Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files displayed as synced, won't play

Local files displayed as synced, won't play

I have local files in my desktop Spotify. Every time I restore/change my phone I have to do a bunch of things to get them transferred to my iOS Spotify.

This particular time, Local files show as "Pending" in the desktop app, no activity is going on. In the iOS app, Local Files playist has no green arrow but all the files inside do have a green arrow next to them. If I try to play any track - Spotify pops up the Track view with "--" for time and no scrubber and nothing happens.

35 Replies

Hi,

Are these local files DRM-protected? If they are Spotify won't play them.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?!
Follow me: Snapchat | Twitter | I'm a Blackstar!

No, regular mp3. I can get them on my ios spotify but after some delete/resync/reinstall stuff.

My setup is: iPhone 6, iOS 8, OS X 10.8. Nothing is jailbroken/pirated/whatever. Mp3s are not protected.

If you add those local files to another playlist in Spotify, does that playlist offline sync on your iPhone? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Having the exact same issue, and have same set up as above, having just upgraded to iphone 6.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, i'm still having to use my old iphone 5 without a sim in it to play local music i'd previously synced! 

If I add a local file to a new playlist and sync it t shows on desktop and on the phone as synced (with a green arrow) but it won't play just like before.

If it makes any difference on desktop I select "Manually choose playlists to sync".

desktop.png

2014-09-26 20.10.56.png

2014-09-26 20.10.59.png

2014-09-26 20.11.03.png

Yep, this is exactly my issue also. As per your screenshots above.

Strange, what format is the local file? 

Peter

Mine are in mp3 format (of varying bitrate between 128 - 320 kbps)

I've fixed this now (I think!) by removing/re-adding the sources for my local files on my desktop and deleting/re-adding the Spotify app to my phone.  I then sync the to playlists which include both local and spotify tracks to my phone as 'available offline' and they are now showing as correctly synced and will play through without showing the "--" track view 😄

Peter

Ok cool, going to leave this open for the time being, if more reports come in we can look into it closer! 

Peter

Exactly the same issue with my iPhone 6.

The tracks are not greyed out (which would be what I'd expect to see if they weren't synced). They appear in white text in the playlist. Yet when I press on one to play, it displays -:-- for the start and end times and doesn't play anything.

I tried unchecking the tick box nect to the album and checking it again. It flashed up 'syncing' over the album cover for a split second and that was it.

Files are regular MP3 files. No protection.

Here's one of them https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19215639/Sound%201%20at%20frame%200.mp3

FYI, I switched desktop Spotify to sync all music and that didn't help. Local files still says "pending".

I deleted local files from my desktop Spotify, re-added them, reinstalled iOS app, synced files.

Out of 228 tracks only 98 were added to the phone. Good news is that those 98 tracks weren't playable before and they are but there's still a bunch of tracks missing and Local Files still says "Pending" on the desktop.

I am having the same Issue the Song Plays on my Desktop and Ipad But not my new Iphone 6+ I have Deleted all sources add them back i have Resync all music Nothing will Fix this I even went as far as to adding them to itunes and they still wont play 

This is also happening to me on my iPhone 6+ every time I update on the last 2-3 updates.  It's quite an ordeal since I have to delete the app and spend hours resyncing all my music.  I've been seeing this issue elsewhere as well.  I'm getting to the point where I'm going to turn off all automatic updating on my phone and not update Spotify anymore.

@grunzen 

I've been talking to a developer at Spotify about this. Hopefully they can find the root of the problem and fix it soon.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts