Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Feedback Request: iOS Offline Issues

Solved!

Feedback Request: iOS Offline Issues

Hello everyone! Spotify here.

We are looking into customer reports about issues with offlined playlists on iOS devices (music which is downloaded to your phone so you can play without an internet connection). Our investigation shows that some folks might have experienced some issues with this so we were hoping you could answer some questions to help us diagnose the problem.

1. Have you made a playlist available offline which you could not play without any internet connection?

2. Have you made a playlist available offline which constantly downloads when you start Spotify?

Thanks,
Team Spotify
506 Replies

Is your account showing as free or premium on your online overview

If a payment did fail, you should have gotten an automated email to say Spotify where unable to withdraw funds.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Just adding a,"my ish is f'd up" datapoint.  Offline content is generally unaccessable without WiFi/data connection.  IP5, numerous clean installs, re-synchs, chache/history clearings, etc etc.

Was content reverting back to iOS4 version of the app, which functioned fine for most of the past year (just less features than the iOS6/7 versions), but after I updated from iOS6 to 7 it no longer is any better than the new version of the app.

Will be cancelling my subscription if this isn't fixed by the end of the year..

hi,

I've been experiencing the issue every time I open Spotify, since the start of November. All of my playlists are being rebooted each time I'm starting the app in online mode, and if I start it in offline mode, I can't even see the playlists at all! all I'm getting is the "Loading" icon. Please fix it soon!

Hi,

I've been having trouble with offline playlists ever since I started using Spotify (premium subscriber). My problems are two-fold:

1. My iPhone 4s doesn't show up under "devices" even though the computer and the iPhone are on the same WI-FI network, and the firewall on the computer is turned off.

2. The only way to get offline content to my iPhone is to actually play the songs one by one, as download of the songs doesn't start even though I mark a playlist as "offline". I can download playlists just fine if I disable the WI-FI connection and use the 3G data connection on the phone, but this seems like an expensive solution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated 🙂

I've decided to cancel my subscription because the offline function is not reliable, and it's the only aspect of the service that's superior to Apple's new free service. I would consider coming back if Spotify can fix this.

constant offline issues. clicking "overview" is a death sentence to the app offline. playlists constantly crashing. everything will be back to normal as soon as im back to wifi. utterly pointless 

Just recently purchased an Ipod Touch 5g and subscribed to Spotify Premium based on the positive experience I have had with the free desktop version. I decided to upgrade to premium specifically to use the offline listening feature, which is great... when it works. Since I began my subscription I have had to  re-sync my playlists every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times, to use the offline listening features. Also, when I logged in to my acct using my desktop, there was a message saying offline access had been withdrawn. I researched the FAQs and it seems I am doing everything correctly to maintain my subscription, so the FAQs were less than helpful. I still have a few weeks left on the free trial before I am charged, so I will keep trying to find out why I am having these issues. As I mentioned before, I really enjoy the service and all of the features on Spotify, but I am not going to pay for a subscription that only functions half of the time, if I keep experiencing these problems, I will cancel premium and try a different service. 

When I am offline on my iPhone 5s I cannot star a song nor add the song to another playlist.

It says:

Could not load tracks
This tracks are currently unavailable. Please try again later.

This feature works on my iPad but not on my iPhone.

My partner uses Spotify Premium on her I Pad and can find every Now CD from No.6 to 85. I use an I Phone 4S and can't find hardly any Now's. I use Spotify Premium as well. Could anyone help a dummie lol thanx Nelly

FYI, datapoint:  updating to 0.9.1.230 and doing a fresh install/resynch on my iP5 seemed to take care of my offline issues.  Finally!

After the latest update, the search function no longer takes my own playlists into account. I.e. I no longer get results from my local playlists on top of the search results. If I do track search for "Billy Joel", I used to get "Billy Joel - Piano Man" up top, as this track is in one of my playlists.

