Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
trademark7

As much as I love Spotify, I'm slowly reverting back to my localized music server since Subsonic supports Chromecast now...I'd love to use it more heavily, but I really would need Spotify to support my heavy Chromecast use to really solidify Spotify as the all-time best contender for me.

Train12

Love Spotify, but have decided to put my subscription on hold for the time being while I explore alternatives again and the reason ... Chromecast, a recent acquired item and something I am finding I cannot live without now.

As others have mentioned, the lack of Chromecast support is starting to be a deal breaker for some of us. I've stumbled upon Deezer now and I'm considering looking at Rdio again, which I originally left for Spotify pretty much due to their support of Chromecast. This isn't merely a nice-to-have feature, but a must have now!

Please heed your customer's (and former) warnings that dragging your heels on this is going to hurt you guys in the long term. I can honestly say if it were not for the lack of Chromecast support I wouldn't be here posting this now and looking elsewhere ...

TallPaul

Hi all. Not sure if it helps/hinders/makes things seem like they may happen whe they wont, but heres my twitter conversation with

SpotifyCares, at least they are listeining  to an extent.

spo.jpg

TallPaul

Hi all. Not sure if it helps/hinders/makes things seem like they may happen whe they wont, but heres my twitter conversation with

SpotifyCares, at least they are listeining  to an extent.

Well basically again nothing. 😞

twisted-space

I'm seriously considering  closing my premium account and moving to google play music due to the lack of progress.

Spotify connect is unreliable at best  (on htc one m7 gpe, lg gpad 8.3 and rikomagic 802mkiiis).

Merdon

I just cancelled my Spotify Premium account now, the absence of Chromecast just makes Spotify inferior to its competitors. I consume all my media through Chromecast at home and just can't give Spotify any more special treatment. Switching to Google Music, too bad since I really liked Spotify otherwise. There are tools to export your Spotify playlist, just a tip for you others who have given up waiting. 

By the way, you could at least have waited until you killed Spoticast before you implemented the feature yourself! Or do you really expect Spotify Connect to take off? Couse history has shown that proprietary systems always work out for the best....jesus, drop your world domination plans, just not gonna work it the music industry, but don't take my word for it, ask Sony! 

Gait

Could Spotify please make the timeout on this forum take longer? So I don't have to login every time I need to add my kudos?

jocasantana
That's truly a pity we cannot stream music from the app to TV. Spotfy, please do it as Rdio did already!
iannickb

Waited long enough.. Rdio already implemented this.

andysenn

I understand that Spotify is trying to push their own service, Spotify Connect. The problem is, my devices don't support it, and I'm not going to replace all of my perfectly good hardware (most of it fairly new) to gain support for this feature. Instead, I just end up like so many others, unable to leverage what could otherwise be an extremely popular feature that would attract a much broader demographic.

What I don't understand is why Chromecast can't also be a part of the Spotify Connect ecosystem. If they're adding support to Wi-Fi connected speakers and receivers, what's prohibitive of providing that same functionality to another Wi-Fi connected device like a Chromecast? If they want support to become ubiquitous, I would think that the best way to do that would be to start by target devices that are already popular and perfectly capable. In fact, it would save them money in marketing too. It's going to be a lot harder to market a small subset of devices. If it were available on popular devices, word would spread amongst their customers very, very quickly. I've talked to a few coworkers recently who had never even heard of Spotify Connect. I found out about it when Googleing Chromecast support in Spotify.

At the very least, I think it would be a good move to provide affordable hardware (comparable to the Chromecast) that can be used to add support to existing devices, whether it connects via HDMI or simply has jacks to which an existing stereo system can be connected.