Music Lover
slala28
Accepted Solution

How much data does Spotify use monthly?

I have 2 GB of data available monthly, and was wondering if this would be enough to support listening to Spotify regularly 

Nyx
Bedroom Songwriter
Nyx

Re: How much data does Spotify use monthly?

My sister has roughly that limit on hers and I don't THINK she goes over data limit. I'm not 100% sure. I can only go off the fact that she hasn't gotten rid of her Spotify Premium account and uses the service solely through her Android smartphone.

Another way to look at it is the average MP3 is about 3MB in size. Spotify downloads to your device once and that's where it plays from. So, if you've got a 2GB limit, that means you've got to download roughly 600+ songs per month just to reach the data limit, and that number even takes into account about 66.666666666667 MB of data for other uses.

I dunno about you, but I can't even FIND 600+ new songs a month! ;)

Gold Streaming Artist
hpguru

[ Edited ]

Hey,

Spotify recommend Unlimited data plan. I use only Unlimited data plans on my 3G internet. With my smartphone I transfer in mnoth 6-15 GB data and with my internet stick I transfer about 80-150 GT data. I use 3G as my main internet connection.

I have limited internet. How much bandwidth Spotify need?

Spotify use P2P excl. Mobile, so no one can answer it right. To eliminate data usage, download tracks to Offline (Premium) and from File or Mobile app settings enable Offline mode. Also you can stream in Mobile with lower sound quality.

Quality 96 kbps => 0.72 MB per minute. (Only in Mobile these days)
Quality 160 kbps => 1.2 MB per minute. (Free, Unlimited, Premium)
Quality 320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute. (Only Premium at Desktop, mobile streaming in this quality coming soon)

With online streaming you may need a lot bandwidth. But you can also change cache size to 100 GB. This helps keep the network requirements down as it enables more caching. Also this depends on how much you listen music.

To original poster:

I think that 2 GB isn't much for regular use. In Online listening this monthly data is gone in just some day. Do you have a Wifi at your home, at your friend, school, library etc? You can download those playlists you want to Offline using Wifi.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 50M/25M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Music Fan
Coachintx

I have the 2G and it has always been plenty for iHeart radio and SiriusXM.  I rarely go over 1G.  Since adding Spotify, I used almost 3/4ths of a Gig in a week.  That is basically just at the gym for an hour a day.  I will always make sure I am on the gym's WiFi, or I will drop Spotify.  Love it, but it is a data sucker!!!!!

Gold Streaming Artist
hpguru

Re: How much data does spotifuggle use monthly?

Coachintx wrote:

I have the 2G and it has always been plenty for iHeart radio and SiriusXM.  I rarely go over 1G.  Since adding Spotify, I used almost 3/4ths of a Gig in a week.  That is basically just at the gym for an hour a day.  I will always make sure I am on the gym's WiFi, or I will drop Spotify.  Love it, but it is a data sucker!!!!!

Hey there.

Thanks for your opinion.

Actually Spotify is online music service - you can download tracks for offline use, but in most case you still need data, if you want to scrobble music to last.fm or if you hear and ad pointing to listen album x "Now available" -- you need data to listen it. Offline usage is limited to downloaded playlists, so it will be poor usage of Spotify.

I don't suggest paying more for data -- if you listen with earphones, the difference in sound 160 kbps vs. 320 kbps is little, so make sure you use on monile 160 kbps sound. I have now 256 kbps mobile internet without limits, it is included into my month fee of my plan 2,90 € month. I stream 160 kbps and I'm fine -- I use earphones, so I don't even hear any difference about 160 vs 320 kbps in mobile use on the go or when I'm bicycling! I think there is no need for 320 kbps if you use earphones.

At home I use always 320 kbps, because I have better Bluetooth headphones there.

Please keep in mind, if you stream online music one hour in day and in month 31 days it will be:

96 kbps: 43 MB in hour, 1339 MB (1.3 GB) in month.

160 kbps: 72 MB in hour, 2232 MB (2.2 GB) in month.

320 kbps: 144 MB in hour, 4464 MB (4.4 GB) in month.

If you listen more than hour, it will be more data usage, or if you listen less, less usage.

My point is that if you do not need 320 kbps quality (you use earphones or do not want to pay more for faster data/unlimited data/more data usage) you will be fine with 160 kbps. If you use earphones with "lame sound" like 10 € earphones, you can also try 96 kbps in mobile!!!

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 50M/25M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.