Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Newest Spotify iPhone App Slow and Unresponsive

Newest Spotify iPhone App Slow and Unresponsive

I'm using the latest version of Spotify on my iPhone 5. This version is slower and unresponsive compared to earlier versions. When I click on a playlist or attempt to save a song to a playlist the app frequently takes a few seconds to respond. Sometimes it's 5+ seconds and I think the app has frozen up. Eventually the app advances, but this clunkiness makes for a very poor user experience. 

Earlier versions of the app seemed lightning fast compared to this version.

11 Replies

I am having a similar problem, except my app won't even open. It shows the splash screen, then crashes.

Running iOS 8.0.2 on iPhone 5

note: was also crashing on iOS 8

Description

Spotify app shows splash screen, then crashes.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Updated my phone to iOS 8

2. Restarted my phone

3. Opened Spotify app

4. Spotify showed splash screen, then crashed

5. Quit the Spotify app

6. Checked for app update (no update available)

7. Restarted my phone

8. Opened Spotify app

9. Spotify showed splash screen, then crashed

10. Deleted Spotify App

11. Reinstalled Spotify App

12. Restarted my phone

13. Opened spotify App

14. Spotify showed splash screen, then crashed.

What I expected to happen

For my Spotify app to open

What actually happened

The Spotify app crashed

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 5

Device’s Operating System

iOS 8.0.2

Is your device jailbroken?

No

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

15 synced for offline use (more or less)

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My provider and country

Sprint, U.S.

My username

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Nope.

Exactlly the same problem on my ipod 5. Ever since the ios8 update, spotify doesn't
work at all-despite deleting the app and downloading another one, several times. I'm not sure if
it's apple's fault... [I'm sure they HATE spotify taking all their Itunes $$$$.]
By the way, spotify does work on my ipod 4!-just fine. I think I'm switching to
Android because of this, I not giving up on Spotify Premium-the best ever.

I have the exact problem on iPhone 4 with updated iOS 8.0.2.

Yeah my iPhone 4s also has the same problem with latest updates for iOS 8 and Spotify. Really frustrating.

Same here. Horrible. I want a refund !

Same issue here. The app becomes so unresponsive that's practically unusable. It does it most frequently while downloading tracks for offline listening, but it can happen at any time. I've tried reinstalling the app a couple times to see if it helps, but it doesn't. Additionally, it looks like you can no longer indicate to sync all playlists in a folder simultaneously by choosing to make that folder itself offline. You have to do each playlist individually. That's a story for another day though.

Description
Spotify app stops responding to input or significantly delays input (5+ seconds)

A more detailed description, using numbered steps
1. Installed fresh copy of Spotify from app store

2. Log in to Spotify

3. Set sync quality to "high".

4. Start indicating which playlists I would like to sync for offline use.

5. Application becomes very slow or downright unresponsive, sometimes requiring a task-kill just to get it to respond again.

What I expected to happen
For Spotify to allow me to effortlessly scroll through all of my playlists and mark them for offline listening

What actually happened
The Spotify app becomes so slow that it becomes too difficult to navigate within the app any longer; frequently stops responding entirely.

My iPad/iPhone model
iPhone 5 32 GB

Device’s Operating System
iOS 8.0.2 (12A405)

Is your device jailbroken?
No

Approximately how many playlists do you have?
100+, many of which are filed in playlist folders

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)
n/a

My provider and country
Verizon, United States

My username
maximusmmiv

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?
No

Okay guys. Finally got fed up enough to tweet @SpotifyCares and I got a response that actually worked for me! This is really odd, but here's what you do:

1. Uninstall/delete the spotify app
  2. Change the region on your phone/device: Settings > General > Language & Region > Region - choose any region other than the one you currently have it set on
  3. Restart phone/device
  4. Reinstall the app via the App Store
  5. Prosper!

Like I said, for some weird reason, this worked for me, so hopefully it works for you too! I changed my region back once I verified the app was working, and it's continuing to work wonderfully.

Didn't work for me, made it worse actually.

Though at first Spotify seemed to work normally (some lagging still happening) but then it got totally unresponsive and eventually crashed. I tried many times and so far Im unable to use the app alltogether. I'll report if it starts working, but until then, thanks a bunch Spotify!

So okay, now Spotidy starts up and is a fraction faster than before the reinstall. Still very slow though. Waiting for a solution...

Minor update -- for curiousity sake, I factory reset my phone to defaults and did a brand new installation of Spotify. The slowness occurs the same.

Also happening to me, I have a iPhone 4S and this has been going on since 7.1.2, after some update. My Spotify iOS app now takes around ~30 seconds (!!) to load, and when it eventually does, it takes a long time before I can go through the menus or even scroll through playlists, let alone set it to play. It's clunky and constantly freezes. Closing and reopening the app sometimes helps but not much.

Which means that nowadays to get it loaded and playing, takes at least 2 minutes.

With iOS 8.0 got even worse, although with 8.1 has gotten slightly better.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app many times, change settings around, nothing works.

Help? 😞

Suggested posts