Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Feedback Request: iOS Offline Issues

Solved!

Feedback Request: iOS Offline Issues

Hello everyone! Spotify here.

We are looking into customer reports about issues with offlined playlists on iOS devices (music which is downloaded to your phone so you can play without an internet connection). Our investigation shows that some folks might have experienced some issues with this so we were hoping you could answer some questions to help us diagnose the problem.

1. Have you made a playlist available offline which you could not play without any internet connection?

2. Have you made a playlist available offline which constantly downloads when you start Spotify?

Thanks,
Team Spotify
506 Replies

How many files have you already offlined on that device?

How can I check that?

I see 18,5 Go of Spotify music sync on High Quality.

When for example, I try to launch the synchronization of a new playlist even if I delete one sync. It's the same problem.

Only a reset of the device on the spotify website solve the problem for just for a short time... 😞

Well doing some quick maths, I would expect 3,333 (which is the max allowed on one device) tracks in High Quality to occupy about ~15GB of space.

I have seen issues in the past where undownloading playlists hasn't freed up the content licenses to download more content, so I suspect that might be what you are seeing here.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Indeed! There is a limited number of files !

I found this on the spotify website :

Remember to disable offline mode the next time you want to stream. You can sync a maximum of 3,333 songs per device and stay offline for up to 30 days. Enjoy!

So I think that maybe that's the problem of everyone is this really small limitation 😞

My issue is with music purchased off of iTunes. I have a Beatles album and a couple of iTunes exlusive albums that play from local files on my computer, but do not sync with the Spotify app on my iPhone 5.

@ChristineCC - Have you synced that device with your desktop Spotify?:
https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/Sync-your-device-with-Spotify

Peter

Yes, all the other files sync. Only the ones that are iTunes proprietary don't. My phone does not show up in my devices, although I am definitely on the same network. I have even tried creating a WiFi network from my laptop specifically to link my computer to my phone, in case there's a firewall on my router. 

Does your computer have a firewall? If you are using Windows you may need to disable the built in Windows Firewall.

Peter

My laptop is a Mac. There shouldn't be a firewall. But as I stated, I created a WiFi network to directly connect my laptop to my iPhone, bypassing the router, and this did not fix the issue. Again, it is ONLY with my iTunes songs (Beatles and iTunes exlusives), my guess is some sort of DRM that doesn't allow the iPhone app to recognize files. I even put these songs on my phone to see if it would access local files on the phone. But that didn't help. 

Spotify can't play .m4a files that are DRM protected, so I guess that could be the issue.

Peter

Why Spotify will make an update to put more offline playlist on mobile devices?

I mean 3333 songs is really not a lot:(

I can't listen to streaming everyday 😞

@Kinoal wrote:

Why Spotify will make an update to put more offline playlist on mobile devices?

I mean 3333 songs is really not a lot:(

I can't listen to streaming everyday 😞

Could just be me, but I would have thought 3,333 songs was heaps.

I believe the limit is due to 9,999 songs being the maximum possible limit to save offline on your account. It's 3,333 songs across three devices (3,333 x 3 = 9,999). I think it's due to licensing.

Well i am only able to sync around 40 songs off line so i think there is another issue here not just a limit! It's rubbish! 

@navhundal wrote:

Well i am only able to sync around 40 songs off line so i think there is another issue here not just a limit! It's rubbish! 

Hey there. You'll be able to sync more than 40 tracks. Please try freeing up some space on your device - does that help?

Check out how we're doing: @SpotifyStatus

Did this help? Please click 'Accept as Solution'.

Hi!

i for some reason cannot play any songs anymore from my playlists. they are also not offline available anymore. if i want to play them it tells me i should upgrade my spotify app. i am a premium member and i have a subscription. it never asked me this before. can anybody help me out with this issue?

cheers!

Driving me nuts and considering stopping spotify!!!

Surely dowloading to your iphone should be a simple process.

When I first signed up it was a bit clunky getting songs to iphone to listenb to off line but with a bit of patience and playing around it worked.

Now the oonly way I can seem to get them to my iphone is to listen to every song in full and then it dowloads to the phone.

Not really sure what to do.

PC and phone should sync automatically and even the software on the main site is really clunky.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

@henryrw wrote:

Now the oonly way I can seem to get them to my iphone is to listen to every song in full and then it dowloads to the phone.

My method of syncing songs offline is to leave the phone unlocked (so disable Auto-lock) then let it run while connected to wifi. You should see the syncing process in the main Playlists screen at least.

Hello!

I'm using spotify on iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.1 as a premium user. Downloading lists is not working well. Sometimes it starts but stops after 5-20 minutes. Now I can't make it to work, but I have undownloaded lists. I have 21 lists set to offline mode.

Is it a bug or I do something wrong?

Is it possible you have hit the 3,333 offline track limit?

Peter

I have only 1594 downloaded songs and around 600 waiting for download.

Suggested posts