Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gig Goer
shadowfaks13
Accepted Solution

Can't sync local files to iPhone

I've tried looking for answers for a couple of hours on this forum and all over online, but I can't find any solutions and I'm getting frustrated.

Basically, it seems to be a pretty common issue but I can't find a fix.  When I make a playlist on my desktop with songs from Spotify mixed with local files, the Spotify songs will appear on my phone but the local files appear greyed-out and unplayable on my mobile.

The root issue seems to be that desktop client isn't recognizing my mobile under 'Devices' even when they're both logged into the same account.  I have even tried changing network settings to no avail.  If I was able to have the client recognize my iPhone and then sync, I believe the local files would show up the phone.

If anyone has any ideas that have worked for them, please share.  I am currently under my free-trial period and will cancel before the 30 days unless I can get a fix for this.

Gig Goer
shadowfaks13

Re: Can't sync local files to iPhone

Nothing?  What's really dissapointing is that I've seen topics on this issue as far back as FEB and there are still no fixes.  How can such a pervassive issue not be addressed more quickly?  Especially considering this is a SUBSCRIPTION service.

Spotify
David

Hello,

You might want to try reinstalling Spotify on both your computer and your iPhone. You can find instructions for reinstallations right here.

-----
Spotify
Music Fan
jfwund

I am having the same problem, and it's massively frustrating. My iphone is using the same wireless network as my mac, yet I cannot listen to my "local" files on my phone. They show up but they're greyed out. FWIW I am a premium member in my first month.

And yes, I did the uninstall/reinstall trick and it had no result.

What is causing this? Can this be fixed?

If not, then the information on spotify's website about listening on your mobile phone is extremely misleading. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Music Fan
michaelkoss

I am having the same problem. I followed these steps to try to fix it:

1. Uninstall Spotify from my iPhone
  2. Uninstall Spotify from my Windows 7 PC
  3. Download new install from spotify.com
  4. Reboot computer
  5. Reboot iPhone
  6. Reinstall Spotify on my PC
  7. Reinstall Spotify on my iPhone
  8. Connect iPhone to PC via USB cable
  9. Mark playlists as Available Offline
  10. Wait
  11. Fail. Local files still show as grey in Spotify mobile--they play just fine through the PC install.

I love Spotify and I want to continue using it. However, if I cannot intermingle my local songs that are unavailable through my subscription, it is pointless.

Gig Goer
shadowfaks13

I'm seriously shocked at how this hasn't been addressed.  There's dozens of these threads with people needing help; heck there's a 12 page thread on this forum alone that seems to never leave the first page.  What's the advice given by the community managers?  To attempt gimmicky work-arounds that help some and not others.  It's not their fault, but this issue needs to be addressed with a real fix instead of these band-aid solutions. 

Why not just allow a connection to the iphone via USB as seemingly hundreds have suggested?  Instead I am asked to prod, tweak, and change firewall/virus software/router settings that I have no knowledge about.  This is frustrating to no end and just plain bad customer service.  I will be cancelling my premium subscription until this gets fixed and I implore everyone else who is as frustrated as me to do the same.

Music Fan
tsvala

I have the exact same problem for a while now and it's massively frustrating !! I've been using spotify since it's early days when it was still completely free, and I've had a premium account since the day they started charging money for it. I haven't had this problem forever, just suddenly one day it wouldn't sync the local files to my iphone anymore. I tried reinstalling it both on my phone and Mac, but it doesn't help. PLEASE, PLEASE solve this problem, spotify? 

Music Lover
owain81

I have the same problem.

Wake up Spotify! do something about it, were giving you our money.

Owain

Ara
Music Fan
Ara

I have the same Problem. Can´t sync my files.

Music Fan
voodoohumphrey

I had this problem too and resolved it as follows:

•  Disconnected iPhone from cable attached to Windows 7 laptop
  •  Closed iTunes
  •  Closed Spotify on Windows 7
  •  Opened Spotify on Windows 7
  •  Enabled WiFi on iPhone and made sure it was on the same network as my laptop (waited until connection bars appeared)
  •  Opened Spotify on iPhone

I was then able to see my iPhone in my devices and can synchronize local and Spotify files.

I have the latest Spotify version and upgraded my iPhone to iOS 6.

Hope this helps,

Esther

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.