Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

offline sync not working

Solved!

offline sync not working

Having trouble syncing a playlist that is on iPhone and Mac

* "available offline" set to "on" on iphone and Mac

* songs in playlist that are not available via spotify are available mac, show up in playlist on mac,

* both devices on the same wireless network

songs are not showing up available on iphone. Am I doing something wrong? am I missing a step? Any help apprciated.

-Avi

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Marked as solution

Really? It wasn't Dumbledore who magically put it there? Smiley Sad

People seem to be having the same problem as me, so if they haven't tried this yet, they should. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut then? 

View solution in original post

30 Replies

I'm having the same exact issue.
Spotify, please fix this. I'm on a plane in 6 hours and won't have sufficient internet connetion for the next few days 😕

I am afraid that I don't completely understand your writing, no offense. But I think I know a solution to the problem. 

Doesn't your syncing work? Doesn't the songs appear offline when you make them go offline? Try connecting your phone to the PC or Mac, and sync the songs to your phone via the PC. Click on the Devices tab in Spotify and sync.

Or do you mean that the Local Files show unavailable on your phone? You have to add the Local Files to your phone, and not only to your PC or Mac.

Hope I answered your questions, if not, reply back and explain the problem once again 🙂

-Forge

not sure I can be more specific but will try:

there are songs in my playlist on iphone that are "greyed out". tapping them brings up the "Sync Required" message.

I have the mp3 of all the greyed out songs on my mac, and my mac is on the SAME wifi network as the phone. "available offline" switch is set to on on the playlist on the iphone, as well as the playlist on the mac. However, sync doesn't place the songs on the iphone for offline access.

hope that sheds more light on issues... 

Marked as solution

have same issue.

all

Last night, after numerous repeated attempts, wifi synching between iPhone and Mac "mysteriously" started to work. I have NO IDEA what changed, though I did restart my mac.

Sync is working but it is taking a long time, even over hi-speed snigle-user wifi...

my 3364 songs came unsynced on my ipod touch. i now have two computers and won't sync on either computer!!i have asked for help from spotify with no response. can anyone help???? i want my songs to play offline.  may have to leave. i have had so many problems with this site but don't want to lose all my musid.Smiley Mad

Pharmdeb

Your post is a bit light on details.

* was everything synched and then became unsyched?

*Are playlist set to "available offline" on BOTH the iPod and the computer?

* are both devices on the same network?

I was having the same exact problem and I think it comes down to the instructions on the site not being specific enough.  So, after you've put both youyr computer and your phone on the same network, make sure that the app is up and running on your phone and computer.  After that, click on devices and find your device.  Click on your device, and it should prompt you to sync. 

When I initially did it, I thought that all I had to do was turn my phone and computer onto the same network and then make each playlist available offline on my phone since the playlists were already in there.  I switched them all to be available, but within each playlist, each song was grayed-out., even though I had set my phone to Offline Mode.  I'm now synching all of the songs, and I can see it happening, so I'm pretty sure this will work.  You just have to do the extra step of selecting your device on your desktop and then the sync will happen if you're on the same network (seems like it's going to take a while, unfortunately.... ).

Let me know if that works for you!

I'm experiencing the same problem.  I've tried all these suggestions.  Only some of the songs are synching within a playlist despite the fact that I ripped it myself from the physical cd (which I own.)  I'm frustrated to the point of canceling my subscription.  I shouldn't have to pay to fight through this.  The instructions suck too.  Mark this playlist for "Offline Synch" on your iPhone?  I'm problaby missing it, but have yet to find the term "Offline Synch".  I am going on the assumption that is the same as "Available Offline."  

builttoplay;

yes, "offline sync" and "available offline" are the same, though admittedly not having consistent wording, or ideally an easier solution is problematic.

I too have a one or two songs in one last play list that will NOT sync, try as I might to get it to do so. I have no idea what the issue is, and it is troubling that no one from spotify seems to monitor these forums enough or find the issue meritorious enough to weigh in on.

Spotify is an great service, and does alot of things well that itunes/apple fails to do, and while glitches like this are annoying, I'd keep them in perspective when evaluating the service as a whole in determining whether to bail.

update: I figured it out finally! there are certain songs encoded in pink (red?) that have DRM that spotify CAN'T play for some reason. Only when I try to play it does spotify tell me the issue. Ideally, spotify would have a "sync notification" area to let you know of these issues.

I've been trying to get this one song to sync for over an hour now, and I just wouldn work over wifi. What worked for me was to connect my android device to my computer via usb, open the "Music" folder on the phone and paste the song straight into there. Then I launched spotify on both my phone and my computer and voila, the track magically appeared in my local files. Seems to work in offline mode as well.

I wouldn't say "magically". You just copied it over to your phone to make it a local file. It plays from your phone's drive, not spotify. 

If your update freezes, connect your phone, enter the "Device" tap in the sidebar in Spotify on your computer and sync them from there.

Marked as solution

Really? It wasn't Dumbledore who magically put it there? Smiley Sad

People seem to be having the same problem as me, so if they haven't tried this yet, they should. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut then? 

Sorry, did you take it wrong? I just explained what you did. It works too. Just put them onto your phone and use local files to play the music. If you have others songs synced, you won't have to switch app from Music to Spotify all the time. So your solution is good, but it's really just a  shortcut to actually solving the issue, for those who doesn't want are care enough to solve actually solve it.

Haha no, sorry, I was just kidding. I dunno if it's the best solution, but it was the only thing that worked for me, and as long as it works, I'm happy. But I'm not gonna hijack the thread, so I'll just magically disappear now. Smiley Wink

I'm having the same exact issue.
Spotify, please fix this and i have the trail and i can't hear the music

I am having the same problem with syncing. I have synced my ipod to the desktop on my laptop, manually synced the playlists only to see these playlists greyed out on the ipod. In then go onlne with the ipod and see these playlists syncing but these playlists continue to be greyed out on the ipod.

I have come to the conclusion that that my ipod and spotify don't play nicely! The customer service is unresponsive and give bad directions. Cancelling and going elsewhere

My offline synching won't work and I've tried everything. Not right if I can't listen to my music and I can't listen to it.

Hi People,

I was having trouble syncing my offline playlists too and then after hours of research, stumbled across this by coincidence! In my case I had too many tracks already made available offline.. I never knew until today, that apparently there's a restriction to how many songs can be synced for offline use..! Maybe helpful to one or the other of you!

http://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/How-many-tracks-can-I-sync-to-offline-playli...

Suggested posts