Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
Larsenteam

OK, I am a web designer/programmer and with all your music allready being marked as Explicit and most the time having clean versions there is no reason this should take this long to offer a toggle on this instance. Please add a button to toggle explicit lyrics as MANY have been asking for years now.

Thank you,

Mark

Fantatwo2

So, you cant develop a screening function, yet i bet you mother**bleep**ers will take this profane post down from your board.  So, guess you are hypocrits, happy to take our money and apply duble standards when it suits?

Fantatwo2

So you are hypocrites! My last post was AUTOMATICALLY censored for bad language as it got posted.  You can do it for this site but not for your paying service......

TnTGeek

It's 2014 already! How long can this possibly take? If Spotify was serious about this, it would be done. If I can't listen to Spotify around half the members of my family, I am not going to keep paying full price. Fix this by the summer, or I am gone.

----------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

So, I stayed around a year longer than I said I would. With Applemusic coming out, if they include the filter, Spotify is dead. Even if you include it now, I will not stay, because I know you don't care about your customers. You will only be doing it because of competition. Just like you finally figured out that you should have a family plan. My subscription is being cancelled 6/30/2015!

d06t0r

Please add this!! This is one of the only things that keeps me from using spotify more often.  It's been over 2 years since you put it under consideration and it shouldn't take two years to make one simple button.  Heck, send me the code and I would even do it faster than you have done it.

Malachi9495

I want this so I can listen to the songs how they are supposed to be, not for children. I get tired of shuffling an artists songs and getting songs where everyother word is blurred out. This needs to happen.

jamestada

+1 this should have been a feature in verson 1 honestly.

I recently installed Spotify on my work computer and have it up all day. I can only listen to Jazz and Dance because of this missing feature. I have to go back to iTunes... 

Partywithtom

With all do respect what do you mean "under consideration"? I hate the fact when I'm listening to the radio and some song I am jamming to comes on and it is edited. I only expect to hear the song the way it was intended to be heard. Allow me to ONLY see explicit songs. I don't imagine the coding for that is that difficult. Plus I'm sure all the people who get offened by EVERYTHING will enjoy the fact that they can turn it off.

spotmole

Hey Spotify, it's 2014 and you surely can do this!

You're really leaving out those potential new subscribers and their money for every minute you don't have this. C'mon now.

For those who hate censorship: that's not what this is about. It's about giving paying customers a choice of not having to hear explicit lyrics (when they don't want to), or expose their friends, neighbors, co-workers or family members to it (when they don't want to). If you don't like this feature - when/if it ever becomes available - just leave it off.

worthers69

Hello Spotify?!!  Are you even reading these posts FFS!