Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
khustings1

Please please please.  This option is critical for me to be able to listen at work, and for me to protect our kids when they use it!

Thanks

thomash

The 1st request was submitted more than 2 years ago, why is it not available yet?

Altus

Why the delay on adding this feature.  I like to use the party playlists but frequently have to run to turn off explicit tracks or spend time adding all the tracks to a new playlist then manually deleting those marked as explicit.  Currently spotify is not family friendly due to this limitation certainly when explicit tracks appear in the kids party playlists.

Malhovic

What is the status of this option? Between the desktop app and the mobile app this would be a very useful feature.

It's very annoying having to search for an unedited album considering we sign up at over 18 and it defaults to the clean version of the album if both are present (on the artist's page). Having a button available could make this a lot better (especially considering when younger ears are in the vacinity).

MusicMom
Is there any response from Spotify on this request? This is becoming a deal-breaker for me as my kids now have tablets and want to use spotify too with headphones. I'm not comfortable without any parental controls. I'd rather go back to old fashion iTunes...waaaaaa, give me some kind of update to hold onto!
FranksBank

So this feature is presently "still under consideration"?? It doesn't require ANY consideration; it should just be a given. The option to remove obscene content from ANY publicly available platform should be a natural and instant part of the architecture. Otherwise the provider is, in essence, completely condoning the exposure of young and or sensistive users to things that any responsible person would work to protect them from.

Spotify is pretty much used like a radio these days. Radio stations don't air explicit music all hours of the day, and there's good reasons for that. It seems a little odd that those reasons need to be explained here.

I love Spotify, but at the moment only use the free version. One of the big reasons I don't upgrade is because I can't use Spotify for the many family gatherings I host or attend because of the inability to auto-skip tracks marked as 'explicit'. As such, I won't be spending my money just yet.

Spotify peeps: It's not rocket science. Crack on now, and give us the button 🙂

rpsetser731

Will this filter out all explicit songs in the search results?  That would be cool.  So if I am looking for a song, and there are two versions, only the edited version would come up in the search results.

thx

Dogaholics

We would very much like an option like this as well. We play spotify at our store and would really appreciate this option.

ibriggsy
I would love this feature, was playing a playlist by my brother and it there was an pretty bad song when we had some friends kids around. Even spotify playlist aren't safe from that perspective so a switchable filter would be a perfect solution.
mpotter0861

This would be such a great feature!  I listen to music quite a bit at work, so being able to turn on a "disable" button would be SO helpful!  Then, when I'm in my car or something, I can re-enable those kinds of songs.  I hope this is something that can be done!