Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Close Button Closes Spotify [Windows]

Or at least minimize it to a tray Icon. But I would say close it. Maybe this is more of an opinion, but I've only used 2 programs that are this bad. Skype and Spotify. And Skype is a really bad program.  So I don't know why in Spotify, the Close and Minimize button do the same exact thing. I would like a quick way to close the program and stop the musik.  This is mainly a problem for me on Windows 7 and I believe linux is very similar.

2015-03-12

Hey everyone. This feature was implemented for Windows users in our latest update (1.0). You can read more about this update here. Thanks for your kudos and feedback here in the Idea Exchange. 

Comments
isf

@robert952: Amen brother.

Basiclife

I can't believe this is anything other than an attempt to keep the number of P2P nodes high and reduce load on your network.

It wouldn't be so bad if "closing" stopped music playing but it doesn't - so now I click close, remember Spotify is just plain rude, go hunt out the icon from the system tray, right-click and then quit.

What a waste of time for no benefit to me as a user.

Sort your act out.

LittleEndu

2 years has passed and we still have that problem... Learn the differnece between _ and X

hoteljason

Seriously, Spotify? Two and half years? There must be soooooome ulterior motive keeping you from making that little red "X" do what all good little red "X"s in Windows ought to do. BTW, I installed some code with a shortcut (Google it--you'll find it) so that all I have to do is hit ctrl+alt+K and it kills Spotify. So "Nyah!" 😛

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Under Consideration

2014-09-15

Hey everyone, staff here. We just want to say this idea hasn't been forgotten. It is still "Under Consideration" and we will update here the moment we have more information. Thanks for your continued feedback guys!

Rorey
Status changed to: Watch this space

2014-09-24

Hello everyone. Staff here. 

We thought we'd give an update on why this has been "under consideration" for so long. Just to clarify, this feature works this way by deliberate design because we wanted people to keep Spotify running so that they could be p2p peers even if they weren't playing music.

Earlier this year, we decided to take this idea under consideration. However, it became clear from the feedback that we needed this as a setting since some seemed to prefer the minimize option so we started work to make this happen.

Recently some upcoming changes to Spotify have meant that we will to stop work on this for now. We want to do this but implementation is more complicated than simply coding the setting. We hope to have an update soon. 

imalek

But why can't it be an option??

Leave the default setting to minimize, but allow those who prefer, to close it.

I run a WMC setup with a remote, and if spotify was "closed" into the background using the current setup, the spotify will start playing when i hit certain commands on the remote.

Annoying.

thelomen

I hate Spotify a little more every time it does not exit when I clik the X button 😞 There is no getting used to this, since it's a broken functionality that differs from every UI guidelines ever.

"Earlier this year, we decided to take this idea under consideration. However, it became clear from the feedback that we needed this as a setting since some seemed to prefer the minimize option so we started work to make this happen."

No, you don't. Anyone that wants to minimize Spotify just have to use the already existing Minimize-button. This is how you minimize any Windows application. Why would you want to take on the responsibility of teaching people wrong UI behaviour? This will just hurt them when using other apps that works AS THEY SHOULD by actually closing. You are doing everyone a HUGE misfavour here and it's an incredibly arrogant **bleep** move by Spotify to break UI functionaltiy like this.

XmeansClose1

Spotify will not let you close it because it is a P2P client.  Spotify is using your computer and internet connection to stream to other users.  Less than 10% of the music that streams is streaming from spotify.  Most of the music is streaming from other users like you and I.  Read here for more:  http://pansentient.com/2011/04/spotify-technology-some-stats-and-how-spotify-works/

iferius

This is the only thing holding me back from upgrading my account. I hate the fact that spotify refuses to close when I tell it to, and I've been looking for better streaming software but unfortunately none have such a large library yet...