Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
n0madic
+1 I love Spotify, but I can't let my son listen to it because there is no way to filter explicit songs. He has to use a different music service, which I think isn't as good as Spotify. The songs are already tagged, so I'm not sure what makes this such a difficult feature to implement...
garyeevans

I love Spotify, it's the greatest music service out there, and I recommend it all the time. However, we've GOT to have a way to automatically skip Explicit songs. It's been YEARS since this feature was suggested, and there is quite a bit of support behind it. What exactly is the hold up? Are we (the consumers) unaware of how hard this is to archtect or impliment? Are there too many explicit songs that aren't tagged Explicit, or what? I'm just confused as to why this feature takes years to add? What more do we need? More people to comment and ask for it? Tell us what to do next to get this done.

Thanks!

Gary

Serroots

Oh god please implement this! Would be perfect in the car with family and at work!

Really good solution to those MFs that want to listen to Explicit music.
Why destroy good music with explict content? Almost every kid learns swear word in some way.
I suport this idea. Explicit button!

cwsolomo

Please do this! This would be an excellent feature to have!  However, some songs that use explicit words are not labeled as such, so something would need to be updated that way.

ethornett

Adding my support for this. My Spotify feed shows up on Facebook (I've deliberately set it up to do that), and when I listen to random Spotify lists I don't appreciate listening to explicit lyrics, let alone having explicit songs show up in my FB feed. 

I completely agree, this would be an amazing feature, whether I am listening to Spotify radio or a play list at work or around my Nieces and Nephews. Pandora has this feature for their radio, I would hate to keep using Pandora when I could just keep it all on one media app.

Sherbert

Why was this feature not available from the get-go? Please add this functionality asap as Spotify is useless to me without this feature.

johnnyrhea

I do not see what the downside of this feature would be if it was an option for each user to enable or disable. Not to be snarky, can anyone from spotify explain why this even needs consideration?

savaii

My fellow users, please post your comments etc to their public pages like their twitter account or their facebook. As someone who has posted in this thread and is waiting for action from Spotify, I encourage you all to follow up with them via public channels as opposed to a forum thread comment which is easily overlooked and not as direct as tweet to their public page.

Links:

Twitter for Spotify: https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares (opens in new window)

Facebook for Spotify: http://bit.ly/spotifyFB (opens in new window)

Example: https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/492322170513940480; I posted a tweet to them and they actually replied. It isn't much, I'll admit and it seems to be a stall tactic because no specific information was given, but I was pleasantly surprised to get a response from them. I believe that if more of us, concerned users, post on their public pages, action will be taken sooner rather than later.

I apologize for the large font, but I wanted this comment to be noticeable and stand out when scanning through the thread.