Spotify Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
martynnorman

Desktop Widgets (Windows 7/8 and Mac)

by martynnorman on ‎16-03-2012 09:13 AM

I'd like to see a floaty desktop widget or sidebar similar to what's on Android that just shows current song, play, skip, pause, etc without having to launch the full spotify client.

Hello everyone. Staff here with an update. In the recent past, our desktop team has been working hard on improving our looks, as well as the new Your Music feature. You can find more information about these improvements here. http://news.spotify.com/us/2014/04/02/spotify-paints-it-black-with-new-look/ In the near future, we're going to focusing on the quality of the desktop app so we're going to have to mark this idea as "Not Right Now". We want to be sure we're continuing to offer a fast and stable desktop version of Spotify. We may come back to this in the future so please add your comments and votes. Thanks for the idea!
Comments
by baeumesindcool on ‎09-04-2012 12:14 PM

I've just been searching for this as well and discovered this tool for Windows: spotifycontrol

On a first impression it seems to work, you can also set hotkeys which is a quite fancy extra imo.

For Mac there's an app called simplify, but it costs $2.99...

Greets!

by S10QaN on ‎16-10-2012 07:42 AM

Or... Toastify.

by International Sensation on ‎12-03-2013 12:22 AM - last edited on ‎21-12-2013 11:26 PM by World Tour
Status changed to: New Idea

Changed back to "new idea" status - once this idea reaches 100+ kudos the Spotify staff will review it again and decide on a new status. ~ Peter

by ReallyRandy on ‎21-03-2013 03:58 PM

I was looking for sometging like that. iTunes has a mode it goes into when you hit command-shift-M that looks like a widget.

by oikoume on ‎20-08-2013 03:12 PM

time to take this back up as a topic!

by rollee on ‎07-11-2013 03:04 PM

My brother used one before and I cant remember what its called so it would be awesome if Spotify could release this ! :) 

by Erelaszun on ‎04-01-2014 07:23 PM

I found this after some searching:

Gadgetify

I like it, but It would be awesome to have an offical gadget made by Spotify

by World Tour ‎04-01-2014 07:54 PM - edited ‎04-01-2014 08:46 PM

@Erelaszun Thanks for the tip! That's pretty cool. :)

Only thing that bugs me is that it shows a green background wallpaper when Spotify doesn't run.

Would be cool if it showed the last played album cover then...

I've just created a new skin and made that one transparent.

For me it just shows nothing now when Spotify doesn't run, which is better in my opinion.

Those "Spotify" and "Green" skins were kinda ugly. :D

by BigOLowrie on ‎27-01-2014 03:47 AM

@premify Could you eplain how to make a clear background for Gadgetify. I agree the stock options are quite ugly.

by World Tour ‎27-01-2014 11:20 AM - edited ‎27-01-2014 11:27 AM

@BigOLowrie Sure!

You first need to locate the Gadgetify folder, it is saved under Appdata

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets

Then click on the Gadgetify folder => skins

Just create a new folder and name it to your liking (it will show up with that name under the skin options menu of the gadget)

Now you need to create 2 transparent png-pics for that folder (I used the free software GIMP for that):

1 called "frame" with 130x130 px, the other one called "frame_large" with 260x260 px.

Now, just select the new option in the skin menu on the desktop - Done! 

Tell me if it worked for you or if you need more help. ;D

Announcements
ANNOUNCEMENTS

Ideas monthly review: September

Remember!: use SEARCH before posting. Your idea may have already been requested

Please have a look at the Community Guidelines in the welcome board.

Before posting a new idea, check out our idea submission guidelines

Want to know what happens to your ideas? "Check this out".

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count