Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

*some* songs won't sync to offline, others will

Solved!

*some* songs won't sync to offline, others will

I have quite a few playlists and a lot of offline songs that I can play offline, but others will not sync. I'm not sure what to do. I have 14GB free space. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Please note that there is a setting called "sync over cellular" and if that's not turned on your music won't sync over 3G/4g (this drove me mad for a week until I figured it out)

View solution in original post

22 Replies

@craigsnedeker wrote:

I have quite a few playlists and a lot of offline songs that I can play offline, but others will not sync. I'm not sure what to do. I have 14GB free space. 

i'm having this problem too. sometimes songs that won't sync are on the same album as songs that do sync! so it's not anything like not enough space or too many songs that are already synced. i  didn't have this problem until the "upgrade" to Your Music. 

@craigsnedeker wrote:

@I am having this exact same problem. I have many playlist and a few of my playlist have local files in them. Ever since the new update, I have a playlist in which 3 specific songs WILL NOT SYNC AT ALL to my iPhone and then another playlist where a whole album won't show as offline. Been in contact with @SpotifyCares for at least 2-3 weeks now. 

They will not sync whatsoever? What is indicating that they won't sync? Are the individual tracks grayed out on your devices? Or do they get uploaded and synced but won't play?

Avid Spotify Premium user, treehugger, audiophile.
Spotify Premium since July 2011.
Sold 10 (and counting) Spotify Premium accounts since and refused commission.

They are grayed out on my devices unless I"m connectec to Wifi. 

@craigsnedeker Is your desktop Spotify app needing to be opened as well when connected to Wi-Fi for them to work or just any Wi-Fi network will enable them to work?

Have you tried uploading them in a separate playlist, and then making that entire playlist available offline? That is actually my personal solution for this issue when I came across it. I titled it "offline playlist" and added all of my tracks that weren't working otherwise (or grayed out just as in your case) and made it available for offline.

@iByteApple I have run into the same problem a few times throughout my use of Spotify and it can be a number of issues. Are the three songs that will not sync with your device available on Spotify itself? Or are they tracks that are from your personal collection, more specifically local files? If they are available from Spotify, on Spotify servers and available in your region, I would recommend you look for those three tracks in your collection, right click and click on Unlink Track. Then resync those three songs from Spotify. What we are doing is not syncing songs files from your harddisk but instead pulling those tracks straight from Spotify. That might resolve that issue.

The issue with the entire album, it might be due to it not being available in your region. I have had issues where an album would show up, and then disappear for a few weeks to only return for me. Albeit it being a very rare occurrence when that happens, that might explain your situation. It's happened with records of artists that are based in Europe, for example, as I am in NA.

I was able to get my phone sync'd today - the new version is definitely not as good at sync'ing as the older one, but hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. In the meantime, what worked for me was to initiate the sync from the desktop client on a computer on the same wi-fi network as my phone. The phone has to be on, so I turned off Auto-Lock while it synched. You can see the progress on the desktop client, which doesn't usually show up for me anymore on the phone app. Hope this helps others with the same issue. (I did delete the app and reinstall it, but I don't think that was necessary.) 

My bad. What I thought were tracks that weren't syncing (because there was no download icon next to them, not even grayed out) were actually local files that didn't need to be downloaded. There used to be an icon indicating that they were local files, but that seems to have disappeared with the update. Maybe they should bring that back to ward off the freakouts like I had yesterday. I turned off wifi and 3G on my phone and those tracks played fine. 

@pizzasogood wrote:

@iByteApple I have run into the same problem a few times throughout my use of Spotify and it can be a number of issues. Are the three songs that will not sync with your device available on Spotify itself? Or are they tracks that are from your personal collection, more specifically local files? If they are available from Spotify, on Spotify servers and available in your region, I would recommend you look for those three tracks in your collection, right click and click on Unlink Track. Then resync those three songs from Spotify. What we are doing is not syncing songs files from your harddisk but instead pulling those tracks straight from Spotify. That might resolve that issue.

The issue with the entire album, it might be due to it not being available in your region. I have had issues where an album would show up, and then disappear for a few weeks to only return for me. Albeit it being a very rare occurrence when that happens, that might explain your situation. It's happened with records of artists that are based in Europe, for example, as I am in NA.

1) The 3-5 songs are not on Spotify. I ripped them from the CD and for a while, they played fine. The latest update messed this up however. They play on my computer just fine, but refuse to play on my iPhone 5s. 

2) The funny thing is that the whole album I was talking about is by Lindsey Stirling and is definitely on Spotify. However, I also bought the album on iTunes before it hit Spotify and therefore it is also technically a local file. Again, prior to the latest update, it played flawlessly. Just hasn't worked since, and looking on the community I see that this issue isn't central to just my device. 

Are you still having trouble with tracks that aren't playing on your iPhone 5S?

So do they have a solution for this?

Maybe others didn't realize this - there is a limit of 3,333 sync'd songs. Maybe that is your issue?

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Listen-offline

Same here.

Spotify said with the green icon "Ok, this playlist is sync". But not really.

A playlist with 60 songs is sync around 12 15 songs ...

I've been having a similar problem on my Nokia (Not an Apple, obviously, but the following is universal). A fix that I found for this can be done using Spotify on your desktop.

I noticed that the only songs that weren't syncing to my phone (and trust me there were loads) were the ones that showed up with the chain symbol on the desktop. It basically means that the specific track isn't available in your country but is linked to one that is.

The fix is right-clicking the track and going to the replacement track. Unfortunately, it seems that the whole process needs doing manually for each track so flicking between the "pages" on Spotify will become a real pain if you have as many tracks I had to sort.

This site seemed to be the only place that made my problem make sense:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/descriptions-and-meanings-of-spotify-icons.html

Tracks with the chain symbol are linked to an identical track that is available in your area. Clicking on the chain will take you to the replacement track. Once replaced, the track should sync to your phone as normal.

I've found a solution!! After saving the song to your library, you will see the grey arrow next to it. Play the song and you have to listen the whole song from start to finish. Then you should have the green arrow next to it and it'll be ready for offline use. It's as though listening is downloading. You're welcome
Marked as solution

Please note that there is a setting called "sync over cellular" and if that's not turned on your music won't sync over 3G/4g (this drove me mad for a week until I figured it out)

i tried it alot of times, even if the song is finished the arrow download icon is still greyed -__- it's kinda annoying and frustrating

OMG!!! THAT SYNC OVER CELLULAR WORKS!, GUYS YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE SONG TO YOUR PLAYLIST FIRST ON YOUR DESKTOP THEN TURN ON THAT SYNC OVER CELLULAR AND IT WILL ALL AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD ONE BY ONE TO YOUR PLAYLIST :))

thank youu!!

Suggested posts