Close
0 Kudos
Pobrecito

Digital Tip Jar to Directly Support Musicians‏

by Pobrecito ‎08-09-2013 04:33 PM - edited ‎08-09-2013 05:14 PM
I really dig your music service. It's amazing, it's legal, and artists get compensated. However, I am troubled by consistent reports that most independent artists really aren't getting a fair deal. Now, I understand you are a business yourself. Still, I hope in the long term artists can be compensated in a fair manner that is sustainable for all parties. Here is an idea in that direction:

What about creating a "Digital Tip Jar" that allows Spotify subscribers to directly 'tip' artists of their choice?  Spotify acts as the middleman. Instead of paying Spotify $10/month premium subscription, I elect to pay you $15. Or $20. Various set amounts. When I really dig an artist, I can go and leave them a 'tip' of $1 for being excellent. The $1 goes directly to them. Let's face it--a digital tip jar collecting dollars would make more of a difference to many indie artists than aggregate micropayments. 

You might counter--hey, if you're so into the artist, go to their website, buy their album, download a song, support their Kickstart or Indiegogo thing, buy some of their merch, see them on tour. But the reality is, for the most part I rarely will do that--except maybe seeing them on tour--whenever they might be coming around to my town--if they even still exist as a band. And the reality is that there's little reason to buy an album if they are on Spotify. (I'm not a vinyl fetishist). Nowadays for the most part it's actually more inconvenient to play an album than just streaming it on Spotify. Plus, I might not really be into paying $10-20 for an album or vinyl. The price point is a bit steep and I might not actually dig the artist that much or even want to own a physical item. 

But tipping someone a dollar whose song I really dug and sharing that info with my friends--I'd be happy to do that. And the social aspect of showing a 'tip' to a band--it would certainly demonstrate more of an endorsement of a band than simply playing their song or following them. It's a win, win all the way around.. And what's more--it would be a great convenience for me to have you handle the payment. I don't want to share my credit card info with everyone on the internet.  

So again--it's really simple. You give your subscribers the option of increasing their monthly fee amount. They then have to use that extra amount as tips by the end of the month. And you as middleman directly transfer to the artist that solid dollar tip. Sounds crazy, but I'll bet you many people exist like me who would like to, in effect, assuage our music consumer conscience and support artists by spreading a bit more wealth directly to musicians. 

The first company that figures out a way to do something like this will earn some respect from artists--especially independent artists-- and consumers. Overall good PR. So how about you give your developers a new project and make it happen!?

Still thanks for putting Spotify together in the first place. I'm a musician myself and I like the idea that I'm not stealing from other musicians. 

MF

First of, this is really a great idea and I'd wish this could become reality - I would surely support it.
Unfortunately this idea has already been suggested and declined. You can read the official answer here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Donate-To-This-Artist-button/idc-p/249224#M16697
Comments
by World Tour on ‎09-09-2013 12:00 AM
Status changed to: Duplicate Idea

First of, this is really a great idea and I'd wish this could become reality - I would surely support it.
Unfortunately this idea has already been suggested and declined. You can read the official answer here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Donate-To-This-Artist-button/idc-p/249224#M16697
Announcements
Labels
Polls
I follow people on Spotify because..

Top Choice: ..they have good music taste and I want new recommendations. (67%)

Votes: 92
Votes: 189
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count