Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone App: Do not play album in shuffle mode by default.

Solved!

iPhone App: Do not play album in shuffle mode by default.

In the iPhone app, when you select an album to play, it is played back in shuffle mode by default. This means that if you're not paying attention, you'll inadvertently listen to the tracks of an album order. I don't see anyone good reason why the default should not be to play the songs on an album in the order that the artist intended. This is particularly problematic for albums in which the order is crucial to enjoyment (standup comedy, audiobooks, radio dramas, musicals, concept albums, etc.). Please, out of respect for artists and consideration for listeners, make the default to play albums in their intended sequence.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I found if you open a song that is playing (touch the banner on the bottom
of the screen) on the bottom left is a little shuffle icon. If it's lit up
you're shuffling. Touch it off and the shuffling stops. For me it seemed to
shut off shuffling as the general default.

View solution in original post

51 Replies

I don't have an iOS device to test this on, but I can't imagine that shuffle is set on by default.

You can turn off the shuffle by clicking on the i at the top of the screen whilst a track is playing.  The shuffle option will be at the bottom of the screen - green is on, grey/black is off.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Peter, I do have an iOS device and I'm absolutely sure that what I'm saying is accurate.

Strange, I have just asked a member of the community team about this and they aren't sure why this is happening. 

Have you tried following the instructions above to turn shuffle off? Does it revert to shuffle after you do that if you play another album? 

Have you tried a clean reinstallation of the application?

Peter

Peter

-Yes, I know how to turn shuffle off. The point is that I'd like to not have to turn it off. 

-I don't know whether it reverts when listening to two albums consecutively in a single sitting (I've never had occasion to do that). I do know that if I turn off shuffle on an album and listen to it then come back (say a day later) and pick another album, that album will play shuffled.

-Yes, this has persisted across all upgrades and 3 different phones.

Okay, thanks for the information. 

I will pass this onto the community staff for you, as it sounds more like a bug than an idea. 

Peter

Peter

If that's the case so be it, it just seemed to be too persistent and reliable to be unintentional.

I have passed this on for you, hopefully someone who knows more will be able to shed some light soon. 

Peter

Peter

Hi acwatkins - I've just moved your post into the iOS board so we can do a bit of troubleshooting here. 

I'm having trouble reproducing this on my iPhone 4S. What happens when you try the following:

1. Play a track from an album

2. Be sure 'Shuffle' is turned off

3. Shut down the app

4. Open the app and play a track 

Still on shuffle?

Tried this, and mine's working just like acwatkins. Still on shuffle for me, too. Super annoying.

I have the same problem on ipod touch (4th gen) and my iphone5 - all music defaults to and reverts to shuffle mode.

It's incredibly frustrating.

I just tried this with an Ipod touch 32gb 5th generation without any problems. The device stays on the last selection I made, if it was on shuffle it continually shuffles, if turned off it was not turning itself back on.

Dell XPS Duel core laptop, 4 gb ram, windows vista, winamp
Samsung Galaxy s3
Ipod 32gb 5th generation

I've had this problem since i've been using the app, on iphone 4s and now 5, currently up to date IOS and spotify app. Very fustrating.

Hi keef - What version are you currently using? We released an iOS update (0.6.0) just last week. 

Be sure you have that update and give it another go. 

Fresh install of the app did it for me

Sorry to join the conversation so late, but I've had this problem on my iPhone 4 for over a year, throughout all the versions and iOS updates. I've been meaning to look into the cause for a while now, since it's really annoying - especially when you want to listen to an album from beginning to end. I've been a paid user since the beginning and this issue and not being able to manage radio stations make me wonder why I'm still paying. I'll try a clean install and see if that helps.

In this case, the Community seems to have very little impact on the app and developers. This message string petered out a few months ago, yet the problem persists. Very disappointing.

I am also experiencing this problem. I can't even get it to stop shuffling no matter how many times I press shuffle. Help please.

This has been annoying me for months. I'm on an iPhone and I can't turn shuffle off! It defaults to shuffle. I tap on it and it just flashes as if to acknowledge my selection, but stays on shuffle. I've tried the suggestions on here. Really hard to listen to Vivaldi 4 seasons on shuffle. Can you fix this please?

This is my problem SUDDENLY this morn too. Super annoying. I pay for premium. Not for long if this isn't fixed

Suggested posts