We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.Learn more here

Close
Radio Producer
mbug90

I want an Echonest API app!

I love all the Spotify apps being offered that allow me to discover new music.  I really do.  But there are not enough of them.  I also cannot find user created apps for Spotify that do the same thing or even user created Spotify apps in general at all.  All the ones I have used are out of date, broken, or lead to a 404 page.

I would really like to have an app for Spotify that allows us to use the Echonest API to find new music in the Spotify catalog and create playlists.  We just enter our key and type values into text boxes and hit "Search."

This dream app does not exist yet and probably never will, unless Spotify listens.  I don't like Spotify radio, it plays music that I already know about and someone is suggesting a Discovery mode for Radio, but it may be almost forever until Spotify decides to implement it.  I also do not have the attention span to code it myself.  Learning to code takes a loooong time, am I wrong?  And, I know I have been dissuaded by family and friends from learning to code the applications of my dreams.  Debugging will also be tedious as I will be going back and forth between running the application and trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

Peter
Kudos: 9,461

Re: I want an Echonest API app!

There are a few apps I use often for new content:

Lazify which uses the last.fm API (just make a playlist with a few tracks, drag it onto Lazify in the sidebar).

- Obviously the lastfm app too :P

- Not sure what APIs its using, but I've also got some pretty rocking playlists out of Filtr/

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Community PM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Label Star
Christoffer

Hello!

I used the Echo Nest API and it's very good so i can see why you would like an app using it. Could you explain a bit more about the app you would like to do?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Check album availability here

Want to search artists/bands by city? Visit this site
Radio Producer
mbug90

It allows users to search for songs by tempo, energy, danceability, hottness, and all the other attributes of the Echonest API.
Radio Producer
mbug90

bump
jwylot

You can post a specific idea in the idea section and, if it gets enough support, spotify may consider it.

Joe
I don't work for Spotify, I'm just here for the beer music

Check out my collaborative audiobook playlist

Radio Producer
mbug90

I don't want to do that. They'll just mark it as "Not Right Now" and forget about it.
Radio Producer
mbug90

bump
Label Star
dinomight

It's a good idea. I believe Spotify Radio is actually built on the Echonest API, or at least it was. I would be happy just to have it incorporate more of the fine tuning features Echonest currently offers. That being said, your best bet on here as mentioned by @jwylot will be to create an idea and see if enough people show interest.

The Spotify team really does look at these. It just takes a lot of time and prioritization to decide what to actually implement. If you really want this added, that's the way to make it known.

- Brett

Was this post helpful? If so, please be sure to add kudos.

Spotify Profile Last.fm Profile
Label Star
Christoffer

I'm working on a website that will let you search for music using the Echo Nest API. And could extend it with some more search criterias. But the problem is to automatically create playlists from the search result.

Check album availability here

Want to search artists/bands by city? Visit this site
Announcements
Win free Premium
This contest is now closed. The winners will be posted here very soon.

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.