Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to delete songs from playlists I follow?

Solved!

How to delete songs from playlists I follow?

Hi everybody,

I use the Spotify iPhone App and I have a Premium account.

The way I use Spotify is:

I make new playlists like "All Motörhead songs", put a lot of songs in those playlists, then download it all on my iPhone while I´m at home and while having WIFI. Then, on lang business trips or flights, I listen to the songs in offline mode. And I just delete every song out of the playlist I don´t like. So that at the end I have a playlist with just my favorite Motörhead songs.

Now while this deleting of songs works perfectly for playlists I made by myself, it does not work for playlists made by others (playlists I follow). For instance Spotify Toplists like "Top 100 Indie songs"

I am able to download all the songs of those Spotify Toplists to my iPhone App and listen to them in offline mode. However I am NOT able to delete songs from those playlists.

Question1:

Is there any trick that allows me to delete songs from those playlists made by others (Spotify f.i.) in the same way it´s possible with my own playlists?

Question 2 (other approach/workaround):

Is there a way to save a whole Spotify Toplist like "Top 100 Indie Songs" with 1click under a new name like "Aobas Top Indie" as my own playlist? Then I could easily delete songs from  those playlist again. And only the best would be left at the end.

Both questions:

If it doesn´t work in the iPhone App, does it work on the Mac?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

NB:

Up to this moment, the only solution I have come up with is to manually save every song I like from those Spotify playlists in my own playlists - song by song. Which is very annoying as there are playlists I follow which have 700songs. And besides the effort to save all good songs manually .... if it´s not possible to delete the **bleep**ty songs ... with 700 songs ... a week later I never now which songs I already listend to.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello Aoba,

My devices are: iPhone 4S, Macbook Pro Retina (Late 2013)

Q1: Is there any trick that allows me to delete songs from those playlists made by others (Spotify f.i.) in the same way it´s possible with my own playlists?
A1: No, Only when the owner of the playlist made it a collaborative playlist (So other users can delete & add music to the playlist) otherwise you can only edit your own playlist and not a playlist from other members or official Spotify playlists.

Q2: Is there a way to save a whole Spotify Toplist like "Top 100 Indie Songs" with 1click under a new name like "Aobas Top Indie" as my own playlist? Then I could easily delete songs from  those playlist again. And only the best would be left at the end.
A2: Yes this is something you can do !!

Step 1: Create a new empty playlist ! (I've named it 'Test playlist')
Step 2: Click on the non-edit playlist (I use the playlist 'In Trance we trust' from BlackHoleRecordings, This is a playlist I cannot edit because i'm not the owner of the playlist) 
Step 3: CMD + A (Or Ctrl + A) the non-edit playlist so you select all of the songs in this playlist (I selected all the songs in the playlist In Trance we Trust)
Step 4: Click on the selected songs (All of them) and put them in your new empty created playlist (Mine is Test playlist)

Now you have all the songs on your new playlist wich you can edit ! 
Note: your own playlist will not update when the official playlist puts new songs in the playlist 

Hope this helped you, if you have more questions ask them here.

- Jordy 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello Aoba,

My devices are: iPhone 4S, Macbook Pro Retina (Late 2013)

Q1: Is there any trick that allows me to delete songs from those playlists made by others (Spotify f.i.) in the same way it´s possible with my own playlists?
A1: No, Only when the owner of the playlist made it a collaborative playlist (So other users can delete & add music to the playlist) otherwise you can only edit your own playlist and not a playlist from other members or official Spotify playlists.

Q2: Is there a way to save a whole Spotify Toplist like "Top 100 Indie Songs" with 1click under a new name like "Aobas Top Indie" as my own playlist? Then I could easily delete songs from  those playlist again. And only the best would be left at the end.
A2: Yes this is something you can do !!

Step 1: Create a new empty playlist ! (I've named it 'Test playlist')
Step 2: Click on the non-edit playlist (I use the playlist 'In Trance we trust' from BlackHoleRecordings, This is a playlist I cannot edit because i'm not the owner of the playlist) 
Step 3: CMD + A (Or Ctrl + A) the non-edit playlist so you select all of the songs in this playlist (I selected all the songs in the playlist In Trance we Trust)
Step 4: Click on the selected songs (All of them) and put them in your new empty created playlist (Mine is Test playlist)

Now you have all the songs on your new playlist wich you can edit ! 
Note: your own playlist will not update when the official playlist puts new songs in the playlist 

Hope this helped you, if you have more questions ask them here.

- Jordy 

Hi Jordy,

thanks for your help, excellent advice!

I just tried it and your solution works!

The only negative is:

Seems there is no solution for this problem just within the iPhone app itself.

You always need a computer.

Which is bad news for long travels ... I sometimes do backpacking and for sure I will not bring my Macbook to Laos or Cambodia ,-))

Thanks again!

Aoba

Sorry didn't read that. No sorry this is only a PC function I think. 
You can suggest this in the 'New Ideas' section !

Just do allot of things before you go and the rest you can edit on the plane. 

Have a nice day !

Suggested posts