Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
eymey

I still have the (educated) feeling that Spotify really does not intend to implement Chromecast support any time soon. 

And that would be a purely commercial decission. If Spotify would work fantastically with those cheap-ass Chromecast devices, how would anyone ever want to purchase an (expensive) Sonos or other device with Spotify built in? 

But if that would be the reason, just be a good brave company and admit it!

In the current world, I think company's should make some choices:

* Work with other (big company) partners exclusively, and accept that only users of those devices will be inclined to use your service

* Be on top of all developments in the consumer electronics market and support as much as platforms and protocols as possible so you will retain a diverse customer base. 

The only conclusion I can draw out of this "Chromecast soap", is that the big capitalist directors at Spotify are really afraid to piss off some big partners......

naos

@eymey

Unfortunately it starts to look like that. Still I hope it won't happen because Spotify is Europe based company, and I really wanted to support European tech company instead of US one as we already lag a lot in IT. Looks like they won't give me a choice though.

Currently the only way to listen to Spotify from Android phone/tablet is to buy expensive Sonos Connect box - £279. So Spotify is simply saying to all Android users that instead of buying something cheap like Chromecast  (£30) we need to spend £279? I'm sorry but that is not going to happen in my case. iOS users can buy airport express for £60 and they are done. I'm not going to spend few hundred pounds, instead I will switch to other service as I'm much into Android ecosystem, I never going to switch from Android to iOS for Spotify, sorry.

jwort93

This feature would be great! It would be even better if it behaves in a similar way to the youtube app, where multiple different people can queue up songs from their own device.

st0650

Yep this is getting pretty ridiculous. It shouldn't be that hard to implement this into the app with SDK being available now. Seems like Spotify cares more about their partners and less about their paying customers. Probably going to have to make the switch to Google Play soon. 

naguz

Over half a year without Chromecast, support, several years without AirPlay support, which is till not available on Android, stalled linux desktop development, pretty lousy support for other third party and stand-alone players (yet you obviously favour them over what your users want), and still Spotify is the most expensive audio streaming service currently out there... Is it just me, or is something not adding up here?

Every since the greedy big bad labels got into you, Spotify, and started sucking you dry, you've moved steadily towards the bottom of the value for money chart compared to your competitors.

quiro91

I would go prefium if Spotify had chromecast support. Please, add it

Maaarcus

I absolutely love Spotify, its my go to for all music, stuff the rest of them. But after buying a Chromecast which works suberbly i just feel like its missing the music aspect. Spotify this is your chance to fill that massive gap! Get on it! 

thinktwo
I'm currently testing Google music and I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship. That's mainly because of chromecast support
olehenrikj

I canceled my premium subscription today, and switching to Google Music. It has everything i listen to (also because I'm able to upload 20000 songs in the cloud), which Spotify hasn't, like Rammstein.

Dunno if I will see any reason to come back to Spotify, but it has to be if they launch chromecast support and a "hifi" edition, meaning lossless sound quality.

AnttiE

My subscription will end on monday. I could wait for chromecast if they would just give some timetable but they have so bad communication with the paying customers that I am done with this.

Its too bad since I really like spotify service more than google music. I have had a bit hard time to learn using google music now since they are missing some features which I am always using with Spotify. 

I think that Spotify has made some contract with third party companies and this is why they are late in the game. I could use my yamaha spotify connect to play spotify from the big tv. Unfortunately its not very well implemented graphics wise. I get this bad looking text box there which states the name of the artist and song. I have 60" plasma and really worried that the graphics would burn on the screen if using long time. This is why chromecast works much better since at least with the google music the album art is moving on the screen.

But as I said, I could wait IF they just would say that will be released Q2, Q3 even Q4. Now they have no comments and they just come up with some very stupid updates "play one song repeatedly" wohoo..I mean wtf is this..