Help - Web Player

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert VIP
tim_acheson
Accepted Solution

Spotify WebPlayer fails and prompts for Flash

The new WebPlayer is fantastic! BUT it is buggy and inexplicably does not work on certain computers. I have checked with friends and found at least two others with the same problem.

E.g. on my work PC, the WebPlayer does not load and instead prompts me with this message:

"To enjoy Spotify please install Adobe Flash. It's free!" with a green "Get Flash" button.

Installing the latest version of Flash does not fix the problem, even after rebooting etc. This affects all browsers including the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox. On my personal laptop, oddly the problem does not occur in Chrome. No problems at all on my work laptop.

I looked at the code and it seems the WebPlayer does not seem to technically require or use Flash to play the MP3 files (hosted on CloudFront).

Please disable the Flash requirement on browsers that support HTML5!

MichaelJerzak
Topics: 59
Kudos: 291
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 13
Solutions: 68

Re: Spotify WebPlayer fails and prompts for Flash

Hey! Welcome to the community tim_acheson, have you tried reinstalling flash?
Michael
I AM NOT A SPOTIFY STAFF MEMBER| I'm a Spotify Community Expert
Was this information helpful to you? Give me kudos or accept as solution, if so!
Concert VIP
tim_acheson

Hi! Yes, I tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest version of Flash on both affected machines. Flash is installed and working.

I'm a web developer myself, and naturally I've had a quick look at the code to try and determine the problem. The problem is not obvous, but from what I can see is that on my laptop where it does work the WebPlayer does not even use Flash.

Peter
Kudos: 12,474
Solutions: 3,427
I'm a Community Rock Star

I think flash might be needed to decode the tracks, I am not sure but I can't imagine it would be in there if it didn't need to be! 

I don't see why it wouldn't work on any computer with chrome, since chrome has flash built in! Unless it is disabled in the settings menu for some reason?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert VIP
tim_acheson

[ Edited ]

I can confirm that Flash is definitely not needed to play the audio. I have verified that when the player is working it is not using Flash. I have verified that the tracks are MP3 files (stored on CloudFront) and are not being decoded. The MP3 file is being played by native HTML5 and delivered by direct download not streaming. Client-side URL based security is being used rather than in-file DRM. For obvious security reasons I will not to into more detail. A Flash application is present, presumably as a fallback for browsers which do not sufficiently support the necessary HTML5 media features, but Flash is not required and not used by my usual web browsers whenusing this WebPlayer.

SUMMARY: Flash is not needed to use the player. However, due to this bug, in certain environments a "download Flash" message is displayed, and the bug is preventing the player from loading.

Liam
Topics: 141
Kudos: 1,557
Ideas: 16
Solutions: 448

It isn't prompting you in Chrome because Chrome comes with it's own flash player built in.

I suggest you try installing the flash player from internet explorer.

Concert VIP
tim_acheson

"It isn't prompting you in Chrome because Chrome comes with it's own flash player built in"

Apologies, I think perhaps you're not understanding the problem. Flash is not required by the player in Chrome and not used by the player in Chrome. Besides, the problem clearly occurs in other browsers.

Of course I could use IE8 with Flash but that would be rather pointless because WebPlayer is capable of working in Chrome either with or without Flash!

Liam
Topics: 141
Kudos: 1,557
Ideas: 16
Solutions: 448

tim_acheson wrote:

"It isn't prompting you in Chrome because Chrome comes with it's own flash player built in"

Apologies, I think perhaps you're not understanding the problem. Flash is not required by the player in Chrome and not used by the player in Chrome. Besides, the problem clearly occurs in other browsers.

Of course I could use IE8 with Flash but that would be rather pointless because WebPlayer is capable of working in Chrome either with or without Flash!

Flash is required. It just doesn't ask for it because it is already installed.

The webplayer doesn't work with IE8. I was saying use IE to download and install windows global flash player, and then do the same for all other browsers.

Concert VIP
tim_acheson

[ Edited ]

"Flash is required. It just doesn't ask for it because it is already installed."

No, that's incorrect. But either way, the WebPlayer is wrongly informing me that Flash needs to be installed (and this occurs in other browsers not just Chrome as stated in my original post). This is the bug which I am reporting here and the main point of my original post.

"use IE to download and install windows global flash player, and then do the same for all other browsers"

Already tried that, as stated in my original post and also repeated in subsequent comments. But in any case, this does not address the bug which I am reporting in my original post -- it's still a bug.

Furthermore, regardless of anything we've discussed so far, the fact remains that the WebPlayer does NOT require or use Flash when it is working normally in the latest version of Chrome.

Thus, not only is this certainly a bug, but actually the code which causes the bug is totally redundant on my preferred browsers (because it's Flash detection code and I have verified that the WebPlayer works without Flash on these browsers).

Spotify
Spotify
dan

Hi There

I can confirm that flash is indeed required (and used) for audio playback in the Web Player, despite e.g. Chrome having native html5 audio support for Mp3.  

But, if you're getting the "flash is unavailable" message on the latest version of Chrome that is a problem, as flash is baked into the browser.  Do you mind letting me know which operating system you're using?  Also, do you experience very slow loading of assets before seeing this message?  Does the message appear if you e.g. switch to a different wireless network or plug in a network cable?  And on any other browser (e.g. IE10 if you're on Windows 7/8)?  

Cheers!

Dan

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.