comments so if we support Bluetooth in the future our development team knows it is an issue.

For all Spotify news including when we bring out support for things such as Bluetooth you can keep an eye on our blog: www.spotify.com/blog

If you need a hand with anything else please let us know.
Kind regards, 

Christine, 

Spotify Customer Service - Cambridge 
This makes absolutely no sense so I replied back:
Hi Christine,

Many thanks for your reply. However I don't fully agree with the reason you gave me. The way I have understood it is that Spotify doesn't need to support Bluetooth per se, it is up to the OS to provide Bluetooth support. Windows Phone does support streaming audio via Bluetooth. Also the Spotify app for Android and iOS can correctly play music over Bluetooth and does not have the issues I have described in my email. This is confirmed by me by testing different phones with my car.
Based on this I am claiming that this issue is related to the Spotify Windows Phone client. I hope to see these  issues addressed in future updates.
For the time being I'm using an extra Android phone as my in-car Spotify jukebox to go around the issue.
best regards,
Aslan
I have not received any further replies. Fortunately my car supports a scenario where you have one phone connected over the bluetooth as a phone and another bluetooth device connected as the media player. This way I can use my now simless Galaxy S2 as a Spotify jukebox and use my Lumia as a phone. Far from perfect but workable. Hopefully WP as a platform grows enough that Spotify can no longer afford to handle the client so poorly.

This is so unbelievable... it is total b***hit that spotify don't support Bluetooth.. In Android for example, there is even a setting for Bluetooth in the spoti-client, but not on WP.

I can confirm that the phone itself (Lumia 800, WP 7.5 F/W 12070) support very good BT audio and AVRCP 1,3 support works flawlessly WITH NOKIA stock musicplayer. The artist/songtitle shows up in Car display (Ford Focus 2012) and no problem changing song/rewind/fastforward etc.

BUT SPOTIFY CLIENT DOES NOT SUPPORT ANY OF THIS, HARDLY PLAYBACK...

Yes, Spotify seems more problematic on my HTC Titan than I expected.  When it worked, which was once, it worked well. Now it won't even log in.  Too bad.

lets all change to zune and cancel our subscriptions

Awesome idea, but not available in Finland...

i live in brazil both zune and spotify are not avaliable here but i use a vpn to subscribe and after that works because you have unlimited travel in both services

if u need a good vpn service try http://www.strongvpn.com/

Yes, I'll change to Zune or Wimp if Spoitfy is not updating the **bleep**ty WP Client real soon

Bugs, bugs, bugs, bugs, bugs, and more bugs.

I think Spotify is probably the most buggy app that I have on my phone atm 😕 It is even worse than Skype which is considered as a beta app for my phone (Nokia Lumia 800). I made a short list of bugs/problems I have seen on Spotify:

- It EATS UP the battery on my phone because of the background process (To view this, go to Settings > Applications > Backrgound tasks > Advanced)!

- Sometimes playlists doesnt want to play that has been enabled in offline mode. Unable to give any description on how to reproduce this bug.

- Sptofiy spends a lot of time on starting up now and then (Also unable to give any desc. on how to reproduce).

- Suddenly, all the playlists I have made available in offline mode is gone (No desc on reproducing as well)

- Randomly crashing when starting to play some tracks.

- If you start annother application while listening to music, such as Youtube, you have to restart Spotify to continue listening. 

I really hope they fix the bugs mentioned, because I use Spotify every day. I'm a premium subscriber and these bugs really gets on my nerves 😞

They should make a system that sends in logg such as stack-trace, etc. to Spotify if something goes wrong/crashes, because they REALLY have to do something about this.

I've atleast got a solution for the problem that if you switch applications you have to start up spotify again

on lumia 800, if you hold the 'back' button (the arrow-button on the left side of windows icon) for a couple of seconds you can see your latest applications, and if you click spotify in that list it goes to where you were before switching, without loading!

Just discovered this the other day. I hope it made sense.

Are we allowed to reverse engineer the application? I allready reverse engineered the code (deobfuscation) and I am a bit dissapointed. The exception handling is just nada. Example:

private static void WritePlayListImageToDisk(some parameters here)

{

try

{

using (someobjectforwritingfile blablabla)

{

try

{

blablabla.save();

}

catch (Exception)

{ }

}

}

catch (Exception)

{

}

finally

{

release();

}

}

(Code is from UIAppServices.WritePlaylistImageForTileToDisk)

There are TWO catch-blocks where theres NOTHING for the exception handling. After experience from C# programming, blocks like this really causes headache. They don't even notify that something is wrong. So, yeah. Im impressed. 

I'm disappointed by the reaction on my email to the customer helpdesk:

My email:

Hello,

There are so many problems in the Windows Phone 7 App when will there be an update of this app?

See topic : http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Windows-Phones-Blackberry/Windows-Phone-spotify-problems/td-p...

Kind regards,

Stefan

Answer Spotify:

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your message.

Please keep checking the Spotify/Microsoft website for info about updates of the Windows phone 7 app.

If you have more queries then please feel free to write again, as we want to make sure you Spotify experience is fun and flawless as possible.
Kind regards,

David

And yes, Spotify does not know when update comes.

No one know at Spotify. Spotify does not have any developers for this, just asked help from Microsoft to develope this app. And all.

So bad thing... app need a update soon.

I don't think so. I think some of the dev-teams coders works on projects in pararell. On most platforms, Spotify is coded in C++. However, the Windows Phone plattform does not support C++ and they can not re-use any of the code for other platforms (PC, iOS, etc.). Therefore, development for the WP platform takes more time. My theory is that some of the team members took courses in C# development for WP and wrote an application for it. Even though I do not got any education regarding programming, I still have some experience with C# programming by server development. From my point of view, there is not much organization in the code. Most classes are mashed into the same namespace. So I guess it is someone with not so much experience in C# that made the application (Spotify could have hired someone to code it as well) and they got help from Microsoft. 

Remember, it is just a theory. I don't know anything about how they have organized their dev-teams.

Unsubscribed a week ago. No idea of paying extra for worthless mobile apps.

Even with good concepts, you can fail with utterly appalling realization of the idea. Trying is not enough, please try harder, dear Spotify.

Suggested posts