Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments

I left Spotify for Beats, which I grew to REALLY like...the curated playlists and genre sections are done REALLY REALLY well.

But as news broke today that Beats Music as we currently know it will soon be going away (not that I wasn't expecting that to happen), I thought I'd come back to see what Spotify has been up too.  Specifically if they got rid of this INSANE saved song limit.

Nope, still here, and still means I can't use Spotify how I want.

Ridiculous.  

dustynewman
The idea of a cap on your "saved" tracks or your personal collection as people use this feature is arbitrary and absurd. My friend convinced me to give Spotify another try after a year or so on Rdio and I'm doing the trial but this is an issue for me. I have 15000 tracks in my Rdio "favorites" which is the equivalent. Why is this something the community needs to ask for at all? Needless to say I won't be switching if it isn't addressed.
Rektdanish

I'm a professional dj and use other services because of this limit. I love spotify but it just has too many issues. Not even big issues. Small pointless issues. But they are things that lose you customers. So why not implement them. This is one of them.

dinomight

So, I've never been in favor of a limit to Your Music, even from back when I was involved in the beta testing before it was released to the public. That said, we've been told for quite some time that improvements were coming, including a workaround that would make albums count as one item instead of several separate tracks. This would have allowed for people who save albums to save a great deal more content than if saving on a track by track basis. Here's the last post from a developer regarding that (from June).

Now, after about a month of troubleshooting, I've learned that the system has changed, but it is in fact even more limited. It turns out that albums now count as all their tracks + 1. In other words, if saving a normal 12 track album, it will actually be counted as 13 items in Your Music. This makes absolutely no sense, and if you are a heavy album listener like myself, it's super limiting. 500 albums count as 500 items in addition to the tracks themselves. Saving even more albums, you can probably see the valuable space that is being lost. The only workaround to this is to save tracks individually and not use the save album button. Personally, it's a bit too late for me to do that, unless I go back and unsave all of my albums. My track limit has effectively been lowered to about 9,000 because of this recent change to the system.

I feel like after months of waiting patiently for some form of increase to Your Music, we've now gone in the opposite direction and something needed to be said.

I've been using Google Play Music since it was launched because the Spotify Android app was pretty bad. Now that the Android and desktop apps have greatly improved, I find myself wanting to come back to Spotify. So I've set about adding all my albums to the "Your Music" section and hit this arbitrary limit pretty quickly.

Frankly this a deal breaker to me coming back to Spotify. I'm drawn in by the improved apps, the social features and support on so many devices but this limit really is a deal breaker.

I'm going back to Google Play. When Spotify reconsiders this stance, I may be back, but not before.

Antoine3323

This arbitrary limit is far too low for anyone with an extensive music library. I was excited by the Your Music section, as I assumed it would work similarly to the old Library function. I was tired of organizing my songs into different playlists, and simply wanted the capability to include my entire library in one. However, I was soon frustrated and disappointed yet again when I hit my song limit. I didn't realize there would be one.

I really like the new layout and design of everything, but this has to be changed.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now

2014-09-30

Hey folks, Spotify staff here. Right now we're marking this idea "Not Right Now". 

We're continuing to pass on your feedback around the Your Music limit and the moment we have an update on this we'll post right here. We want you all to be informed as this is over 100 kudos and if there's an upcoming change to Your Music we'll update the status here as well. Thanks everyone!

heinzgruber

oh, thats sad and a deal breaker. 

is there a reason for this? and is there an update coming or not?

msteenburg

I'm really disappointed to discover this limit. This functionality is exactly what i was looking for to switch over to Spotify full time but i think it might chase me back to keeping my own collection until it's sorted. 

I really can't understand how this has been depriortized. You've taken functionality away and replaced with something that doesn't work for your most dedicated users. The star system had no limit and you've replaced it with something that does. That just simply makes no sense. 

The discussion of seperating the Albums from the Tracks is just nonsensical as well. It's just a horrible idea. Most services have it the way you do and it's fine, different views of the same information. I'm pretty sure thats what most people want and expect from it. Seperating it just gives people more things to manage and adds confusion to what is very simple.  It just really ... really... shouldn't have a limit, none at all. Any limit makes no sense on any list in your application. 

If it's a limitation on the amount of items that load or impacts performace then fix that problem as opposed to adding arbitrary limits because of other problems. Progressive loading after 10,000 items would be way prefered to having a limit. Or add a lore more function, or pagination... or hell, just let it be slow for people with large libraries because even that would be prefered to having a limit. 

dinomight

I suppose this negates the last information we got from the developers. Very unfortunate news. Time to seriously consider a return to album playlists and folders.