Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Syncing Local FIles

Solved!

Syncing Local FIles

I'm wanting to sync some of my local files to my iPhone but I do not want to sync all of them because I do not have that much free space on my iPhone. Does anyone know if there's a way to select what local files you want to sync without syncing all of them? Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

There should be:

1) Connect iPhone to same wifi as computer

2) On the computer, drag and drop the local files you want to be synced into a playlist of your choice

3) Sync that playlist to your phone.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I don't know what fixed it for me. I tried a lot of different stuff and suttently it worked again. So thanks for all the advices 🙂

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

There should be:

1) Connect iPhone to same wifi as computer

2) On the computer, drag and drop the local files you want to be synced into a playlist of your choice

3) Sync that playlist to your phone.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Thanks AnthonyB!

That was so easy and obvious I'm embarrassed I didn't figure it out on my own. Thank you for your help though!

Cody

Hi!

Something weird is going on. I made a playlist out of the local files on my desktop app.  I then set Offline to "ON". My computer is connected to the same wifi network that my iPhone is. The playlist shows up on my iPhone app, but it won't let me play it: it tells me I need to sync with my local computer, then instructs me to do all the steps I've already done. I've tried turning both playlists to "ON" for Offline, then just one, then the other. Nothing changes. When the iPhone playlist is set to "ON", it does say "0 of 12 tracks synced" but makes no progress toward syncing them. What's going wrong? Thanks!

@user-removed wrote:

Hi!

Something weird is going on. I made a playlist out of the local files on my desktop app.  I then set Offline to "ON". My computer is connected to the same wifi network that my iPhone is. The playlist shows up on my iPhone app, but it won't let me play it: it tells me I need to sync with my local computer, then instructs me to do all the steps I've already done. I've tried turning both playlists to "ON" for Offline, then just one, then the other. Nothing changes. When the iPhone playlist is set to "ON", it does say "0 of 12 tracks synced" but makes no progress toward syncing them. What's going wrong? Thanks!

Is your iPhone showing up under "Devices" on the left hand side of your desktop client? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hello!

After upgrading my iphone app to version 0.7.1.23 I can't sync my playlist!!! When I go to the computer app try to click on the playlist to mark the checkbox, the check is not turning on...it quickly change the setting to sync all music to this device when it was set to manually choose playlist! I tried everything on this forum....like re-installing, log out from both app and restarting my phone.

I'm sure is the app, 'cause as soon as it was upgraded the ISSUE!

Is this iphone app version having issues, right????? I tried to install a previous version from the app store that says Spotify for ios 4 and that one works....better...but...i can't use it cause the only option that works is for syncing all my music and not the manually ones....

PLEASE, HELP I CAN'T BREATHE!! 😞

Okay, I have a variant of this problem. Following the instructions for syncing local tracks, I set to local plan on my laptop, put the ipad on the same wifi and viola it started to sync...and then stopped after 14 files (out of 118). Why? The files were all acquired in the same manner (via itunes) so I can't figure out why the sync stopped. Has anyone seen this behavior before? And, if so, how do fix it. It isn't a space issue. I've checked on all the devices.

a PS to my previous post, my iphone synced 31/118; while the ipad sync 14/118 - say what?

Hello, I'm also having the same problem

Just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this issue

I'm running windows with my android and previously I use to be able to plug this to my computer and sync all my local files onto the android. Now doesn’t seem to even pick when my device is connected. I've read the blogs, tried running as admin, logged out on both, even though wifi but it doesn’t pick up my local files

Please if someone could help me overcome this problem would be much appreciated

Mike

I can not synchronize all of my local files to my android phone after updating to the latest version of the app. All Local files are mp3 format so I have no clue way some are synchronized while others aren't? I've tried deleting the cache and redownloading everything without any luck. Any suggestions out there? 

Hello,

I can't sync local files from my Mac to my Adroid Galaxy S3.  I've created a local playlist and tried downloading them in offline mode, but my mobile app says my local tracks are not available?  It shows the tracks but has them faded in gray.  I've also moved the local files from my Mac to my Galaxy S3's external SD card and no dice.  My Galaxy S3 does not show up in my Mac desktop app under "Devices".  My Mac and Droid are on the same wifi network.

Any help is much appreciated!

Having an issue syncing my local files from my Mac to my iPhone. Both are connected to the same network. My iPhone is not showing up under my 'Devices' in the Spotify app on my Mac. I've purchased music on iTunes. It shows up in my Local Files folder in Spotify (on my Mac). I drag those files to a new Playlist and make it available Offline. I go on my phone and it says the files are not synced.

Photos attached.
IMG_0575.PNG

Have you disabled any firewalls and made sure uPnP is enabled on your router?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

So I am having trouble syncing some songs. See I have a whole bunch of songs that are not hooking up to the songs on spotify and I'm not sure how to fix that. If someone could tell me how that would be great. See the thing is, the used to be able to hook up to the song on spotify now they aren't. Some apparently don't have albums yet usually the ones without albums will automatically get one when I put them on spotify and I will be able to view the album, the artist and whatnot. What do I do because it is pretty annoying

I have the same problem every so often when I reinstall spotify or when I restore my iphone. Some of my tracks sync and some don't and I own all of them. One of the most important things to remember is to set your iphone/ipod to "never sleep" when you are syncing ( I believe someone mentioned that also) in settings, general, autolock. Another thing to remember is that if you are using the device as you are syncing to periodically go back to the Spotify app so it isnt backgrounded too long. They used to have a pop up warning that let us know spotify has paused its syncing, but I havent seen that in a while. 

Toggling  the offline/online switch on both the desktop spotify and on my phone sometimes does the trick too. Also make sure you're on the same wii network and that your device is showing up under "devices" in the upper left hand side of the desktop panel. I was toggling and clicking and just noticed that my device was not there even though both laptop and phone are on the same network. I then turned wifi off my phone for a second and then back on, and it suddenly showed up and started syncing the rest of my playlist.  If that still doesn't work, try turning wifi off the computer too and see if that helps. 

I hope this helps, I know it is very frustrating. Good luck everyone!

My problem is kind of the samy

I got a lot of local files, more then I have space on my ipod. So I don't want to synchronize my local files from my PC to my iPod. But everytime I uncheck the local files sound list Spotify stops working with an error and closes. Is there a possibility to uncheck this sound list in an confg file or somewhere else?

Hey @Hergi . From other posts I've seen, just let it synch until it runs out of space then synching will stop and you can select the playlists you actually want on your ipod.

No, if it finished and I uncheck the list Spotify closes immediately and after a new start it's checked again 😞

Marked as solution

I don't know what fixed it for me. I tried a lot of different stuff and suttently it worked again. So thanks for all the advices 🙂

Suggested posts