Help - iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod classic)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert VIP
ifreecarve
Accepted Solution

Listen to spotify on a plane? Lies, I tell you!

In preparation for a cross-country airplane ride, I loaded up spotify on my ipod touch with music from my library and put together a bunch of offline playlists.  "This is going to be a GREAT 6-hour flight," I thought.

Then I turned off my ipod when they said "all electronic devices must be turned off".

Then when we were in the air, I turned it back on and set it to airplane mode.

When I opened spotify, it asked me to log in.  Then it said "Turn Off Airplane Mode or Use Wi-Fi to Access Data".

Then when I did that, it said something about no DNS server available.  

Then, 6 hours of fidgety boredom in silence.

If I want to listen to spotify on a plane, does it mean that I can't shut down the ipod when they tell us to shut off our electronic devices?  How am I supposed to listen to my offline music when I'm -- wait for it -- OFFLINE??

Spotify
David

Re: Listen to spotify on a plane? Lies, I tell you!

Hello,

That sounds rather concerning. Could you tell us a little more? For example, what generation of iPod Touch do you have? What iOS version are you using? How about the version of Spotify?
-----
Spotify
Concert VIP
ifreecarve

Sure!

• iPod touch 4G, 8GB (Model MC540LL, Model No. A1367)
  • iOS 5.1 (9B176)
  • Spotify 0.4.23.11.g86a7d473 (0.6.4.60.ge908bde4)

I see now that in the spotify settings screen that there is an entry for "Offline Mode".  I'm not sure how this would have helped me in the situation I described earlier, since I would have had to log in to access it.

Spotify
David

Part of me thinks that this might be somewhat related to a cache issue - The login details were not stored, or were removed, and it asked you to connect to the website to pull your details. Although I'm not entirely sure why that would happen.

After syncing tracks, did you install any large apps to your device? Do you know how much space was used up on your phone after syncing tracks with Spotify?
-----
Spotify
Concert VIP
ifreecarve

I don't remember installing any large apps, although it's possible that the update to Angry Birds that I installed happened between the music sync and the flight.  Still, I have over 1GB free now, and at least 3GB were free before I synced.

I can't seem to replicate the problem now, unfortunately.  But in general, it seems strange that you'd need to log into spotify to listen to MP3s that you'd uploaded from your own library.  I understand that spotify would want to protect its own content, but not being able to access mine in offline mode (without a login) is a bad move.  

Is there an expiration on the login that I might have hit after X number of days or something?  It was at least a day between when I synced and when I got on the flight.

Spotify
David

We do require you to go online within the Spotify app once ever 30 days, to ensure your account is still active - but never the very next day. I've just tried to play about with my own iPhone, and got a fairly generic message that would need to turn off Airplane mode or Use Wi-Fi to Access data.

Force closing the app may have helped (holding down the power button until shut down screen, then holding down home button), but without being about to replicate this it's hard to be sure if this would work either.
-----
Spotify
Concert VIP
ifreecarve

OK.  Thanks for looking into this.  I think we've more or less resolved this if I can get a few answers from you:

1. can you confirm that my issue (being locked out of offline content while offline) exists?

2. until this issue is resolved, is there a set of pre-airplane steps that I should follow to make sure that I don't get locked out in the future?

Music Fan
dsgorham

I have the same problem on my iPhone 4 with everything upgraded to the latest iOS and Spotify app builds.  

The problem is that a lot of times the iOS Spotify app wants you to re-login and if you dont have data or wifi you can't even listen to your offline music (because you can't login at that moment).

Music Fan
aquatic25

I had the same problem at the gym with my iphone 4.  I had zero cell phone reception and no access to wifi.  Spotify asked me to login, and since I was also "offline" I could not login and had no way to access my offline playlists.  I accessed the app on my iphone 3 days ago, so I know its not the having to login every 30 days.  It seems I almost always have to login to spotify before being able to access its content, which makes the "offline" mode useless.  I'd love to know how to remedy this. 

Concert VIP
ifreecarve

I noticed that over the past few days, there were 2 separate occasions when I switched to the spotify app and an overlay of "logging in ...." came up.  This happens even if spotify has been open and running, which was why I thought it was strange.

Seriously -- the "logging in" message was shown overlaid over the album cover image of what I had been listening to the previous day.

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.