Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 1.7.0 crashing on sync

Solved!

Spotify 1.7.0 crashing on sync

Just added some new local files to my starred playlist yesterday, and app was crashing when I tried to sync (about 12 songs?)

Then today the same was happening, reinstalled the app, synced all the spotify tracks fine, then tried to sync the local files (approx 150), it made it until the last 60 before crashing. Since then it syncs a couple at a time, before crashing up until the last ~45, and now it crashes immediately upon opening the app. 

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

280 Replies

iPhone 4s
iOS 7.1.1 (11D257)
Spotify ver. 1.7.1

One day I opened the app, the logo appeared and it crashes.
Things I've tried:
I did a soft restart - kept crashing.
Closed the app (from multitask screen) and restarted iPhone - kept crashing.
Deleted app (losing all synced music in the cache), downloaded it again and synced to PC and downloaded some (fewer than 3,333 songs) - worked for a couple of hours but then kept crashing.
Deleted app, downloaded again, time I never synced local files (in case there was a corruption) and only downloaded 2 playlists - lasted a couple of hours and then kept crashing.
Screamed "Why won't you **bleep**ing work properly you piece of **bleep**!" At my phone - but it kept crashing

Me and a few other friends have had the same issue and if it isn't resolved by tomorrow we're all cancelling our premium subscriptions because we're paying for nothing.

UPDATE:

I installed iOS 8 and the problem continues. Imiss spotify 😞

Same. iOS 8. Crahses on startup. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No luck. Pay for premium. Please fix, very furstrating. 

@paulholder and other users having this issue--could you please clarify two points for us:

When you opened the app right after the clean reinstallation

1. Did the app crash immediately the first time you opened it? Or were you able to open it and try to perform a function beofre it crashed?

2. Before it crashed did you see the Login screen or did you see the app as though you were already signed in? 

If you could answer those questions immediately after the reinstall it would be a great help. Thank you!

iPhone 5 running iOS 8, with Spotify version 1.7.1 (the latest).

Syncing music over wifi makes it crash, if its not syncing its fine. Tried a reinstallation, hard reset, you name it. Please get this sorted out its really annoying. Makes the app unuseable.

After upgrade to iOS 8 Spotify keeps crashing after a few seconds on my iphone 5s. Have tried absolutely everything with re-installation etc. App didnt work right after upgrade.

So even after the reinstall you don't even make it to the log in screen @sholl ? What do you see right before it crashes?

@joshtan123 wrote:

iPhone 5 running iOS 8, with Spotify version 1.7.1 (the latest).

Syncing music over wifi makes it crash, if its not syncing its fine. Tried a reinstallation, hard reset, you name it. Please get this sorted out its really annoying. Makes the app unuseable.

In my case it crashes no matter what network condition

• Wifi
  • 3G
  • Offline (Flightmode)

For me the app functions for a short period after a clean install i.e remove the app --> re-download form the store -->log in (via Facebook) begin playback. It looks like if I don't sync anything it functions fine( though I do have the odd crash) however as soon as I sync anything the app will start crashing on a regular basis whilst performing basic functions like playback or browsing or even if you just leave it on a static screen. 

I've just updated to ios8 and the latest patch Soptify put out and the same issues occur.

As I use an ipod touch 5 with no mobile internet (only wifi) this is a critical issue and stops me using the functions of Spotfy I pay for & I expect a refund for the month if I cannot use it for much longer!

I can't fix the problem.

Since yesterday upgrade to IOS 8 and updated spotify. in IOS 7 it was working but a lot of crashes (every 5 minutes)

Now when I start up spotify I only see the logo no login scree what so ever.

I did a full factory default and install as new phone then I could start spotify. 

Then I did again a full factory default with I cloud restore and now same problem I only see the spotify logo and then it crashes no login screen what so ever.

Thx for tips that doesn't help! It only takes a lot of time and efford and keeps complaining / paying customers away for a few hours!

