Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't reconnect automatically if connection is lost...

Spotify won't reconnect automatically if connection is lost...

Hi all,

About 2 months ago I gave Spotify Premium a shot because the thought of being able to stream tracks over 3G in the car was very appealing.

I had something really frustrating happen every time though which was if the connection dropped because I had lost signal it would never reconnect itself when I regained a 3G signal which is not ideal when I'm driving.

After putting up with it for a week I cancelled my Premium and went back down to Unlimited.

Is this just the way it is or is there a fix for this? I'd really like to use Premium again as I hate trying to manage music on my iPhone with a passion.

Any help is appriciated,

Many thanks.

4 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I know this is not a direct solution to your issue, but since you have premium you could mark whichever playlist you are listening to, to be available offline. Meaning you could put the Spotify application into offline mode and enjoy listening to those offline tracks without interruption.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have a premimum account and have all my playlists are set to play offline ...  It worked for a day and now will only work if online or 3G connection. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong before I cancel the account ?

@T296 wrote:

I have a premimum account and have all my playlists are set to play offline ...  It worked for a day and now will only work if online or 3G connection. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong before I cancel the account ?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

What device are you using? 

Also, can you describe the behaviour you are seeing, do the tracks appear not to be downloaded anymore? Are you getting any error messages?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have the same issue on the Galaxy S4 (Android) When driving in the car the internet connection will briefly go and come back almost every minute. Spotify's reconnect strategy is way too conservative now. After a connection reset or requested data not getting there within a certain time, Spotify should use a smarter reconnect strategy using different time-out values depending on the network type and number of retries. (Using tiny ping packets first, not the whole request block) On a GPRS network getting a response can take a long time if you get it at all. On HSPDA or LTE the response should be there relativly fast, when it's not you can give up and retry much faster. In the Android API you can get the network type using TeleponyManager.getNetworkType(). It may also be helpful if Spotify would learn what the connection times are with the user's provider for each netwerk type to be able to get the timeout values right. If I were the programmer I would probably experiment with two looping connection threads with different sockets, one with a short time-out and one with a longer. The first one successful will become the active one the other discarded.  But on a very slow network that may not work. But I think the key is probing the connection first with tiny ping packets before sending a full request, opposed to having the risk of sending a full request multiple times which clog the line if the full responses come late, but multiple times.

Suggested posts