Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discount Family Subscriptions!

Before I made the switch from Rdio to Spotify they (Rdio) came up with a pricing model that allowed families to purchase a slightly discounted subscription.  

$9.99 for single unlimited user

$17.99 for 2 family members (20% discount)

$22.99 for 3 family members (50% discount)

Would love to see a similar pricing model so the rest of the family could get in on the action!

Updated: 2015-04-23

Hey folks! We've introduced Spotify Family. With Premium for Family, you and up to 5 members of the same household can each enjoy their own Premium account. All for one discounted price of $14.99.

Thanks for your kudos in the Community--we want your feedback.

Comments
tonyrufkahr

This ^.  My household would definitely have 2 accounts if this were the case.  i would like to see multi household discounts as well as two users able to play silmutaneously (for a price, of course)

faan_skit

In an era where the CD is no longer available (almost there now), Spotify would find themself a Blue Ocean if they addressed the families; just like Nintendo did with the Wii - taking gaming to new (prettty big) community.

Family subscription is a simple business model innovations allowing Spotify to take this good thing to the next level. Moving towards commodotization in the streaming music industry, new innovative busniess models will separate one from the rest and I hope that Spotify is the one.

As of yesterday. I had to replace a broken CD player with a new one for my 7 yr old daughter. At that point, I really, really wished for a simple/stupid Spotify machine for my kids instead of spending the money on old tech.

However, at this point even with the tech available, I'm not prepared to dish out for more premium accounts cause it'd be a bit tough on the media budget to have 4 premium accounts for one family. Still, I'm fully in favour of paying for a family subscription made available on PC's and preferrably also on low-end devices.

All in all, there is surely a nice new revenue stream available for Spotify if you address the families and enables family accounts. Right now it's not available for you to grab to to current pricing schemes, but by enabling discounted family accounts you can grab that market.

So, team up with some low-end manufacturer and grab the opportunity before someone else does.

billca42

I think it would be great if you offered a family plan, similar to the ones that mobile phone carriers have. Basically, that would mean a discount compared to having multiple individual plans. I know you'd have to talk to the content providers, but I know that if you had it, I'd get an account for my son.

alienjackhammer

Can't kudos this enough.  Spotify is the only service I know of that doesn't allow multiple devices.  This could be a deal breaker for me... MOG is looking better all the time...

djdestasio11

Until there's some sort of family plan option, I'll continue using Rdio

cronik6425

I have been using spotify for about 6 months now and have enjoyed it thus far. Problem is, the rest of my family has been enjoying it as well which creates an issue when I'm at work or in the car.  I am actually now considering canceling my subscription because I am being kicked off spotify more and more often due to another user in my home listening to music from another device. 

It would be nice if Spotify offered a "family plan" that would allow say 3 users or X amount of users to access the same spotify account. Most familys cannot afford $9.99/month for every user in their home. If Spotify had a family plan for a few bucks more monthly that would allow additional users to also stream music simoultaneously I could see that value in this service. But as it stands now, Spotify is becoming an app we find ourselves fighting over because we cannot have 2 of us using it at the same time. 

Another feature that would be nice, password protected playlist! 

Being as all users have to use the same account, they all see the same play list.  I am all about sharing music, but I dont necessarily want my 6 year old listening to what my 16 year old is listening to. It would be wonderful if we could password protect certain playlist that may contain tracks with explicit lyrics. 

If I were able to password protect my playlist I would feel much more comfortable with the rest of the family using Spotify.... 

bradavon

Family plans are coming:

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/spotify-to-introduce-family-plans-1070812

Would this finally mean you can use Spotify to stream on your Desktop and Mobile at the same time? In theory it should do.

chrisdp

When will some form of family or home subscription be available?

Spotify is great and with the increasing number of different ways to access the service now such as iPhone / iPad / Sonos.  I want to be able to use more of these at once and also allow the use by the rest of the family.

Spotify needs to break the mould to become the dominant platform.  Something like Sky do where you can pay a small amount for an additional subscription in the same house. 

Dojan

I absolutly agree with this (although I think the propoased family pricing is to high). In the old days we would only buy one CD and share it within the family, we only pay one TV license for the family, so why should we need to pay for multiple Spotify accounts within the family? A small extra cost would be okay, but full Spotify Premium price for all 4 family members is just not reasonable.

Even for example satelite TV has a pricing model where you can watch on one TV for the normal subscription cost, but you can watch on an extra TV for just a small extra amount.

Right now we all just use one Spotify account and use off-line mode (on iPod and android), so we can listen to music att the same time, but that is somewhat cumbersome and I guess thats is not the intention of off-line mode. I would not have a problem to pay a small extra amount for a family subscription, but 4 Premium subscriptions is just not going to happen.

An alternative to the above discount model would be a single "family account" that would allow streaming to multiple devices simultanously (ex. 4) and would allow for more than 3 devices with off-line playlists. A reasonable price for such an account would be about $14.99 a month.

Dojan

This is kind of a duplicate to this: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Discount-Family-Subscriptions/idi-p/2275

I absolutly agree with this. In the old days we would only buy one CD and share it within the family, we only pay one TV license for the family, so why should we need to pay for multiple Spotify accounts within the family? A small extra cost would be okay, but full Spotify Premium price for all 4 family members is just not reasonable.

Even for example satelite TV has a pricing model where you can watch on one TV for the normal subscription cost, but you can watch on an extra TV for just a small extra amount.

Right now we all just use one Spotify account and use off-line mode (on iPod and android), so we can listen to music att the same time, but that is somewhat cumbersome and I guess thats is not the intention of off-line mode. I would not have a problem to pay a small extra amount for a family subscription, but 4 Premium subscriptions is just not going to happen.

A "family account" that would allow streaming to multiple devices simultanously (ex. 4) and would allow for more than 3 devices with off-line playlists would really solve this problem for many families. A reasonable price for such an account would be about $14.99 a month.