Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist question (organize, save file play order, rearrange)

Playlist question (organize, save file play order, rearrange)

I was wondering, if you guys could answer a few questions for me as I am building a playlist and keep messing it up.

1. How do I save the file order of my playlist? Meaning, once they are added in, they won't become disorganized if I push any of the column buttons.  

2. Is there an easier way to filter out duplicates from a playlist?

3. What does the paperclip mean in a playlist?

4. If I delete a public playlist, is there a way to get it back?

15 Replies

Does anyone know how to organize songs by play order? 

For Example

http://sharemyplaylists.com/hipster-international-1

lists the play order but when viewed it won't stay.

Hey, welcome to the Community - I'll try to answer your questions as well as I can.

1. Dragging and dropping tracks is the way to set the order of a playlist. If you do accidentally sort it by artist, album, etc. then just a few more clicks on that column will put it back to how it was before.

2. There isn't an easy way to do this yet. For now, you'll just need to pick them out I'm afraid.

3. The 'linked' icon pops up when the track has been replaced by another in the catalogue. Say for instance we don't have a particular track available in your region, but we do have another version of it.

4. If you've still got a link to the playlist then you should be able to find it again, even when it's been deleted. Otherwise, let us know and we'll help you out.

5. I'm not entirely sure how the integration with ShareMyPlaylists works - the order on the site isn't the default order for how it comes up in Spotify (that is an awesome playlist though, I'm a subscriber).

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Ah ok,

Thanks! How dpes spotify save the playlist order?

Converted from Pandora, and I am likling the easability. What would be very cool is if you could take a playlist then move and expand it so that it will pick up the mood of your playlist and add more.

All your playlist data is stored on our servers, so the order should be the same wherever you access it.

And as for your mood idea, I'm reminded of the Moodagent app. You can use this to create new playlists based on the same 'mood' as a track of your choice. Or try out the Radio feature. There's plenty of ways to discover new music in Spotify.

Let me know if you'd like some more ideas to try out.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Unfortunately, my playlists play out of order on my iPhone app. I start in the middle and they seem to jump to the top or a random location.

@Rpalagy wrote:
Unfortunately, my playlists play out of order on my iPhone app. I start in the middle and they seem to jump to the top or a random location.

Do you have shuffle turned on?

I see the double arrow and the word "Shuffle" at the top of the list.  When I attempt to click it - to toggle it ...it immediately starts playing something else.  How do I know if it's active or not?  It's colored a dark grey at all times.  I DON'T want it on ever.

Hi Rpalagy - Once you click on the word 'Shuffle' at the top of your playlists a track sould start playling and appear on your screen. 

From there, please the 'i' button in the top left. From there you will see if the 'Shuffle' is on (green) or off (gray). If it's green simply hit it again to turn it off. Then hit the 'i' button to return to your track. 

photo.PNG

Thanks Meredith!  That was it!!!!

I have a question, I accidentally clicked on that bar that says track above my starred playlist and now its all messed up. Instead of playing the most recently starred songs which is how i like it it plays them in alphabetical order. I've googled and googled and googled searching for a solution, each answer i find is an answer to a totally different question. So how can i fix my playlist so that it plays the most recently starred songs first?

If you click on "Added" bar you can sort them by the time you've added them to the playlist.

My files were set to be arranged by song title (alphabetical) and since I updated to the newest spotify release, everytime I close spotify and re-open, they go back to arranged by artist...how can I fix this???

@vixie wrote:

My files were set to be arranged by song title (alphabetical) and since I updated to the newest spotify release, everytime I close spotify and re-open, they go back to arranged by artist...how can I fix this???

There is no way to fix it on your side, it is a bug in the client outlined in this topic

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

THANK YOU!!  #1 is what I think most of us needed to know.  So glad that it remember how I sorted my playlist manually.  We all like the option to make our own order.  Would be nice if there was a more evident way to return it to this order.  Maybe something in the context menu for the playlist would be simple to add (see image).

Thanks again.  Very happy to have my own custom order back.

spotify.jpg

Usually you are adding songs by artist so it is easy to get quite a few songs in a row by the same artist.  The way I prevent this is to click the song column so it puts them in alphabetical order either forwards or backwards.  You wont think about the songs being in alphabetical order it will randomize the artists.

Suggested posts