Please bring back this function, as it was a very welcome way of quickly finding songs when I'd forgotten which playlist they were in.

Also, if songs that are stored in playlists appear in search results, why not display what playlists they're currently in as well?

I  have had a serious issue (serious being to come close to resolving it I must reinstall the app) where I will sync my music for offline play, and random songs, or on a few occassions, full playlists and albums will not play. When I try to play the song, it appears with cover art and everything, but it behaves as if I'm waiting for it to buffer (I've waited for awhile, it doesn't)

My various attempts to fix the song and their results are as follows:

Connect to the internet and try to play the song - does nothing

Kill the app - does nothing

Hard reset and/or turn iPod off and on - does nothing

Turn playlist off and on for offline - does nothing

remove said track(s) from playlist, and re add - does nothing

delete Spotify app and re-install and re-sync - fixes some songs, while breaking others

I'm using and iPod touch 5g, I'm syncing somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 songs, according to the Spotify desktop app I have 9.76GB free. My speculation on the problem has been that the synced file got corrupt. The only solution I can imagine is the ability to reset the cache possibly? Or a more thorough way to delete a song, deleting all stored data on my device about the song. I realize this is the iOS forum, but my friend running Spotify on Android has had the same problems. Let me know if I can expand upon any information.

@Abeiterboy wrote:

I  have had a serious issue (serious being to come close to resolving it I must reinstall the app) where I will sync my music for offline play, and random songs, or on a few occassions, full playlists and albums will not play. When I try to play the song, it appears with cover art and everything, but it behaves as if I'm waiting for it to buffer (I've waited for awhile, it doesn't)

I'm having the same problem as well on my iPhone 5. Curiously though, it only happens when headphones are plugged in. As soon as I remove the headphones, the song begins to play. It doesn't matter what type of headphones it is, the problem persists regardless.

I'd really like to not have to listen through the iPhone's speaker only. Please fix this.

I am facing the same both 1&2 offline issue. I am not sure whether it relevent with the fact that I am in China now. The sync speed is extremely slow and even it could download some songs in the lists randomly. However, I found that if I could play a song completely when the button "avaliable offline" is on, that song will be downloaded. Does it my problem or the spotify's problem - -

Good morning

I am not sure if my problem is the same but daily when starting the APP on an Apple 5 I am asked to log back in, when I do all of my tracks are not downloaded, i have to then sync over 3000 tracks.

It is driving me mad!

Hi I am new to Spotify and i am experiencing problem number 1. I have my playlists availible offline on my computer and they are set to green. However the same playlists on my iphone5 is IOS 7 are set to availible off line but the arrows are greyed out and not green. I have no other music on my phone as i removed the itunes music.

Spotify is crashing on me and closing each time I try to open it because it says browsing is no available in offline mode. (I am not able to do anything before it shuts down) on iPhone 5's latest iOs

I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 7.0.4 and the Spotify app is 0.9.1.230, while my account is Free User. My issue has to do with the local files playlist. Whereas I managed to sync the playlists that I want, containing ONLY local files. I understand that having offline playlists is a premium feature, but is that even applicable when we're dealing with local files? I would love to have Spotify as my standard music player, both for online and offline content, but as it is now, it does not work.

I create a playlist containing several local files. I sync it with my iPhone. And then the "fun" begins: Sometimes it all works like a charm, I just push "play" and the music starts, even if I am offline. Sometimes, it is required that I log in, then the music starts and I can go offline. And sometimes, most of the times, the music tracks completely disappear, as if the syncing never took place.

I tried re-installing the app, but it didn't work. I also un-linked the files, that didn't help either. Maybe I am mistaken and it really is the case that only premium members can sync their local files. If not, I am open to any suggestions.

Iphone sync is so Slow!, why can iphones and ipads sync offline songs just like the ipod?, with the cable would be so much faster than wifi!

That only works for local files though, not Spotify content. 😉

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts