Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify just deleted ~20GB of offline playlist data on my mobile - THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Spotify just deleted ~20GB of offline playlist data on my mobile - THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Yesterday I updated Spotify on my Android 2.3.4 Motorola Defy+. I had downloaded around 20GB of music to my mobile. This was annoying as hell because Spotify would stop synching sometimes and I had to restart it many times. So today I listened to my offline playlists one my way to work. Everything was fine. But when I connected to the WiFi and disabled Spotify's Offline Mode to synch recently added music I had to find out Spotify had just deleted around 20GB of music from my mobile! (The app stated I had to go online in 20 days to prevent losing my music.)

Do you know how long downloading 20GB of data takes, when the WiFi is used by many people?

I thought several times about quitting my Spotify Premium subscription, but I think this **bleep** just ruined the whole experience for me. If there's no option to listen to your music offline on your mobile without the risk of complete data loss or buggy synching, I don't have any use for Spotify. Because if I have to get my music anyway somewhere else so I can use it on my phone, I can simply stick to buying/downloading it. That's definitely more expensive and I would need to change my listening habits, but I won't pay for a service, that actually NEVER cared for my messages about buggy software and can't seem to provide more stable software.

16 Replies

@user-removed wrote:

Yesterday I updated Spotify on my Android 2.3.4 Motorola Defy+. I had downloaded around 20GB of music to my mobile. This was annoying as hell because Spotify would stop synching sometimes and I had to restart it many times. So today I listened to my offline playlists one my way to work. Everything was fine. But when I connected to the WiFi and disabled Spotify's Offline Mode to synch recently added music I had to find out Spotify had just deleted around 20GB of music from my mobile! (The app stated I had to go online in 20 days to prevent losing my music.)

Do you know how long downloading 20GB of data takes, when the WiFi is used by many people?

I thought several times about quitting my Spotify Premium subscription, but I think this **bleep** just ruined the whole experience for me. If there's no option to listen to your music offline on your mobile without the risk of complete data loss or buggy synching, I don't have any use for Spotify. Because if I have to get my music anyway somewhere else so I can use it on my phone, I can simply stick to buying/downloading it. That's definitely more expensive and I would need to change my listening habits, but I won't pay for a service, that actually NEVER cared for my messages about buggy software and can't seem to provide more stable software.

Probably about 2-3 days 😉

Are you sure it has actually been deleted, or has Spotify just forgotten about it?

Not only in Spotify the data is lost, but also when I check the amount of data on my SD. It's nearly empty now. I just saw this is a widely known bug so I'll post it also in this thread: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/New-Music-Won-t-Stay-Downloaded/td-p/115032

It's not a bug. It's Spotify's idea.

They write an app that allows hackers in. They waste their time blocking apps to allow Chromecast support, while refusing to add it themselves. They force an update that makes the app unusable for thousands of subscribers. They cause everyone to download offline tracks again, despite not deleting the old ones. They vacate the forums entirely, hoping we'll all just forget about this and move on. 

HOW DO YOU ANSWER FOR THESE TRANSGRESSIONS, SPOTIFY? Are you idiots or actually evil? That's a legitimate question. It could be both, but it can't be neither.

Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

Actually it was not the app persey but the encryption that Android used on the old devices, hence why they are not compatible no more. It is just much google androids fault if not more so. I wonder if Android did not know this and was just forgetting informing anyone of this in the first place. Would be rather like google have weak encryption in older devices, let it break a competitors app while quitely leaking the encryption key to hackers to use. Would not be the first time a competing developer destroyed another service from weak encryption. But what the heck do I know, nothing apparently.

@Andrews32 wrote:

They write an app that allows hackers in. They waste their time blocking apps to allow Chromecast support, while refusing to add it themselves. They force an update that makes the app unusable for thousands of subscribers. They cause everyone to download offline tracks again, despite not deleting the old ones. They vacate the forums entirely, hoping we'll all just forget about this and move on. 

HOW DO YOU ANSWER FOR THESE TRANSGRESSIONS, SPOTIFY? Are you idiots or actually evil? That's a legitimate question. It could be both, but it can't be neither.

I've just downloaded Blockify and unsubscribed from Spotify Premium. The best music app I have found is Free Music Downloader 1.53.  It searches lots of sites. I can find music on it that I can't find on Spotify. Bardo Pond were one of my favourite groups, and I found them, thanks to Spotify. But Spotify deleted lots of their music from their database. So annoying, but on Free Music Downloader, I could find songs that I hadn't heard before. I downloaded Blockify. The app mutes adverts for Spotify Free version. I had an idea to look for an app today. Because I was a Premium member for more than a year, and the adverts make me so angry. I live in UK and the was an advert talking about a red tractor, it annoyed - really. Blockify didn't work on the new version of Spot. So I downloaded version 0.6.0.2. Seriously - this is the best version of Spotify I have seen, it's so much easir. I downloaded the installer from File Horse. Do it, seriously! And to stop Spotify from updating automatically, go to C:, Users, (username), App Data, roaming, and add a new file to Spotify's folder. call it anything, and right click, and make the file a read-only file.

From file horse 0 6 2 240

But I do use Windows 7.

@luciantenebrae wrote:

Actually it was not the app persey but the encryption that Android used on the old devices, hence why they are not compatible no more. It is just much google androids fault if not more so. I wonder if Android did not know this and was just forgetting informing anyone of this in the first place. Would be rather like google have weak encryption in older devices, let it break a competitors app while quitely leaking the encryption key to hackers to use. Would not be the first time a competing developer destroyed another service from weak encryption..

Wait. You're saying it would be like Google to leak encryption so that competitor apps would be compromised? First, when has that ever happened? Second, you think Google would risk the news of millions of Android users being hacked to goose their music subscription numbers? Finally, Google has nothing to do with the encryption on ARM-based processors, they don't manufacture them or design them. This was not a result of, say, a device using a lower API with increased risks due to an outdated Android version. This was a case of Spotify building an app that could be hacked, refusing to develop for older hardware, and a convenient confluence resulting in the lockout of thousands of subscribers and massive inconvenience for millions more. Spotify doesn't need cheerleaders, they need people to call them out if they're ever going to treat customers right.

@luciantenebrae wrote:

But what the heck do I know, nothing apparently.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

Yeah well Spotify deletes your files anyway if you don't log in for 30 days. But it's happened to me on Windows 7, I didn't log in for about seven days maybe, and all my saved tracks were gone. And it happened once when I was using it the day before it deleted everything again. But with Broadband it doesn't take long. But anyway, crap.

This is a good article http://www.socialmediaphilanthropy.com/2011/10/21/3-reasons-why-i-cancelled-my-spotify-premium-after...

I had music in  several of my playlists and now most have "gone" and some are there.   I am fed up with with all the bugs purported by Spotify so now I cancelled my Prime Membership after many years. I won't miss the slow load times (party of which is due to Spotify downloading what I am "up too") their slow software with constant nagging updates and the very poor sound quality which they hope most normal "punters" won't notice.

Hey, use the spotydl it's for free and you don't have this problem anymore, I'm seriously considering to change to this alternative, I'm constantly losing my offline files and it's very very very annoying!

I tried to get help from spotify support, they said to me to clean the app cache, and reinstall the application, the part of clean cache "the application do this for me" 😕

4 years later and it's still not fixed.  It's November 2016 and I see this has been a major problem with users since 2012, and is still happning.  On it's own Spotify changes my storage setting from SD card to Device Storage, and Turns Off the download button on my downloaded playlist, deleting all of my downloaded songs.  In the last couple weeks this has happened 3 times.  It's very aggravating when I am offline without internet access, and all of my music is deleted.   Spotify must be wasting thousands of GB of bandwidth by users repeatedly downloading songs that SPOTIFY keeps deleting.    SPOTIFY... FIX THIS PROBLEM!!

You have never made my day? This is so bad for business

and it is not what I had in mind.

Why are you so BAD? 

If I login, is it possible for a better experience? A better life?

Hope to live for a fantastic better music life? --No?

Mine did this from an update on my pc... and I do not leave it offline for many than 3 days at a time... its so annoying. Its espcially annoying on my mobile phone, when I have to resynce not only spotify's collection, but all my personal music spotify premium had synceed for me... its even worse. 

Suggested posts