Music Chat

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
akira

Complete absence of ECM recordings unacceptable

I am a paying subscriber and am on the whole very pleased with the offering in most genres (clasical, country, folk, pop) and the quality is pretty good too. But as the header saysI am very unhappy with thecomplete absence of the ECM label. That just will not do. Please do something about this!

Peter
Kudos: 12,783

Re: Complete absence of ECM recordings unacceptable

I would suggest you get in touch with ECM and ask them why their content is not on Spotify!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
John_Farrow

That really is an enormous hole! One of the most interesting record companies there is.

Music Lover
Mixymaster

[ Edited ]

I would agree ...

Spotify is great and ECM is the best modern Jazz label. It is really a pity the two cannot marry together.  

I am a subscriber of Spotify and it was a major disappointment the lack of ECM content...

But, I guess there is nothing that Spotify can do if ECM does not see value in Spotify. They probably think their bussiness is a more mature audience, allergic to compressed music

I hope they will change their minds

Concert Regular
John_Farrow

There are a lot of "mature" listeners like myself who use Spotify to dabble their toes in new music.

If I like something I'll then buy the CD.

I think ECM are missing out on a chance to expand the audience for all their wonderful music. But then again, perhaps this serves as a useful reminder that there is a LOT of fine music that isn't on Spotify. It's a dangerous mindset t believe that everything is to be found there.

John Farrow

Music Lover
Mixymaster

I agree 100% with you John

I think I read in the past an interview to ECM's founder, in which he mentioned that the priority of ECM is uncompressed audio.

If this is a view shared by other labels, I wonder if Spotify would consider FLAC streaming over WIFI to accomodate this user profile. I would love that too!

Concert Regular
John_Farrow

Good point.

No harm at all in putting a few demands on them to up their quality.

But then again, Spotify for me is often more a starting off point than a destination. A good place to sample a few things that may go on to become big favourites leading to gigs, Cd purchases etc, etc.

The Related Artists button is extremely useful.

Gig Goer
svalebror

[ Edited ]

I agree. It annoys me! It is rumored that many smaller record companies find the deals they are offered by Spotify not so attractive. I would gladly pay a few extra dollars monthly to get some kind of Spotify Non-Plus-Ultra Premium which would have lots niche content from smaller labels, gets major record releases the day they are released and maybe even access to higher quality streams on select titles. 

Music Fan
jimmiehu

Absolutely agree!! One of the most amazing labels out there - tons of my playlists and songs became unavailable when the got removed from Spotify. And no, I do not want to reach out to ECM directly. That's what I pay spotify for.

Please get them back on board.

And please provide some transparency and keep us posted on how this goes.

Music Fan
RomeoFox

Yes, I'm also quite dissapointed to not have access to ECM catalog as fan of modern jazz!!!! i like spotify but i should admit that in jazz its often that I don't find new release. Example, where is the last album of Shai Maestro trio??? (label Laborie Jazz). 

Deezer is recently launch a music classic option, and Spotify should think to enlarge or keep people who enjoy jazz, classic...rather than focusing mainly on rock, pop, rap etc...

I have sent my concern to ECM contact e-mail adress; let see if they reply. ECM is available on some plateform as french one Quobuz!

Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.