Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dlucero23

'Donate To This Artist' button

by dlucero23 ‎28-11-2012 11:05 PM - edited ‎30-11-2012 10:23 AM

EDIT: apparently Spotify does allow music purchases in app In some regions. It does not seem to be available in the US though. Also, I have not seen evidence of an option to donate money directly to an artist or group in any of the regions that purchases are allowed and integrated into Spotify

Now, I was planning on keeping this idea a secret, so that I could work on development code for an in-app app that would do just this, (as well as include a better described version of the vision I gave below), but I realize that I may not have all the resources that I would need to get the project done in a timely manner. So, I share it with you! :)

Background: In the UK, Microsoft has unveiled a new service that is supposed to not only compete with itunes and spotify, but kill the both of them.  They are supposed to both allow free streaming of almost all music, and also allow users to purchase songs and albums through the same interface.  As many of you may already know, Spotify does not give users an option to purchase music through the application.  iTunes does, but it does not allow for streaming.  

What Microsoft's idea does is give artists/labels the security that their music can be purchased as well as shared via social networks and heard by entirely new markets that their music may not normally penetrate. It is a good idea.  

However, I think that selling music at a dollar per song (or more) is an outmoded idea, in that it cannot be profitable or sustainable in the future--because I really don't think that people will continue to purchase music for so much money for singles, and if we wanted to support the artist with more money, we are limited by the prices set by the labels and artists.  This is especially true if they can listen to the song whenever they want as many times as they want already (hopefully via Spotify, of course).

Now since I love Spotify, and I believe that Spotify is changing the entire music business model with their innovation, I believe that Spotify should continue to compete strongly with the big-name online music outlets. 

Now here is my idea: instead of focusing selling the music per song or per album (that can be done too) , people should be given the option to *donate* their money to artists.  

The novelty of this is that with how much we love music and the artists that make them (one of my personal favorites is Linkin Park), many of us would be so inclined to want to support the music with our money.  If we love the artist's work, this  allows for us to not only buy an album (or two or three), but it allows for us to give more money than the cost of a single album.  For instance, I know that when Hybrid Theory came out, I was way more than willing to pay more money to keep Linkin Park making music. I must have bought the album 7 different times for gifts, special editions and replacements for theft.  

This especially benefits smaller artists/labels, because so many of them work so hard to put out quality music, and if people love their music, they may be willing to give more to keep their artists going.  I've personally seen this with several indie artists, like OrtoPilot, who I believe is ultra-talented (he plays 90-95% of all the instruments in his music and covers).

After all, what is a better way to harness people's intense love for music than by enabling them to directly empower the artists they love at the price that they set themselves? 

In case of tl;dr, the above basically says, add a "donate to this artist" button into spotify's app.

Hello there!

Sorry for the delay on updating this idea!

We really think this would be awesome, fans would be very happy to be able to donate the money to their favorite artists! I would personally do that! And you are sooo very right, we will benefit specially small artists….

Even though this is such a very good idea we will have to mark it as "Case Closed" for now…

Let me explain you the reason…hope you all understand.

Spotify pays out straight back to rightsholders, the record labels and collecting societies who in turn pay money to the artists, musicians, lyricists and composers that they represent. So we do not pay straight to artists…labels do that. For this reason and since all our music is based in the agreements with labels we can't do anything about this...

We might come back to it in the future though, so check this thread out for future updates...we think your idea of creating an app is very cool or maybe it is also easier to add this button in their actual artists page where they can manage their own money!

Thanks so much for your feedback! This was such an awesome post, very good quality…

Thanks again! :)

Comments
by TED209 on ‎02-12-2012 11:44 AM

I too had this idea, more or less...I think there should be an option for a "donation" subscription, pay £2 extra a month and it automatically goes to your mot listened to artist that month OR you can choose to donate to an artist of your choice instead. There might be "perks" offered for subscribers to this model.

One off donations should be implemented on top of this, so when you're drunk and listening to something amazing at 2 o'clock in the morning you can splash out in a frenzy of fandom.

by Hall of Fame on ‎02-12-2012 11:57 AM

Personally for me I don't feel the need for this. 

If I like the music, I still head over to amazon uk mp3 store to buy it (Maybe I should give Spotify mp3 downloads a go, I have just always used amazon for some reason!). 

Peter

by dlucero23 on ‎14-12-2012 07:43 AM
Most likely, Spotify needs to purchase the song rights from the rights holders before they can use their music for unlimited/limited streaming. One of the largest reasons for artists/record companies to agree to have their music included in a digital library is the amount of potential revenue that could come from it, compared to the amount of revenue if they chose another route. Opportunity Cost for record companies always involves inflating their bottom line. ...Which is why adding a 'donate to this artist' button is so important!!
by dlucero23 on ‎14-12-2012 07:46 AM
I really like Ted's spin on the donation idea. The extra $2 per month that could go to the most listened to artist is genius!
by Spotify ‎17-01-2013 05:35 PM - edited ‎17-01-2013 06:04 PM
Status changed to: Case Closed

Hello there!

Sorry for the delay on updating this idea!

We really think this would be awesome, fans would be very happy to be able to donate the money to their favorite artists! I would personally do that! And you are sooo very right, we will benefit specially small artists….

Even though this is such a very good idea we will have to mark it as "Case Closed" for now…

Let me explain you the reason…hope you all understand.

Spotify pays out straight back to rightsholders, the record labels and collecting societies who in turn pay money to the artists, musicians, lyricists and composers that they represent. So we do not pay straight to artists…labels do that. For this reason and since all our music is based in the agreements with labels we can't do anything about this...

We might come back to it in the future though, so check this thread out for future updates...we think your idea of creating an app is very cool or maybe it is also easier to add this button in their actual artists page where they can manage their own money!

Thanks so much for your feedback! This was such an awesome post, very good quality…

Thanks again! :)

by tobias_hedlund on ‎19-02-2014 10:43 PM

I want all my subscription money to go to the artists I listen to and no one else. It must be possible to create some new kind of subscription.

by avermat on ‎12-05-2014 02:41 PM

I think the easiest way to do this would be to add a $17/month subscription option.

The "rightsholders" would receive 30% of the first $10, and then 100% of the additional $7. This would "double" my payment to the "rightsholders" by artificially doubling my play count.

Announcements
ANNOUNCEMENTS

Ideas monthly review: July

Remember!: use SEARCH before posting. Your idea may have already been requested

Please have a look at the Community Guidelines in the welcome board.

Before posting a new idea, check out our idea submission guidelines

Want to know what happens to your ideas? "Check this out".

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count