Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] More Playlist Sorting Options/Columns

Sort options within Spotify are severely lacking.

First, what's lacking outright:

sort by year, total plays, personal playcount, current popularity, genre, tempo, etc.

On top of that, sorting should be stackable, e.g. sort by album by year, or sort artist by total plays, etc.

This could apply to within the artists' pages as well, allowing us to sort through all their songs to better find music that suits our tastes.

Updated on 2020-01-23

Hi folks. Thanks for all your votes and comments. We like this idea, but at the moment we're not planning to do this.

If something should change we'll be sure to come back and provide an update.

Comments
mbug90

bump

mbug90

bump

mrezawrr

Everyone should support this idea!

For a service that promotes music exploration and allows us an unprecedented amount of access to the works of artists we love/have come to love, Spotify's layout of albums is a buzzkill. I was scratching my head looking through the list of David Bowie and Velvet Underground albums. There were so many re-releases which made looking for the albums of said artists pretty darn hard for a person without prior knowledge of which albums are "real albums" and which are compilations etc. Also listening to artists in chronological order helps us appreciate the development of the artists from their roots, which is much more important than listening to a one-hit wonder/their top songs. 

If spotify is used as a music bank where people already know what songs they want to listen to and can search it up, then this layout doesn't change anything. However, for people who are getting into exploring music and want to listen to albums in full and in chronological order, this would make their experience so so much better. Plus giving us a better layout would make us more likely to spend more hours on spotify which is great for Spotify itself because they can push more annoying ads at us OR we'd reach the point where the benefits of the service outweigh the annoying ads and monthly cost, leading to more subscriptions. Either way Spotify wins. Please consider

CaptainObvious
Havent been looking in this thread since i created it. Nice it got some attention and activity in here. Still hoping to get better sortingfeatures... and to see any kind of progress on this would be great.
Steezebe

In iTunes, I sort my library Album by Album Artist by Year. When I'm browsing my lossless library I would like to see the albums in order from oldest to newest by the album artist. I can't even see a track number or personal rating in my library on Spotify? 

Winamp could do this 15 years ago... My Spotify experience may be as short-lived as foobar2000.

trumpdeck

Must have :

- path/folder columns to sort per location

- genre (may help too sort too)

Nice to have :

- tool to update the metadata in mass

nottmdave

BPM !!!

kevinpalooza

Doubt Spotify will implement anything that enhances local file playback. They want people streaming, not listening to their own files, unfortunately. Our requests are something music players have been able to do for 20 years..there's a reason they haven't added it.

All this will do is cause me to use MediaMonkey more. Bad move, Spotify.

top20fanatico

The thing that I want,being a spotify user,is a way to rearrange the columns,like what happens in folders of Windows SO,os we can move the columns and let Artist>Album>Song or Artist>Song>Album in this order,particurlaly in the playlist sectio,let the user deicide the best way to arrange the colmuns please! :z

Madvillain

please implement this... I'd love to be able to sort by year