Spotify Announcements

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Spotify Legend
Jude

Preview release: Spotify Desktop 0.8.5 - Gapless, crossfade, offline mode,...

[ Edited ]

Spotify 0.8.5 is now on preview release. We should start rolling out the automatic upgrades soon. If you want to try out the new features now, you can jump right in.

Download: Windows | Mac

You can read about some of the new features on the Spotify Blog. I'll go into a little more detail below:

Gapless playback

Tracks that are intended to play continuously, with no gap, will now do so. Where there are silences between tracks on an album, they will be as long as intended to be. In short, albums will now play as intended (as they would do on a CD). It worth noting that "gapless playback" doesn't mean that all tracks in your playlists will play with no gaps between them.

Tracks will play back gaplessly when

• played from an Album page
  • played from playlists or queue, where any pair of sequential tracks from an album appear

Since this is an important feature where it applies, and doesn't really detriment play from randomly composed playlists, the feature is turned on by default.

Crossfade

This one explains itself. Try it out.

You'll find these features in Preferences (Win: Edit > Preferences | Mac: Spotify > Preferences )

Offline mode (Premium only)

You can now choose to go offline in the desktop application, just as you can in the mobile apps. Some customers have asked for this. It means that you can listen to offline synched playlists and imported local music files without any P2P complications that can sometimes arise if you are, for instance, using a corporate network, or using a mobile 3G dongle.

You'll find the setting under the File menu in Windows, and under the Spotify menu in Mac.

Hide purchase ("Get") buttons (Premium only)

Many of our subscribers are happy with having all of your music in Spotify's catalogue, and don't feel the need to regularly buy music to "own". These buttons are visual clutter. You can now hide them.

If you do feel like buying a track, or re-downloading a track that you have already bought, you can

• show the buttons again, or
  • right-click any track, selection of tracks, etc

Playlists - View as album list

This isn't actually a new feature, but it was previously hidden behind the keyboard command, Ctrl+G. Now it's on the View menu too. Use this command while viewing a list, and it will show you album art thumbnails (Repeat the command, to go back to the basic view). This is available in all lists, apart from Search results, Inbox and Play queue.

Notes

• Local files are aren't yet supported for gapless playback. The status on that one is "Working on it".
  • The entire catalogue has not yet been re-encoded for gapless playback. The tracks are being re-encoded in order of popularity. This means that practically all Spotify "plays" will be gapless-enabled. You may still find some music that does not play gaplessly, if you have exquisitely obscure taste. Please don't report any such tracks for the time being.

Community Legend
SteveBrammer

Re: Preview release: Spotify Desktop 0.8.5 - Gapless, crossfade, offline mode,...

[ Edited ]

Aha, so the big re-encoding job that's causing lots of resyncing and for which no one was allowed to tell us the reason for, is to enable gapless playback, as I originally suspected.

Music Lover
Sean27Forester

Re: Preview release: Spotify Desktop 0.8.5 - Gapless, crossfade, offline mode,...

So what is this "Purchases"? You can buy tracks inside of Spotify?

Spotify Legend
Jude

Yes, Sean, but the Download store isn't available in the US just yet.

Garage Band
rrkelley

Any time frame to expect the US downloads store to come to fruition?

-Ryan
Garage Band
jayy

It would be nice if the last song played and the song history would be a preference settings instead of it being forced upon your users.

I don't want to login to see that I have 30 seconds left of the last song I was playing nor do I want to login each time to see a huge long clutter of song history. Why don't you guys make this as a preference...
Community Legend
licenced

The links about are to a version 0.8.2 - not the 0.8.5 mentioned. Is this right?
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Roadie
Nullgrad

[ Edited ]

I like the gapless feature it's great for live albums, however I seem to be getting a lot of breaks in the  tracks whilst playing which has only started since I took the update.

Music Lover
mvdv

Great new features! Thanks Spotify! Especially Crossfade a very welcome addition :)

Now add a way to delete duplicate tracks in a Playlist already, for god sake!

Community Legend
Claudius

If I enable both options "Gapless playback" + "Crossfade tracks" at the same time, which option will take precedence? Will I get the gapless playback or crossfaded tracks?

Found this post useful? Please give Kudos↘. Answered your question? Mark it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.