Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert VIP
craPkit

Re: Spotify Free Changes: 5 Play Limit

[ Edited ]

@princessgleek

The problem is that many (major and indie) labels have to be negotiated with to make a service like this possible in one country, while many artists are signed to different labels in different countries (especially when comparing US to UK).
Next, you probably have to take different collecting societies into consideration, which will all want (to distribute) their share of your 10 bucks a month (to the artists you play). Just take a look at this wikipedia list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_copyright_collection_societies) to get a basic idea of how many parties are involved "when it comes to streaming music" internationally.

Garage Band
princessgleek

Well ofcause many labels have to be negotiated, but doesn't that go for every country, so my question is why are these labels ok with all but  two countries with spotify having the 5 play thing dropped but not the Uk, it's got to be down to more then just the labels, it's got to be down to laws etc

Garage Band
Soltanis

Not sure why there hasn't be a complete uproar abou this, this is just bad what ever way you look at it.

Music Fan
dannyboy206

The UK missing out as usual. Several of us use my free spotify account and I can't really justify a subscription with my phone contract etc. I presumed by the title that the changes would be for all markets, but ridiculously this is not the case.

Music Fan
pandora_ann

I'm in the UK but have been using Spotify for quite a while now, much longer than six months.  For almost a year I've been an Unlimited subscriber but switched back to the free account earlier this month as my old card expired and I just haven't gotten around to udating the details yet.  This means the 5 plays limit is new to me and one I'm really not happy about.  This isn't exactly working as an incentive to re-subscribe or buy the song (I've more than likely got on an old CD somehere). 

It's a shame as I'm very supportive of the business model and really do think this is the right direction for the music industry to be heading.  Adverts I understand, but a limit on the number of times you can listen to a song is coercion and I will not be coerced into making a purchase.

Sam

Pandora_ann - As I mentioned before, this limit certainly isn't to push users towards a subscription. It's needed so we can offer the free service in the long run.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Music Fan
pandora_ann

I understand this, but that's what the limit does feel like.  I'm clearly not the only person who feels that way and I'm guessing the majority of people don't bother to make their way to your community pages and search for a thread which explains the reasons behind the limit.  Besides, I believe it is a case of coercion from the labels and rights holders, if not Spotify itself.

Sam

Sorry if I sounded a little edgy in my last post. I'd just attempted to sip a bit of tea and missed. We do totally understand where you're coming from, which is why we're working hard to bring these 5 play changes to everyone. Fingers crossed, it'll be sooner rather than later.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Music Fan
GrimsbyLad

I have just received an email from Spotify saying they're missing me. I'm sure they are - I've been a member since about the time Jack the Ripper stalked the streets of Whitechapel, but have got thoroughly brassed off with being unable to play many tracks in my (approx) 400-title list. I have just checked and discover that more than 50 tracks are greyed out. Obviously, the majority of these are my favourites. I wasn't aware of the five-play limit until logging in here, but that is no comfort to me. As a result of this embargo, I returned to another site a while back where there are no such restrictions and I can listen to all the tracks in my 500-title catalogue (even if I have paid for about a dozen of them). I left that site, as I thought for good, and migrated many, many moons ago to Spotify (at their request) because the grass seemed much greener. It was - until some spoilsport sprayed  weedkiller around, leaving ugly brown patches all over my lawn. Sorry, Spotify, but while it may not be your fault I feel extremely p-----d off that once again, we in the UK are handed the **bleep**ty end of the stick to hold. Perhaps those responsible will wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late.

Music Lover
chrisdq82

yea kinda glad i have the premium plan :smileyindifferent: but its nice to know none the less

Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.