I cloud restore is still busy getting back all my pics and whatsapp is also not responding so more problems then I had before.

Please not a lot of people see spotify as an important app!  

Please FIX!!!

Iphone 5s-64GB no jailbreak

Mine spotify doesnt work on my iphone 5s ios 8.0. As soon as i open it, it crashes. I already deleted the app en reinstalled it. I resetted my iphone and intalled ios 8.0 again. Non of these action made the app work. it still crashes.

Spotify has been crashing non stop. I have done numerous clean installs over the past few weeks and nothing works. I even did a fresh factory restore on my iOS and I'm still having this issue. I download my playlists and I'm able to listen to a few songs. I then shut out of Spotify and the next time I try to launch Spotify it starts to lanch and then crashes. This continuously happens and I'm forced to do another clean install. I can then redownload play lists, listen for a period, shut the application, and it crashes the next time I try to launch it. This is rediculous as I've been premium for over 2 years. If I don't get this resolved soon I'll be cancelling the serice :( iphone 5 This happened on 7.1 and now on 8.0 User ID is Toyzruskid1976

Hey @gooossbb does your app behave the same way as @NW103 @Toyzruskid1976 report? Where it functions for a bit after the clean reinstall but the crashes? Then always crashes when you open it? 

Or does it crash immediately right after the reinstall?

Thanks for your reports guys--we're collecting these steps and reporting it back to the team investigating the issue. When I have an update on this issue I'll let you all know!

Yes if i do a clean install it works for a while but then after I sync anything it just crashes all the time when i open it (not sure if the crash is related to the sync or not). 

Do you guys get error logs from you server showing exceptions cause I'm guessing its flooded with them right now. 

Hi Meredith - 

No problem.

1) Yes, it crahsed immediately - I am not able to perform any function. I get the logo then it crashes out. In fact, it tries to re-open automatically a few times after crashing out to the same result.

2) No login screen - as mentioned just the spotify logo then crash out. 

Thanks and hope this helps.

I have uninstalled the app, and won't be using it again until the fix rolls out. For now, I'll just use the Web browser / PC version with standard streaming (no offline mode). I should mention that the Spotify offline mode music has caused crashing in other apps. I have had other apps crash since Spotify has begun crashing as well.

Hi I am also experiencing problems with the latest version of spotify! I just updated to iOS 8 yesterday and since then I'm unable to use spotify on my iPhone. I never get past the loading screen and it crashes within a few seconds. I've tried deleting and re-installing. I've also tried restoring my phone and still no luck :(. Please fix this ASAP I'm lost without my music!!

Hi - I just updated my spotify app to 1.7.1 after upgrading to iOS 8 and now it crashes every time i open it. i deleted it from my phone and downloaded it again which briefly worked until i started synching my music... now crashes again.

I would just like to second this...

Iphone 5s

iOS 8 Final

Spotify v 1.7.1

After reading through other community threads, all of the suggestions have not yet worked for me as well. Even with the current version of 1.7.1, immediate quit upon app start up continues to be an issue after restarting phone, deleting app and restarting phone, reseting phone and opening with icloud backup, deleting app and reseting phone and opening with icloud backup, and finally reset and starting new. No possible combination of attempts has worked thus far.

Yes, clean reinstall same problem. Crash after I sign in.

Its hard to beleive that with all the people taking about this problem that Spotify doesnt have access to an iPhone of there own to see the problem first hand. I suspect that Spotify knows exactally what the problem is but the update containging the fix wont be out for a while. So, all the questions were being asked is fluff, just buying time for the update to come out.

We answer your questions, will you please answer ours?

Is Spotify going to issue a refund for bad service?

If you bought a first class ticket but had to sit in coach would you want a partial refund?

@NW103 thanks for confirming it's crashing after syncing. Are you clicking 'available offline' when it crashes? Or are you clicking the filter 'Available offline only'? 

@jrbevis Thanks for providing us with your details, you'll have a response to your contact form email here in just a few minutes.

Suggested posts