Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Subscription Comparison Chart

Solved!

Subscription Comparison Chart

Please Note: This chart was created by me for clarification purposes here on the Spotify Community. This chart is not endorsed by, or form any part of, official subscription information from Spotify. All details are correct at time of publishing.

As there have been a lot of queries about the features of each of the subscription tiers after the recent changes, I hope the table below offers some clarification. 

Public Subscription Level Table Updated.png

(Click to enlarge)

Fancy trying Spotify Premium free for 30 days? Check out: https://www.spotify.com/freetrial/

2014-11-06: Spotify Unlimited is being phased out, as a result you may not be able to (re)subscribe to Spotify Unlimited.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask below! 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

109 Replies

That is correct, Spotify Unlimited gives you no benefits on mobile or tablet devices over Spotify free.

Peter

It doesn't give you any advantages over free on a mobile phone, yes.

you have to goto your account, then look at the service (for instance if you have free) you will see unlimited and premium which are hyper links (clickable) thats how I found out about unlimited, which is best if you use spotify from desktop, now no ads! if you want no ads on phones or tablets you will want premium.

That chart isn't correct though.

I'm listening to Spotify connect through my iPhone connected direct to my amp as we speak.  I have to do it (even with ads, unfortunately) as my airplay amp doesn't work - dropping connection to my iphoe with iTunes match.  I dropped my spotify sub this week as can't justify a tenner a month.

Just means the occasional ad - just like listening to a commercial radio station that only plays my favourite tracks randomly 🙂

The "play through hardware devices" refers to partner hardware devices which include a spotify app. I guess it wouldn't all fit into the box 🙂

Spotify Unlimited is just Spotify without ads. For mobile devices is useless...

It is uncharming.  In fact, it's rather obnoxious.  I'm a marketing tech guy in Silicon Valley and I recognize some of the bad tactics.

Essentially Spotify marketing determined that they would "push" the Premium version and hide the Unlimited version.  That's why you can't find anything on the web site, that's why there's not common sense table on the website and one had to be created by a very helpful member of the user community. 

I'm not bashing Spotify.  I'm just getting to know the service and I really like it.

I just wish their marketing team would come clean.  They have every right to change or simplify their product line to "Free" vs. "Premium" and that's it.  But if you have a mid-tiered product, e.g., Unlimited, then don't hide it and drive everyone crazy.  Have it or not.  Or set an EOL date for it.

Some free product management advice from someone with 18 yrs tech prod mgt!  No consulting charge today!  🙂

Essentially Spotify marketing determined that they would “push” the Premium version and hide the Unlimited version. That’s why you can’t find anything on the web site, that’s why there’s not common sense table on the website and one had to be created by a very helpful member of the user community.

Personally I’ve learnt everything about Premium vs Unlimited just by listening to the Spotify commercials (on Spotify itself) and reading their website. All the information has always been there.

Spotify unlimited pretty much is an EOL as it ever will be, it is no longer advertised to new customers and it is not available in any of the recent market launches. It purely lives on mainly for those legacy people who are still on the plan.

Peter

Great, please share a link from the Spotify website where Unlimited is described and compared with Free and Premium, because most of the user community cannot find this information.  

That makes sense and pretty much what I figured.  Thanks.

please share a link from the Spotify website where Unlimited is described

I wrote “all the information has always been there”, I used the past tense. Of course, it was there while the Unlimited service existed. Now it’s not offered anymore, so there is no reason why Spotify should keep advertising and describing a discontinued service.

But, as said before, during all the period while Spotify Unlimited was available, both the site and the audio commercials included clear descriptions of the differences.

Could I get a clarification on the ability to "play Spotify through hardware devices and Spotify connect?" 

@escobedf - That is a Premium only feature that allows you to use Spotify on Hardware Devices (such as Sonos, Smart TVs, Onkyo etc) and Spotify Connect which allows you to essentially remove control Spotify and use Connect Enabled Speakers.

There is more information about Spotify Connect here:
https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Spotify-Connect

Peter

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Connect spotify functionality does not exist on Android, does it?

I was recently looking for a remote solution and I ended up going with Spotimote through the Google Play store...

I know it's a long shot, but with respect to hardware devices, is there any way to play Spotify Premium music on devices that do not utilize wifi/connectivity (i.e. ipod classics)? 

Thanks for the prompt response.

Spotify Connect is available on Android, iOS and Connect enabled speakers - annoyingly you can't yet use it to remote control the desktop client but Spotify have confirmed it will be added in the future. 

As for iPod classics and similar devices, I'm afraid not. 

Peter

If I want listen to my playlist I have shuffle mode but on tablets u can listen to any song u want

@sergioarroyo287 Yes on mobile shuffle play only but tablets is on demand, with ads  🙂 

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

hello!

I want to downgrade from premium to unlimited. When i click unsubscribe, the website asks me if i really want to leave premium, and compares it with free, but doesn't give the option to sign up for unlimited. Is this still available? I don't want ads, but no longer need spotify on my phone.

thanks!

aoife

Spotify Unlimited has been discontinued.

Suggested posts