Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
Glitchy

I can't blieve spotify does not support Chromecast yet.  It would make this service so much more useful to me. 

It should be easy to implement.  I can't really think of any reason why we don't have it yet.  

When can we expect Chromecast support?

Tasterin241

You guys just don't seem to get it, Spotify doesn't want to support chromecast because they have this garbage feature called "Spotify Connect". If they were to support Chromecast, that feature would be useless to users. The issue is that that feature is already useless but they think it's going to be great and help make them money, blah blah.

It is trivial for them to add chromecast, it's not trivial for the people that run the company to realize that spotify connect will fail and they should just support chromecast and persue spotify connect as well if they really want. 

I urge you to keep this information in your reply so that it continues to show up for everyone that posts replies in the future.

Spotify users that want chromecast now know the truth that Spotify isn't telling you and is giving generic reasons for why they wont support it. 

Tasterin241

P.S. If you didn't read it, this is from the spotify response:

"However, due to several prevailing priorities we're going to have to say "not right now" to this idea. "

their priorities are in spotify connect, not because they're trying to work out bugs in the app or something. Enabling chromecast is a joke progamitcally, they just have their financial priorities with the useless spotify connect and won't add an icon for chromecast. 

Slaapje

They really dont take their users seriously. They themselves have said this idea was uncommonly popular, but they wont implement it..

Kyalimers

This really needs to be added, and soon. Spotify is falling behind Rdio and even Pandora.

Needless to say if this is not added by the time my annual subscription ends, I will move on to another service.

mayr

Over 3500 kudos and 80 pages of comments and still no ChromeCast support. This needs to happen already.  Get with it, Spotify.

cattmombs

I prefer the idea of Spotify not losing to other, larger competitors, but the personal sacrifice of not having Chromecast support is close to outweighing this desire and sending me Google Music's way...

wallepuh

Any comment on this yet? It should be a top prio depending on the competition. And whats the status?

waltduncan

I'm going to have to 3,578th this idea.

It certainly seems like Chromecast is low priority because of the competing Spotify Connect partnerships, but I guess I should give the benefit of the doubt and assume that such is not the reason for failing to rush to add this feature. But between this and the web player not being switched to HTML5 from Flash, my use cases for Spotify are NOT keeping up with the times. I love using Spotify, but if the company's schemes are going to push me away, that's on them.

I mean, this topic has been viewed over 120k times!

exxazz

SOLUTION: Use Spotify to GMusic Playlist Assistant and cancel the Spotify account.