Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
xoagray

I'd love to see Chromecast support as well, Just got one of them recently and can't believe how often I find myself using it. 🙂  

CBarrows

I've seen plenty of people say this recently, but I want to add my own statement. If you're still sitting here, hoping Spotify is going to do this, you are truly optimists. I've been off Spotify now for more than a few months and I don't regret it. Would I love to return to Spotify, sure, but I'm happy with  Google Play Music. Spotify clearly has a relationship/agreement that will not allow them to use Chromecast. There's no other reason to NOT implement it. 

My only wish is that they would be as transparent enough to say something. If you are "waiting" one more month, I'd personally suggest you stop waiting and move on.

preece

Anyone know how the audio quality compares between spotify and google play.

I'm thinking of switching from spotify to google play. I tried the free trial but audio quality seemed slightly worse ( at  least to my ears ). Just wondering if anyone else had made the swich, and if they thought it sounded as good?

joejm86

Come on Spotify! You've gotta listen to us on this one. I love you guys. Please don't give me a reason to switch sides.

joejm86
Boseoov

@joejm86 wrote:

Where? There is no single post from the Spotify customer service in your linked thread.

Andrews32

Maybe that's the problem? That Spotify has basically completely ignored us, not the fact that he mistook a mod for an actual Spotify member? Or the fact they bribe people with freebies to do their customer service work for them so they don't have to hire enough actual people? Shouldn't a company that values itself in the billions be able to do a better job at communication and customer interaction?

Or are two updates within a year, with absolutely no rationale behind the how/when/why of implementing/not implementing, satisfactory for you?

jodder

Moving my playlists from Spotify to Google Music atm. (Does anyone know a good/fast way to do this?)

I'll consider moving back to Spotify when/if Chromecast support is added, but since Spotify rarley listen to their costumers - I probably won't.

thudufushi

Spotify for heaven's sake - LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE - I too have cancelled my Premium subscription with you and moved my playlists and listening to Google Music All Access. Chromecast is like a 'standard' now , there are millions in use and its growing, we use CHROMECAST EVERY DAY. Excluding support is ruining your business. You could implement it and its little icon in  no time.  I have a feeling you could get a lot of customers return if you support Chromecast, until then, we are all with Google, wake up and smell the coffee.

I just don't understand the reasons for not implementing this. Can Spotify really not see the business sense behind allowing me to have a huge Spotify logo on my living room TV when I have friends over?

Definitely considering Rdio/Google Play Music switch, even though I love the Spotify service. This is important to us.