Close
Music Fan
JayT
Accepted Solution

How much data does spotify use on iPhone?

Does the app use much of you alloud data on iPhone? 

Spotify
David

Re: How much data does spotify use on iPhone?

[ Edited ]

It depends on how you use it. If you sync tracks before hand over a wi-fi network and then only use it in offline mode, it wouldn't use up much data at all. However, if you stream over 3G a lot, then it can start to add up.

I tend to sync tracks offline that I know I'll listen to a lot, and swap them out over a Wi-Fi network when needed, or streaming the odd track over 3G in those "need to listen" moments. 

-----
Spotify
Gig Goer
Apophis23

Generally Spotify will use up A LOT of data if you are not careful. While this is usually not a problem when using WiFi, it can burn through your monthly 3G data plan within hours. This is clear if you stream music but the amount of data used is still quite high even when listeing to synched music (around 20 MB per hour), even if synching over 3G is disabled. I am not entirely sure why this is.

There is a lengthy thread about this issue in the Android forum but I definitely notice this for iOS as well.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Spotify-Android-app-using-a-LOT-of-data-on-3G/td-p/46...

The only way to completely disable the data traffic, is to enter the offline mode.

Music Fan
rscottyb86

Yes, it uses a bunch of data.

I got hit with unexpected overages in the first month. I didn't understand why, so aI ran a simple test.

I killed ALL of my apps, rebooted the phone, then used ONLY spotify for a single 24 hour period (no other apps were started). Keep in mind that I have it set to not sync over 3G, AND I had it set to OFFLINE MODE for the entire 24 hour period. In that time, 10m of my plan was used by spotify alone, and that was me using it ONLY in my car for morning and evening drive - less than 1 hour total.  Needless to say, I can't use spotify with this level of usage.

Festival Fanatic
Snowball

It will take up probably all of your data after a certain amount of time.

Mine got up to 3.6GB

And I only have a 8GB phone.

Found this thread then (MONTHS AGO):

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod/Clear-Cache-Button-Needed/td-p/2329/page...

Stll no word from spotify. Guess it will never be fixed..

Spotify
David

Snowball - That's something slightly different. From what I understand, this is referring to Spotify using the data allowance on your phone contract, rather than the amount of space used on the device itself.
-----
Spotify
Music Lover
ruperthulme

hi,

i have found the same thing myself.

i read somewhere that spotify relies a lot on peer-to-peer technology (kind of like Bit Torrent if you're familiar with that).

So, when you launch spotify, you are inadvertantly uploading content from your phone onto other spotify user's devices.

If you can check with your 3G provider how much data you upload vs how much you download, i'll bet there's an enormous amount of uploaded data...

Does anyone know if there's a way to configure spotify to limit the amount of uploaded data? Probably have no chance on the iOS version, but could probably do this with android...

Gold Streaming Artist
hpguru

[ Edited ]

Hey there,

Spotify is P2P only in desktop, not in browser or mobile. There is no need to limit upload data as mobile apps does not use P2P in Spotify.

In desktop app there is some waym however, with them you can limit upload usage:

- Listen more underground music, because then less people requesting this content.

- Limit cache from Preferences to 1 GB, this provides less content to share with world.

- Listen Spotify from your lovely mobile phone when you need upload speed in your PC. (Premium feature)

- Listen Spotify from Web Spotify (play.spotify.com) NO P2P here, currently Beta available for some folks like me.

If after that Spotify uploads way too much content to other users, install firewall app and limit Spotify upload bandwidth manually.

I think some free firewalls can support that.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Music Lover
amul100972

I was wondering if there is a way to setup spotifiy to used downloaded playlists by default prior to hitting data plan to stream?

Thanks

Peter
Kudos: 9,396
Solutions: 2,609

amul100972 wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way to setup spotifiy to used downloaded playlists by default prior to hitting data plan to stream?

Thanks

Hey! Welcome to the community :)

If you have a playlist downloaded for offline usage, the Spotify client should play those tracks locally (even when you are online) so it doesn't eat your bandwidth. If you want to be safe, you can always force the application into offline mode from the settings menu.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Community PM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Announcements
Win free Premium
We're fans of music around here. And amazing animated GIFs.
So, for our next competition we're combining the two.

Join our new contest here.

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.