Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Support for Chromecast

Support for Chromecast

Hi,

Are there any plans to add support for Chromecast? This would be a really great feature.

Regards,
Terje
31 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

There is an idea for chromecast support here. Feel free to add Kudos and comment to show your support! Unfortunately from the looks of things they have marked it as Not Right now. However, given it's popularity, it will be right up the list of things to do after their current 'priorities' are finished.

Anthony ๐Ÿ™‚

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

You guys should really get Chromecast on the front burner. I would pay if it worked.

Chromecast does not support Spotify yet. However, if you have an Apple TV 3 and a Mac, simply change the output of the sound in your System Preferences to Apple TV Airplay. Spotify plays perfectly through the Apple TV to your entertainment centre.

It's not as pretty as a full blown app would be, but you can cast a Chrome tab playing the web version of Spotify.

yeah but the sound quality seems way lower than with a native stream decoded by the device. (here it's chrome browser that re-encode the stream and it's not as good as what you would get with a native app - or so I heard).

Please add a native support to chromecast (compatible with DAC decoding in Hi sound resolution)...

I use the Airfoil app to stream Spotify to Apple TV and for best sound quality use the fibre optic digital out into my Dac. Works great.

If you go to play.spotify.com, use spotify that way you can cast it, on to chromecast it works! Just tried it!

Chromecast used to work from play.spotify.com, but for some mysterious reason, that now seems to not work.

As with many in this community, I have enabled the Google Music free 30 day trial.  It is working fabulously with my Chromecast.  If I do not see a Chromecast enablement from Spotify within the next 30 days, my 3 year Spotify Premium will be cancelled.

Sorry Spotify, you need to prioritize the trends from your user base properly, and Chromecast is one of the most innovative offerings of the past 12 months.

Clock is ticking with this loyal Spotify Premium user, but streaming music to my best audio setup is paramount to which service provides the content.

@ohiolimoncello - Haven't seen any other reports of this, what kind of behavior do you get when you try to use the web player?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It is April 2nd, and Chromecast is working today from play.spotify.com.

Wrong Spotify does not support Chromecast. Not the other way around.  Chromecast has an open SDK.  I honestly think, because of the way that spotify uses song specific URLs to run its online app (which is how chromecast works to begin with), it would take a good software engineer minutes not hours, but minutes to get a chromecast to work, and less than a day to perfect it.  Follow it up with some beta testing and spotify could role out Chromecast support in a week. 

I find it very disappointing that spotify doesn't work with chromecast yet and has not communicated any plans on when they will. I love spotify but am seriously looking at the alternatives.

+1 for the disappointed.

I know there is another main post on the subject, but until spotify responds we should go for visibility for their bad decision, and highlight/bump all the different threads on the subject.

Very disappointed. Just canceled my membership after a full year of paying premium

Im puzzled by the last update.. AppleCar Play support?!?!? Why have this been developed before chromecast support? Surely there must be at least one million chromecast users for every applecar user at this point?
Please start to prioritize. And I agree with a previous commentor - if the chromecast support takes more than a week to implement - hire a programmer to do it.

For your information while we wait for the extremely slow development (or rather bad decision to be turned around), there are a couple of workarounds app-wise on android.

I use an app called airaudio to send system sound from phone to Chromecast. Root is needed though.

Come on Spotify. This is a "just-do-it" update.

I have just canceled premium in favor of a competitor that has native chrome cast support.
Even though I like spotify's features much better, cc support is a must for me the way I have designed my apartment's sound system.
I'll come back happily as soon as chrome cast support is as available.

@Jambo365 wrote:

Chromecast does not support Spotify yet. However, if you have an Apple TV 3 and a Mac, simply change the output of the sound in your System Preferences to Apple TV Airplay. Spotify plays perfectly through the Apple TV to your entertainment centre.

Incorrect. Google has relased the public API so anyone can port to Chromecast. It is Spotify who does not support Chromecast.

@   ohiolimoncello wrote:

It is April 2nd, and Chromecast is working today from play.spotify.com.

@Shamelessmess wrote:

If you go to play.spotify.com, use spotify that way you can cast it, on to chromecast it works! Just tried it!

How?  Where?

Suggested posts