Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add recently added songs to the top of existing playlists

Solved!

Add recently added songs to the top of existing playlists

This is my one pet hate when it comes to spotify playlists.

I wish the new songs that I add to existing playlist, would be added to the top of the list so they're played at the beginning, rather than the end and flicking through older songs.

If this isnt possible, then just allow users to re-arrange or organise playlist items in different catagories such as, "recently added", "oldest", "artist" and/or "length" ect.

This would make my spotify experiance even better than it already is.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

To sort songs in a playlist into a specific order on an IOS device, as far as I know, is to follow these steps.

1) Go onto your playlist and click on the button on the top right hand corner.

2) A selection of items should appear - click 'edit'.

3) All the songs in that playist should appearwith a red icon to remove it and another button which you can use to drag the songs into a specific order.

I hope this helps 🙂

View solution in original post

44 Replies

Hey 🙂 

What device are you using? 

Its unfortunately currently missing from the mobile applications but you can sort playlists in the desktop client! 🙂 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm on about iOS mobile devices but I use both iOS and desktop

Hi,

I want this feature too, because I'm using spotify mostly with my Sonos Systems and when I'm start playing a playlist, it starts always with the same songs.

Is it possible to implement an option into the spotify-application to set the playlist append-mode? In my case, I would like to add the new song in front of all existing entries.

Thank you

Sorry for my english, I'm not being a native speaker.

- Falk

Idealy, we just need sorting to be reflected accross all platforms once you do it in the desktop client! 

As a work around for now (although not ideal), if you sort into the correct order in the desktop client, then select all of those tracks and drag them into a new playlist, the new playlist will save as the specified order. 

Peter

Peter

In iOS - at least, on the iPad - you can go to somewhere above the playlist, where it says Filter (you have to scroll up) - to the right is a button marked Sort - you can sort them into the order you add them (default setting), album order, artist in alphabetical order or tracks in alphabetical order, both ascending and descending - using tracks in added order, it will reverse them - and play them in that order, if you deselect shuffle mode - and not just on the playlists you compile - you can do that with any playlist - your own, one you follow or even one you stumble upon by accident - I follow some with this week's chart on - default setting is the number one at the top - if I select Descending, it will start at 20 or 40 and work up to number one - like how you hear it on the radio, only without the DJ!

The option to sort tracks (beyond the limited filter capabilities)  is a must on the mobile platform. But until that happens we should atleast have the ability to see tracks sorted by most recently added. At the minimum it could be an option in perferences that you could turn on or off.

Hate scrolling through hundreds of tracks to find a group of songs I recently added to a playlist.

Annoyingly this is one of those features (playlist sorting) that is available on Android but not iPhone (it is on iPad).

Peter

It isn't very sensible that you have new songs added to the bottom of the playlist.  Aren't new songs the ones you listen to first?  I also feel that you need to have a better way to move individual songs around on a playlist, dragging too much time.  

I remember with the old Spotify it was set up so recently added songs would show at the top of the starred playlist. But since the updates it changed. I hope they change it back!
Marked as solution

Hello,

To sort songs in a playlist into a specific order on an IOS device, as far as I know, is to follow these steps.

1) Go onto your playlist and click on the button on the top right hand corner.

2) A selection of items should appear - click 'edit'.

3) All the songs in that playist should appearwith a red icon to remove it and another button which you can use to drag the songs into a specific order.

I hope this helps 🙂

If you are on an IOS device (I'm on my iPhone) you can click on your playlist and scroll all the way up to where you see a bar that says "Filter". If you look to the far right there will be a icon with 3 little bars. You can click on that and change how the songs are sorted and if you click Recently Added then it will make all the newest songs added to your playlist at the top. Hope this helped!

thank you!! <333

Most of my playlists are quite long, and this process is VERY time consuming. I share my spotify playlists with wedding clients, and have many playlists for different times in the evening. I prefer for the most recently added to be at the top, so i dont come accross as a dj that is playing 'old' music. And the good new exciting fresh stuff gets missed at the bottom of a huge playlist!

I am so happy I found this forum. I have been looking for this for months. Thank you!

Yes, there is a way to sort it by either " Recently added . Artist . Title and Custom on your iphone .

1. Click on your playlist

2. Scroll " UP "   as if you were at the bottom of the screen going towards ( the time and percent of your iphone.

3. You will see a search box and  on the right you will see three lines ( dashes )

4. click on it and then you will be able to sort in four different chices.

5. Tell a Freind .

So, for the app

1. go to your playlist

2. go to the very top

3. click the button in the top right. 

4. then press recently added

5. they should be for recently added

I have a Samsung tablet that I want to play the playlist from top to button. Not where it goes random in my list. How do I fix this?

hello  how can imake the recently added song on my spotify on my mobile to appear on top  ?

And when I use my Android and Android Auto, I allways have to start to liten to my oldest song in my playlist....

Is the sort by added feature comming to the most commonly used OS (Android) as well??

Suggested posts