Garage Band
mazze_germany

[WP8] App crashes when it stays in the background

[ Edited ]

The app crashes when idle in the background. This seems to be a common windows phone problem as it happens with rdio and deezer as well but not with Xbox music or Nokia music, so it must be possible to fix this somehow.

The main inconvenience is that when listening to a playlist in shuffle mode you are constantly required to relaunch the

playlist thus ending up listening to the same songs over and over again. 

Concert VIP
sepp0

Re: Idle closes the app after x songs

Got the same problem on my Lumia 920. If I don't use my phone and let it lock my screen or just leave spotify playing in the background using my phone for other stuff, Spotify will close/crash and stop playing any music. I know endomondo sports tracker has an option in the app which says "run in lock screen" or something which allows the app to continue running behind the lock screen. Shouldn't be too hard to fix?

Other:

In the WP 7.5 app there were playcontrols on the lock screen The black volume bar that pops up doesn't give the same integrated feel as the older app did. Not really a bug, but a small detail which would increese the apps "feel".

Community Manager
Community Manager
Per

Re: Spotify for Windows Phone 8 bugs go here

mazze_germany wrote:

The app crashes when idle in the background. This seems to be a common windows phone problem as it happens with rdio and deezer as well but not with Xbox music or Nokia music, so it must be possible to fix this somehow.

The main inconvenience is that when listening to a playlist in shuffle mode you are constantly required to relaunch the

playlist thus ending up listening to the same songs over and over again. 

When you say idle, you mean you're not doing anything else on you rphone? I.e. it's locked and in your pocket?

Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more storage space!
Community Manager
Community Manager
Per

Also, is there a certain amount of time, or a timeframe, in which you would say it crashes?

Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more storage space!
Garage Band
mazze_germany

[ Edited ]

Yes, that's correct. The phone is locked and I don't do anything else with it, but the song is paused (it doesn't happen as long as some music is being played). I'm on the latest Portico update (Lumia 920).

It's worth noting that the app also crashes on incoming phone calls and when connecting to and disconnecting from any bluetooth device (also when NOT paused). When idle, the app tends to close itself within the first minute, but max within the first 5 minutes.

Actually it doesn't matter whether I still interfere with the phone or not, as soon as the song is paused Spotify will simply close down (or maybe it is being closed down by Windows Phone due to some battery saving plan, which is what I would rather assume given that it also happens with Rdio and Deezer).

Music Lover
Drewtech

Re: [WP8] Spotify for Windows Phone 8 bugs go here

Phone: HTC 8X

OS Version 8.0.10211.204

Network: Three

Bug: when pausing a song the app seems to time-out or freeze after a while. i.e. If I pause a song and come back a few minutes later I can't resume play without going back into the original playlist.

Comment: Great App.

Request: can we have a library view added?

Music Fan
isaacmcn

Can vouch for this as well. The app seems to time out after a song is paused for a while. Same thing used to happen in WP7.x as well. I want to switch back to Spotify from Xbox Music as the service is much better, but the state of the Spotify app is stopping me.

Festival VIP
Diaz9910

Here is my experience. (Lumia 920):

Song playback fails when resuming Spotify. Example. If I hit pause on my headphones, and change screens on my phone (effectively sending spotify to the background), when I hit play again it starts up the default player instead of Spotify if more than 2 or 3 minutes have passed. 
Also, if I manually go into my Spotify playlist and try to select the track I was listening to, the application locks up and I have to exit Spotify, close the app, and relaunch it to get music playing again.

Let me know if yo uneed any other info. Hope this helps.

JD 

Music Fan
schaub818

I'm experiencing the same issue on my Lumia 920.  If I pause a song in the Spotify app and then either navigate to another app or lock my phone, after about a minute or so I can no longer resume playing the song, nor can I start playing any other songs in the Spotify app without first completely closing the Spotify app and then re-openning it.

Music Lover
marciano7601

schaub818 wrote:

I'm experiencing the same issue on my Lumia 920.  If I pause a song in the Spotify app and then either navigate to another app or lock my phone, after about a minute or so I can no longer resume playing the song, nor can I start playing any other songs in the Spotify app without first completely closing the Spotify app and then re-openning it.

i'm having the same issue here, sometimes i do have to do a power cycle or a soft reset to get the app working. Lumia 920 user as well. Also a bucket list of glitches too.

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.